Calls for legal same-sex marriage (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23623795-17044,00.html
RUDD Government moves to remove legal discrimination against gays and lesbians have reignited calls for legalisation of same sex marriage.

Federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland said today legislation would be introduced to modify 100 federal laws that discriminate against homosexual couples, but many of the reforms will not be implemented until 2009.

The Law Council of Australia applauded the move but said the job would not be complete until the Commonwealth Marriage Act was amended to remove legal restrictions preventing the marriage of same sex couples.

"As long as the Government remains intent on preserving a special class of state-sanctioned relationship which is closed to same-sex couples, discrimination will persist," Law Council president Ross Ray QC said.

The Government made it clear it would not recognise gay marriage, but will bring equality to gay and lesbian couples in the areas of tax, superannuation sharing, social security and Medicare entitlements.

"The Rudd Government is delivering on its election commitment to introduce legislation to remove same-sex discrimination from a wide range of Commonwealth laws," Mr McClelland said.

"It's long overdue and will make a practical difference to the everyday lives of a group of our fellow Australians who have been discriminated against for far too long."
It's about time

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah about time. But im still a no on marriage

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Apparently the ACT government is pushing to legalise gay civil unions pronto, before the next election.

Wouldn't the commonwealth just overturn this like the NT legal euthenasia back in the day?

Good to see legal equality for same sex couples, however Rudd labor is staunchly opposed to gay civil unions, marriage of any sort.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Hopefully within a decade or 2 it'll be as embarrassing to say you're "against" gays/gay marriage as it is now to say you're "against" black people

I believe it will be :D

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Speaking from ignorance here, but does "Marriage" in the Marriage Act refer to a civil union, or a "religious" marriage?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Hopefully within a decade or 2 it'll be as embarrassing to say you're "against" gays/gay marriage as it is now to say you're "against" black people

I will never be embarrassed by that.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:

Meh, I dont think that the dictatorship of relativism will last that long.
The various forms of the dissolution of matrimony today, like free unions, trial marriages and going up to pseudo-matrimonies by people of the same sex, are rather expressions of an anarchic freedom that wrongly passes for true freedom of man...from here it becomes all the more clear how contrary it is to human love, to the profound vocation of man and woman, to systematically close their union to the gift of life, and even worse to suppress or tamper with the life that is born
MYSTERY QUOTE who-said-it?

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
ACT introduces gay marriage legislation

The ACT will legislate to recognise same-sex civil marriages, the first Australian jurisdiction to properly confer such recognition.

ACT chief minister Jon Stanhope said Tasmania had a civil registration scheme but what was proposed for Canberra would be significantly different.

"It's an advance on a ... registration scheme. The civil union scheme or the Civil Union Act which we propose to pass in the ACT will essentially create domestic relationships," he told ABC radio.
"It won't be just a register of the existence of a relationship."

Mr Stanhope said the legislation that would ensure the same functional equality for same sex couples as for heterosexual couples.

Mr Stanhope said one choice was to do nothing and maintain the currently discriminatory position, accepting that discrimination against gays and lesbians was okay.

Another scheme was registration of the type which existed in Tasmania and other places as a first step towards recognising the reality of same-sex relationships.

"Then, there's the prospect of a civil union arrangement which does create a functional equality. It is quite significant as a matter of law," he said.

"There's very little to distinguish civil union from the legal impacts or affects of marriage. But a civil union is not a marriage."

Mr Stanhope said the civil union as proposed for ACT law would not impact on the definition of marriage within the Commonwealth Marriage Act which applies throughout the country.

He said legal advice was that the states and territories could not legislate for actual marriage and the ACT had not sought to do so.

"This is not an attack on marriage. This is an acceptance of other relationships for same-sex couples and indeed for those opposite sex couples who don't wish or don't choose to pursue a marriage under the Marriage Act."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/act-introduces-gay-marriage-legislation/2006/03/28/1143441116253.html

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
iron why did you delete my post...

it was suppose to mean that i agree with you.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
O. Well. That's different.
Though I like my praise to be more substantial than a smiley face deary

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
O. Well. That's different.
Though I like my praise to be more substantial than a smiley face deary
:)

Btw I was about to say the same thing but I saw that you beat me to it. So I thought there was no use in repeating it.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Letting adults do what they want in their private life has nothing to do with relativism unless you're a bible pounding lunatic

EDIT: unless you also believe racism only became unacceptable due to relativism, lol

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Racism and gay marriage is a long bow to draw.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Letting adults do what they want in their private life has nothing to do with relativism unless you're a bible pounding lunatic
Having legal rights in public is not part of "private life"

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Not necessarily. I don't think homophobia (and by extension, opposition to gay CIVIL marriage) and racism isn't all that far removed - in each case, its the hatred of a minority that is superficially "different" from the hater.

Unless I am wrong.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Well lets just lump every minority together with our criticism.
All homosexuals are islamic terrorists. If you support homosexuality, you support terrorism

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)