Can Anyone Help: Distribution of income (1 Viewer)

M-THIS

Hey, just stuck for some ideas of govenrment policies aimed at reducing the inequality of income distribution.

they don't cover it at all in the purple BLUMER book!

And only very slightly cover it in DIXON!
not in excel either!

alman

really... i think distribution of income really sucks...even my economics head teacher said that it was really pointless...i dont see the point in it either..but maybe thats my capitalist spirit..

M-THIS

yeah like what? tax and what else!

its for an essay mate, need more than 4 words!

is social security and cheaper travel and shit like that fiscal policies as well? i don't think so, is it?

Thanks anayway for your help ashwin

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
social welfare is fiscal. cheaper travel? since when is public transport cheap?!?

fiscal is anything that involves government paying or collecting money.
I really think this topic is stoopid, given the current context. ie. politicians with huge incomes get huge tax cut and normal ppl get a few bucks off and then stabbed in the back.

Basically, government collects income tax. I've 4gotten the details, but talk about income brackets. 1/2 that money then goes into Howard's retirement fund, and a lil bit is circulated to the poor.
This circulation comes in many forms. These include subsidies for medical suscriptions (which have jacked up prices in the first place) for the elderly, things like youth allowance and milk money, pensions (for widows, old ppl etc).

Try find info on it under economic issues. Don't take my word for it, we didn't cover it much in detail either. Who knows, maybe howard pockets 2/3. *shrugs*

jk

White tiger
both marcoeconomic & microeconimic approaches can be used to reduce the level of income inequality..

firstly, gov can reduce inequality by reducing unemployment rate which could be done thru expansionary macroeconomic policies..

more spending on welfare system + progressive taxation could also be methods.....

microeconomic reform of labour market for higher efficiency could also b the way to reduce unemployment , which will also reduce income inequality

and....effort to reduce inequality of wealth could also be done by gov as income and wealth have correlation..

hope it helps...that's all i can come up with now :)

goldenphoenix1

HSC
jk said:
both marcoeconomic & microeconimic approaches can be used to reduce the level of income inequality..

firstly, gov can reduce inequality by reducing unemployment rate which could be done thru expansionary macroeconomic policies..

more spending on welfare system + progressive taxation could also be methods.....

microeconomic reform of labour market for higher efficiency could also b the way to reduce unemployment , which will also reduce income inequality

and....effort to reduce inequality of wealth could also be done by gov as income and wealth have correlation..

hope it helps...that's all i can come up with now :)
oh my
unemployment is correct
get people out and in the workforce earning more than the two dollars centrelink gives you
Expansionary macroeconomic policies or stimulatory methods do not address inequality directly.
Decreasing the Bracket sizes in the progressive taxation system is a fundamental possible policy. Eliminating "bracket creep" of those in lower incomes, forced to pay higher taxes and slide back down the slippery dip of income earners. Creating a more exclusive and detailed system of spending and taxation. (Family spending, child support for single parents (lowest income earners), disabled benefits)
Funding of Public Charitable organisations
Microeconomic Reform:
No!
I'll tell you why
first off;
When you have income inequality, an economic benefit pointed out in all hsc textbooks...even the crappy ones, is the occurance of more productivity. People are encouraged by the thoughts of attaining a higher wage, and are forced to work harder, longer and replace portions of their leisure time for income. (leisure is an opportunity cost/ effect is called the substitution effect)
Microeconomic Reform is almost entirely unnessecary when addressing income inequality.
secondly
To reduce costs, most employer's do not want to spend money to do so. Easiest factor of production today to get rid of; Good ol' Bob on the minimum wage. Also Structural change in industries may just result in structural unemployment.

Also, because wages make up the income of most people, and people on lower incomes soley rely on government payouts and wages, addressing wealth will only have impacts on the other strata.

The point is, when looking at policies look strictly at fiscal policy, and the reformation of some of the systems in place. In terms of wages look at the "Safety Net Wage", compulsory Superannuation. Most of the time working on the upper strata of income earner's is pointless as a large percentage earn income and wealth from capital, assets and other forms as well as wages, and make up that difference quicker than the government can take.

Note: When discussing the Australian economy DO NOT USE THE QUOTE (CLICHE) : "THE RICH GET RICHER AND THE POOR GET POORER"
Simply not true.
Growth in equivalised household disposable income has shown that all bands of earners in Australia have a greater amount to spend than they did before. It is just that the lower income bands have not grown as much as the higher bands.

Godspeed

HSC
M-THIS said:
Hey, just stuck for some ideas of govenrment policies aimed at reducing the inequality of income distribution.

they don't cover it at all in the purple BLUMER book!

And only very slightly cover it in DIXON!
not in excel either!
I'm just going to write some policies, you can expand on them for your essay/research them.

- Progressive taxation system -> the more you earn the more tax you pay

- Transfer payments -> social security and the like

- Compulsory superannuation -> ensures that people will have money when they retire, if not they can rely on pension [example of a transfer payment]

- Various microeconomic policies involved in re-training the labour force to "upskill" them so they can earn a higher income. Examples include: "Welfare to work"

sk8ie_boi

peaker
HSC
kokodamonkey said:
buzz words. "The policy mix".
Yeah ... pretty much: progressive tax system and welfare

Unless you want to go in detail. Then you talk about "Union!" ... and now this goes into a difference between a Coordinated Market Economy and Liberial Market Economy. In CMEs, govt. support union involvment.. therefore through collective agreements ==> for equal distribution of income. Vice versa for LMEs such as Australia with WorkChoice (individual contracts/agreement).

Since your doing an essay. You can state why a large gap in the distribution of income is bad? How it affects economic growth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)