• Best of luck to the class of 2019 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • Like us on facebook here

Can anyone else see the humour??? (1 Viewer)

samruss

New Member
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
2
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
I would just like to point out the humour in the fact that, a career (like my chosen one) as an officer in the army, completely depends on me be able to analyse shakespeares worst play ever (the tempest) and numerous other pathetic english texts. If anyone is in a similar position to me, please let me know, so i can see if my life was somewhat lessened by a fucked up english exam?
 

clairejw

New Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
15
Location
Sydney
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
Mm I fail to see the need for English. a pointless subject, in my opinion.
 

meteorangela

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2006
Messages
76
Location
Sydney
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
Agree. who the hell neeeds to know how to interpret texts or filmic techniques.. who CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
H

housemouse

Guest
I dont think I'd be analysing a newspaper for language techniques and how they convey meaning.
 

mara0123

New Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2005
Messages
6
Location
Milperra
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2006
they actually made mention of that on the news when they were talking about the consideration of making a hsc for australia rather than just NSW and they said that we need to go back to the basics of english rather than learning about king lear which couldnt possibly provide life experience or anything of relevance for life after school
 

purplepixie

New Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
29
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
I don't see the humour at all :|

I can understand the need for spelling and grammar but not the crap they make us do.
 

RingerINC

BBoy OG Loc Gangsta
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Messages
571
Location
In The Circle
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
samruss said:
I would just like to point out the humour in the fact that, a career (like my chosen one) as an officer in the army, completely depends on me be able to analyse shakespeares worst play ever (the tempest) and numerous other pathetic english texts. If anyone is in a similar position to me, please let me know, so i can see if my life was somewhat lessened by a fucked up english exam?
Technically only a fifth relys on it.
 

yoda109

High Monk
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
31
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
Oh, I don't know. Understanding strange requirements, using only the authority-endorsed terminology, being able to write bullshit and thinking inside the box seem like perfect qualities of military officers.

>:p
 

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Messages
1,030
Gender
Female
HSC
N/A
Do you have to go to uni to be an army officer?
 

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Messages
752
Location
The Void
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
I think he need at least SOME qualification. Just finishing HSC, regardless of mark, may be enuff...

-P_D
 

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
Joined
Nov 13, 2005
Messages
2,086
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
As people have pointed out before, English is not designed to develop your ability to deconstruct texts. It is to develop generic analytical skills and enhance writing ability.

Advanced English is an advanced course. The idea (I think) is that Standard is more language-based, whereas Advanced is more about ideas behind texts.
 

Davriel

Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
102
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
Okay, here's how the real world works:

We live in a world where drama, especially classical, is slowly dissappearing and where modern technology and audiences no longer understand Shakespeare's texts, languages, humour.

Also, much of Shakespeare's plays are highly bigoted, which is something that confirms the Australian culture. Joy (insert sarcasm here). Furthermore, I've been to plays, including Shakespeare, and they all suck. He panders to the common people of the 1500s, all of whom are dead.

I want to teach English and write, but I see no point of having Shakespeare as a text. Perhaps if the Board of Studies went out of their offices and into the real world they'll learn that the only Shakespeare people know of is "Shakespeare in Love", and that's not a certainty.
 

*~Anna~*

New Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
6
Location
NSW
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
I must admit how happy I am to see I am not the only person failing to see the point of english. How about the people in charge of english at the bos sits down and writes a syllabus worthy of our time.:mad1: Do they not see that punctuation and eloquent speech would be far more important than analysing the morbidity of shakespeares death filled plays, I mean really.. do they want us all to feel suicidal or am i the only one noticing how depressing most of the texts are... hamlet ends in death, king lear ends in death, wuthering heights more death.. what is with the whole death concept??? So my idea would be to teach people how to spell and punctuate rather than getting them to write essays that aren't even gramatically correct! So board of studies I hope you read this, open your eyes this is the 21st century not the 1800s nor the 1600s! (End of rant):burn:
 

*~Anna~*

New Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
6
Location
NSW
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
Oh yes and i do realise this is a thread concerning AOS however I am ranting about english overall, how is interpreting a physical journey going to help me in my pursuit of a career OTHER than an english teacher anyhow.. just thought I should mention that because no doubt there are ppl out there who would take it as opportunity to shoot down my good rant.
 

RingerINC

BBoy OG Loc Gangsta
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Messages
571
Location
In The Circle
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
Schroedinger said:
You're wrong in your interpretations and you're a fucking idiot. The theatre scene in Australia is going really strong.

You're going to fail your HSC. Enjoy, retard.

English is a fucking waste of time but it's easy to get good marks, you're jackasses if you can't.
So that's how you spell "burn"...
 

frankyd

starlight woo!
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
61
Location
northern beaches
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
mara0123 said:
they actually made mention of that on the news when they were talking about the consideration of making a hsc for australia rather than just NSW and they said that we need to go back to the basics of english rather than learning about king lear which couldnt possibly provide life experience or anything of relevance for life after school
What are you talking about?

English teaches you to appreciate literature and the value of texts in general. It gives you life skills in the fact that you have the ability to understand, perceive and think about concepts/ideas/things in general in a variety of different ways.

I understand people don't like the subject but I think it should stay compulsory and definately is worthwhile
 

fallen__angel

Nocturnal Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
70
Location
in a dark basement somewhere
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
Uni Grad
2009
*~Anna~* said:
I must admit how happy I am to see I am not the only person failing to see the point of english. How about the people in charge of english at the bos sits down and writes a syllabus worthy of our time.:mad1: Do they not see that punctuation and eloquent speech would be far more important than analysing the morbidity of shakespeares death filled plays, I mean really.. do they want us all to feel suicidal or am i the only one noticing how depressing most of the texts are... hamlet ends in death, king lear ends in death, wuthering heights more death.. what is with the whole death concept??? So my idea would be to teach people how to spell and punctuate rather than getting them to write essays that aren't even gramatically correct! So board of studies I hope you read this, open your eyes this is the 21st century not the 1800s nor the 1600s! (End of rant):burn:
Antony&Cleo(powerplay) commits suicide:bomb: , and there's a constant theme of death and despair in Skrzynecki poems. no wonder there's a certain gloom around HSC students...
 

Froy

New Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
2
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
yeh i was thinkin today... english is bullsh*t once you get to this level... its like you learn the language from infantcy, then people cant let it go, so they drag it out by analysing SH*T poetry by a SH*T martyr of an immigrant poet - analysing texts is a crime against literature and english in general. they were never meant to be analysed, they were meant to be felt. like if you read tim winton interviews, or watch them, he always looks at the interviewer funny when they ask what the significance of the blackfella is.... THERE IS NONE! GET OVER IT! grrr. and i used to like english...
 

daniel.graham

Artiste Extraordinaire
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
8
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
samruss said:
I would just like to point out the humour in the fact that, a career (like my chosen one) as an officer in the army, completely depends on me be able to analyse shakespeares worst play ever (the tempest) and numerous other pathetic english texts. If anyone is in a similar position to me, please let me know, so i can see if my life was somewhat lessened by a fucked up english exam?
Actually, doesn't it depend on your inability to analyse the Tempest? Don't you need, what, a 75 UAI to get into ADFA? Tough stuff there. Come back when you can write something a bit less pathetic. If you fail that piss-easy test, you have no one to blame but yourself, so lay off Billy Shakespeare.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top