Can I Believe In God In My Own Way? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I'm a bit irritated at the moment. I spoke to this girl and she told me that I'm not a real christian because I have friends who are gay, I don't go to church, I've hurt my parents because I moved out (ie, thou shall honour thy mother and father) and that my boyfriend and I get interesting every now and then.

This coming from a girl who believes in Adam and Eve literally. Which I don't. I thought it was more of the meaning that comes out of it - the fact that representing the start of the human race as two people meant that God created us ALL, and that we should treat each other like family, not literally blood related.

I don't want this to be a discussion about whether God exists, but whether or not religion can or should be accepted as more or less fluid.

I cannot believe that after so many translations, so many changes of the Bible - and so many changes in societal values, that one can actually "truly" worship the "original" religion.

Can religion be fluid? Or am I going to hell?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Yes you are. Sorry, the jews were right.

HSC
kill the girl...for me, i hate ppl like that.

and yes u can do whatever u want religion sucks and is for the stupid and mentally enslaved imo.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
neo_o said:
Yes you are. Sorry, the jews were right.

hmm, nice.

i guess i couldn't expect any other answers except that. considering no one seems to have the grounds to say whether or not a religion can, or should be fluid.

theoretically, i think so. but as far as society goes, and the increasingly-conservative power of the world thinks so, then yes, I am going straight to hell.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
i guess i couldn't expect any other answers except that.
Stupid answers for stupid questions. You're asking whether you can believe in god your own way, then attacking another girl because of her own beliefs. Good one.

considering no one seems to have the grounds to say whether or not a religion can, or should be fluid.
Religion is only what you make of it.

but as far as society goes, and the increasingly-conservative power of the world thinks so, then yes, I am going straight to hell.
There are conservative Western governments. Therefore I'm going to hell. QED.

Generator

HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
Institutional religion, no. Religious faith, yes.

What is it that you believe in, the structure of the church or the force that is beyond comprehension (i.e., your god)?

As far as I am concerned it is your interpretation of the faith, not the church's, that gets you through life. Many would disagree, but eh, that happens.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
neo_o said:
Stupid answers for stupid questions. You're asking whether you can believe in god your own way, then attacking another girl because of her own beliefs. Good one.
i don't remember implying that I attacked her. We actually had a pretty good (and heated) discussion.... but ah well.

neo_o said:
Religion is only what you make of it.
Well then you've answered my question :) differently this time though....

neo_o said:
There are conservative Western governments. Therefore I'm going to hell. QED.
i'll see you there.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
im muslim
i say believe what you want
i believe what i want..
and thats to believe solidly in islam
if you have ur own set of beliefs then so be it
no one can tell you what you are..only God can judge you
assuming u believe in God...etc

iamsickofyear12

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I'm a bit irritated at the moment. I spoke to this girl and she told me that I'm not a real christian because I have friends who are gay, I don't go to church, I've hurt my parents because I moved out (ie, thou shall honour thy mother and father) and that my boyfriend and I get interesting every now and then.

This coming from a girl who believes in Adam and Eve literally. Which I don't. I thought it was more of the meaning that comes out of it - the fact that representing the start of the human race as two people meant that God created us ALL, and that we should treat each other like family, not literally blood related.

I don't want this to be a discussion about whether God exists, but whether or not religion can or should be accepted as more or less fluid.

I cannot believe that after so many translations, so many changes of the Bible - and so many changes in societal values, that one can actually "truly" worship the "original" religion.

People like you piss me off. Either you are in or you are out. You can't sit on the fence, take out the parts that aren't convinient for you but still cover your bases in case you die. It's 100% or don't even bother.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
People like you piss me off. Either you are in or you are out. You can't sit on the fence, take out the parts that aren't convinient for you but still cover your bases in case you die. It's 100% or don't even bother.

what do you think 'neo-[inset ideology]'s are for?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
what do you think 'neo-[inset ideology]'s are for?
If you make a concious decision to ignore certain elements of christianity because they don't suit you then you need to stop being a pussy and accept the consequences of your actions, which means going to hell.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
If you make a concious decision to ignore certain elements of christianity because they don't suit you then you need to stop being a pussy and accept the consequences of your actions, which means going to hell.

but maybe you believe in a higher power (lets just call 'him' god because its conventional) but don't agree with some of the more extreme(ly stupid) aspects of christian 'morality'

hatty

Banned
i am obliged to agree with sickofyear12.

either you follow the rules of Christianity, or you go make ur own religion that suits you better.

if you dont like what they preach, then move on. you cant just do things that suit you well and ignore things that dont suit you well.

