• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can I get a 90~ ATAR? (2 Viewers)

svad

HSC
Hii,
Im currently doing End Adv, but I just got my prelims back (b4~) and I'm considering dropping to standard. However I heard standard can drag down your ATAR, but I know I can get a high band 5 in English standard. If I were to drop, could I still get a 90+ ATAR?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Hii,
Im currently doing End Adv, but I just got my prelims back (b4~) and I'm considering dropping to standard. However I heard standard can drag down your ATAR, but I know I can get a high band 5 in English standard. If I were to drop, could I still get a 90+ ATAR?
90+ ATAR is still pretty achievable, the highest ATAR somebody got with English Advanced was 99+ pretty sure (I forgot the exact one but it was a high 99). If you're looking to maximise your ATAR however, I highly recommend you stick with Advanced - the workload is pretty identical and I would argue so would the difficulty level, except Advanced tends to have a more academic cohort which can pull you up for exams and can help you learn better. Because of this while the scaling for Standard and Advanced is the same the alignment is much better for Advanced and you are more likely to get a higher mark in Advanced than in Standard as long as you put in the effort. A lot of kids from my school including my own friends did Advanced and did horribly in prelims in Y11 (think Band 4 too) but put consistent effort throughout the HSC year and ultimately ended up with comfortable Band 6s. I wouldn't recommend dropping down to Standard but if you do, if you can still put effort there a 90+ ATAR is a certainty as long as you work on your other subjects and do well on them too

sainzsgf

HSC
keep advanced, my grades for prelims were shocking and i wanted to drop down bad but i stuck through it and did better in my assesments + trial this year. the resources online for year 12 english are way better than year 11, so you can look at heaps of exemplars and learn from them. so yeah if you're dissapointed by your marks this year, next year should be heaps better

Chiprr

Somewhat Active Member
HSC
My marks won’t be nearly as good as some other peoples here, my school is projecting my hsc score to be mid 80s or so. I got 79 in my trial (bottled mod c hard) and got below 70 in prelims. Everyone improves in year 12, texts are better and advanced is certainly more interesting than standard. Performing consistently is the important part for advanced (I’m at a low ranked school and averaged 16/17 for every essay with a rare 18 and ranked 18/78 or something). Not an inspirational story by any means, but I kept advanced and improved a lot and I’m decently happy with where I am now, just need to do well for hsc

svad

HSC
erm btw I meant band 3 for adv lmao.... english is clearly my weak point (tbf i didn't put any real effort in). I was at a band 4-5 assessments through the year, but prelims...

I understand English may be better in yr 12, but will it take more effort than yr 11? I don't know if this is an obvious 💀

Last edited:

Chiprr

Somewhat Active Member
HSC
erm btw I meant band 2 for adv lmao.... english is clearly my weak point (tbf i didn't put any real effort in). I was at a band 4-5 assessments through the year, but prelims...

I understand English may be better in yr 12, but will it take more effort than yr 11? I don't know if this is an obvious 💀
While I did get a tutor for year 12 to get better, in all honesty just at school, year 12 felt easier to get through and was more enjoyable. If you want to improve, then it definitely will take more effort, but moving into year 12 also comes with teachers prioritising you, so you work and practice essays and drafts will be marked quickly. Teachers really care about you and helping you do well so improving definitely feels easier. Also, as mentioned previously, a lot more high mark responses available to find so getting inspiration and tips is quite easy. Since the first year 12 module is common across standard and advanced, you can always take the first assessment, see how you do, and decide to drop from there (I think most schools allow this)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)