Can ATAR be changed? (1 Viewer)

HSC
My school got my internal rank for physics wrong, they forgot to add one of my assignments, so its 7 ranks lower than it should be. Is this fixable or am I stuck with my bad internal mark. The internal is assessment mark/grade right?

HSC
I didn't know I could check my assessment rank after the HSC so I didn't know if my school sent the correct rank or not, but now I know they didn't because my friend who was actually ranked lower got higher than me

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You are correct in that the Assessment Mark/Grade reflects your internal performance in a particular subject (in this case, Physics). Essentially, NESA offers HSC results services, but while this is the case, none of these services apply to the Assessment Mark. Instead, they target HSC exams; for instance, the HSC Results Check provides students who believe that an Examination Mark is not consistent with their expectation with the opportunity to confirm that their mark was processed correctly, after which their Examination Mark either remains the same or is corrected. An increase in the student's ATAR may also follow as a result. This service therefore targets the Examination Mark, which is not helpful in your case.

As much as I sympathise with your situation, I doubt that you can do much to change your Assessment Mark at this stage. This is because your Assessment Mark has already been determined based on the assumption that you were fully aware of your rank and that not informing your teacher that it is incorrect implies that you are satisfied with it and believe that it is correct. NESA states that you should immediately speak to your teacher if you believe that your rank is incorrect, which was possible for you once NESA made your ranks available and thus constitutes grounds for not changing your Assessment Mark.

The only possibility of being treated as an exception is in the event that you were not informed in any way that you would gain access to your ranks in your subjects after the HSC exams, in which case this would not be a fault of yours. If this is what happened, it would be a good idea to contact NESA to see whether something can be done to rectify this issue.

All the best! 😄

HSC
You are correct in that the Assessment Mark/Grade reflects your internal performance in a particular subject (in this case, Physics). Essentially, NESA offers HSC results services, but while this is the case, none of these services apply to the Assessment Mark. Instead, they target HSC exams; for instance, the HSC Results Check provides students who believe that an Examination Mark is not consistent with their expectation with the opportunity to confirm that their mark was processed correctly, after which their Examination Mark either remains the same or is corrected. An increase in the student's ATAR may also follow as a result. This service therefore targets the Examination Mark, which is not helpful in your case.

As much as I sympathise with your situation, I doubt that you can do much to change your Assessment Mark at this stage. This is because your Assessment Mark has already been determined based on the assumption that you were fully aware of your rank and that not informing your teacher that it is incorrect implies that you are satisfied with it and believe that it is correct. NESA states that you should immediately speak to your teacher if you believe that your rank is incorrect, which was possible for you once NESA made your ranks available and thus constitutes grounds for not changing your Assessment Mark.

The only possibility of being treated as an exception is in the event that you were not informed in any way that you would gain access to your ranks in your subjects after the HSC exams, in which case this would not be a fault of yours. If this is what happened, it would be a good idea to contact NESA to see whether something can be done to rectify this issue.

All the best! 😄
No I did tell my teacher, that's how I knew I was ranked 7 ranks lower originally, I saw on her screen that when she actually added my marks it went from 25 to 18. This was like a week after our trials results were given. I don't know what my teacher is doing tbh she's been making mistakes the whole year

carrotsss

HSC
That really sucks, and I suppose there’s not much you can do about it. Will this stop you from getting into your course?

HSC
That really sucks, and I suppose there’s not much you can do about it. Will this stop you from getting into your course?
Well because of this I missed out on 2 bonus points for UTS, I dont know how much effect it would have on the actual atar, but yeah it does stop me based on previous selection ranks.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
No I did tell my teacher, that's how I knew I was ranked 7 ranks lower originally, I saw on her screen that when she actually added my marks it went from 25 to 18. This was like a week after our trials results were given. I don't know what my teacher is doing tbh she's been making mistakes the whole year
NESA could still deny any such request on the basis that, despite the fact that you did speak to your teacher, you did not follow up on the matter and did not make sure that your rank was definitely corrected. At the same time, this sounds like incompetence on your teacher's end, which you had nothing to do with, and this could be sufficient for your request to be considered. In any case, it is best to contact NESA. The earlier you do this, the better.

nathanzhou1234

HSC
Unfortunately I think it's too late cause u missed the deadline after HSC exams, but just call NESA just in case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)