HSC
hatty said:
i am obliged to agree with sickofyear12.

either you follow the rules of Christianity, or you go make ur own religion that suits you better.

if you dont like what they preach, then move on. you cant just do things that suit you well and ignore things that dont suit you well.

yes you can, it's called freedom of choice.

Poon-Tang

HSC
ur_inner_child said:

Now days being a christian is being someone who beleives the "Apostles' Creed" which is that thing that goes:
1. "I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:

2. And in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord:

3. Who was conceived by the Holy spirit, born of the Virgin Mary:

4. Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:

5. The third day he rose again from the dead:

6. He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of the Father:

7. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead:

8. I believe in the Holy Spirit:

9. I believe in the holy catholic church: the communion of saints:

10. The forgiveness of sins:

1l. The resurrection of the body:

12. And the life everlasting. Amen."

In that sence you could do whatever else you wanted and still be a christian.

However I believe its much more simple than that, john 3:16 says "for God so loved the world that he gave his only son, so that whoever belives in him shall not perish but have eternal life"
I believe that if you belive jesus christ was the son of god, came to eath and died for you sin that you are a christian and will go to heaven.
Although despite what you do, dont do, are doing you should still be trying to live right and live Godly, although the hunger to do what is Godly will come after you have accepted jesus into your heart.

hatty

Banned
well yeah, she can do what she wants, no ones stopping her, but im just saying it doesnt make sense. Christianity has rules to follow, if you arent going to follow their rules, then why do u call urself a christian? i just cant understand why someone would claim to be a christian and then purposely ignore some aspects that makes christianity, christianity.

to me, it just does not make sense that someone would sit there and think "well i dont like these aspects of christianity, so ill just ignore them, but i like these aspects, so ill follow them, therefore im a christian, and a damn good one 2"

you dont have to be a christian to believe in god.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
LOL, you can be one of those wankers you say "I'm not religious but I'm spiritual".

Or alternatively you could just be an agnostic - you believe in a Creator, but you believe that He (for the sake of argument) is unknowable and not necessarily involved in our lives in any way.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
As far as I know, all you need to do is ask for forgiveness once before you die and really mean it and you will be forgiven and go to heaven. So I guess you can do whatever you like. But if you are just going to make up your own rules you are not really christian, so don't call yourself one.

Jaydels

HSC
Argonaut said:
Who knowns, you might actually be the one person to have gotten it right.
that's true

There are so many different religions at present, how do you know which is right? They can't all be 100% right, so it's up to the individual and what they believe in. I don't believe you can be told what is right by other people either. Maybe we've all gotten it wrong, but there's no way of finding out.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
As far as I know, all you need to do is ask for forgiveness once before you die and really mean it and you will be forgiven and go to heaven. So I guess you can do whatever you like. But if you are just going to make up your own rules you are not really christian, so don't call yourself one.
So being a devout Christian involves blindly following the Holy Bible word for word? Then I'll ask God to smite you with the help of my army and pillage all that's yours in the name of the 'Christian' God for this is how they do it in the Old Testament; The REAL Bible. None of this pansy love thy brother stuff, forgive your enemies I'm going to conquer worlds in the name of the Holy Father. Good one :rolleyes: Your saying everyone who doesn't follow Christianity to its extremities will be sent to hell. All those suicide bombers martyring themselves have got it right cause they are doing it the way it should be. Wiping out infidels who don't believe in their God.

You forget that being a Christian means different things to other people but that the most IMPORTANT thing is to believe in God. Not some crap concocted by the Catholic Church which spawned a thousand variations of it's teaching.

Personal Belief > Organised Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)