Can Internal Mark be higher than External Mark? (1 Viewer)

Salayman

HSC
Hello I was just wondering, if you were ranked near the top of your school for a particular subject, and the people above and below you smashed the external exam (while you didn't), is it likely your internal will be higher than your external mark?

Mrmellow

HSC
I am not sure how internal and external marks work. According to my friend (yes, I know, quite a reliable source, not), say there is person A and B, A gets 90 in internals and B gets 85, they are ranked 1st and 2nd in the school. A got 99 the HSC and B got 98. Does that mean their internal marks change to 99 and 98 respectively, and the get a total mark of 99 and 98? Thanks

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Once scenario is that a top student at school performs below expectations in the hsc exam, yet another individual scores a high mark in the hsc exam. The first student's internal would be similar to this

Rockmelt

HSC
Was ranked 3rd internally in a course last year, but lost a few too many marks externally. Essentially my internal mark was almost 10 marks higher than my external mark.

Cohort was fucking nuts though, all 10 of us got Band 6s I think.

So yes, and it can be substantially higher.

Flop21

HSC
Once scenario is that a top student at school performs below expectations in the hsc exam, yet another individual scores a high mark in the hsc exam. The first student's internal would be similar to this
I don't really understand this.

Could someone explain it further? Say I do really well in my internal exams, and get top ranks. But I do crap in the HSC exam. Does this effect me at all? Or will it just effect the person who did well in the HSC exam.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Could someone explain it further? Say I do really well in my internal exams, and get top ranks. But I do crap in the HSC exam. Does this effect me at all? Or will it just effect the person who did well in the HSC exam.
m9 stop worrying about how this works just leave it to BOSTES

Just aim to do your best in all your subjects

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
yes

all my internals bar one were better than my externals

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

It has an effect on everyone in your class theoretically. The total marks your whole class obtains will be used to calculate your moderated assessment mark respective to your rank in class and the difference between ranks. Hence if you get a lower examination mark, in total there is less marks for yourself and your whole class in general to obtain.

Mrmellow

HSC
No, I was just wondering, I know my internals are probs going to be much worse for chem as my teacher just slashes marks in pracs and tiny errors in the exam (the smart kid of our class who has a predicted atar of 99+ only got 86 for chem). So, my question is, if say he gets like 99 in the hsc will his internals be changed?

D94

HSC
N/A
No, I was just wondering, I know my internals are probs going to be much worse for chem as my teacher just slashes marks in pracs and tiny errors in the exam (the smart kid of our class who has a predicted atar of 99+ only got 86 for chem). So, my question is, if say he gets like 99 in the hsc will his internals be changed?
Your assessment marks aren't changed on a basis of an individual performance. It is the cohort's performance that matters. All assessment marks will be adjusted to fit within the highest and lowest HSC exam marks, regardless of who achieved those marks. So getting 99 helps everyone because it raises the higher bound. This can be helped with the lower bound, i.e. the lowest HSC exam mark, being as high as possible.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I think you are getting confused. If your teacher marks harshly, how is this going to drag down the internal marks of the whole class?

There is a reason why it is a moderated assessment mark. Just because the top student in your class got 86, doesn't mean they get 86. The marks are moderated based on the performance of your whole class in the final exams.

Really, the only thing of importance is your rank and the difference between the ranks. The actual hard marks obtained in class are not used, but rather a moderated mark based on your whole cohort's performance in the final exams is used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)