Can someone give me advice and suggestions on how to study properly? (1 Viewer)

denisea

HSC
Hey, so I want to do well in school but like my body kind of stops me from doing that. I procrastinate and find other things to do that isn't my work. I want to do better but I don't know how. Can someone help me please?

Zyphronic

HSC
May I have an example of things you do when you procrastinate? Do you go on your phone? Binge Netflix on your laptop?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, so I want to do well in school but like my body kind of stops me from doing that. I procrastinate and find other things to do that isn't my work. I want to do better but I don't know how. Can someone help me please?
Write down your goals everyday. This will give you an incentive to complete them.

I had the same problem as you and I thought this would never work, but surprisingly it did and I was procrastinating soo much less. My productivity actually sky rocketed.

denisea

HSC
May I have an example of things you do when you procrastinate? Do you go on your phone? Binge Netflix on your laptop?
I usually watch stuff on netflix or youtube, my boyfriend lives in a different time zone so when he's awake I usually call him.

denisea

HSC
Write down your goals everyday. This will give you an incentive to complete them.

I had the same problem as you and I thought this would never work, but surprisingly it did and I was procrastinating soo much less. My productivity actually sky rocketed.
Thank you so much! How many goals roughly and where did you display it?

Zyphronic

HSC
1. Get someone to keep you accountable
I personally use Habitica (I recommend checking out) and have a friend that keeps me accountable

2. The Pomodoro method (as mentioned before) is really useful for building effective study habits. Why? Although it consists of a 25 minutes of concentrated study and a 5 minute break, it can really help you get started on your task and overcome that original procrastination. After several sessions, you may reward yourself with something. Maybe an episode of something on Netflix.

3. Get rid of all distractions before studying.
I cannot stress the benefits that you will receive if you place your phone and laptop out of the room. If you need your laptop to work, I would download Cold Turkey Blocker which allows you to block certain websites for a period of time.

4. Find a good study environment
You might want to dedicate a space inside your house to study. Studying in a place where you procrastinate will inevitably end up in well.. procrastination. If there is no space, I would go to a library/cafe, whatever suits you. Personally, the library suits me because the sheer amount of people working/studying motivates me.

5. Set Goals (as DrDusk mentioned)
Create short term and long term goals you want to achieve. This will give your study a sense of direction. Do you have an ATAR goal? Write it down and stick in on your wall.

In light of all this, I know its simply unrealistic to just start following all of these steps. I would recommend really capitalising on the Summer Holidays to develop consistent study habits. It may seem a bit daunting at first but we all had to start from square one.

I hope I answered your question. If you have any more feel free to PM me :)

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Same I am always distracted by netflix and youtube, its such a struggle to overcome such an addiction :(
You don’t need to just cut it off completely. The key to effective study is having discipline. So you can still do all that Netflix YouTube etc stuff but you just have to make sure when you are studying you are actually studying. Then use your study breaks to enjoy those things, rather than semi bludging, semi studying

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Alright, would a timetable help also because whenever I make a timetable something happens and then everything changes in the timetable so it becomes useless
Instead of a timetable you should have a flexible approach each day. So a study strategy like 45 min hard study 10 min relax repeat is the way I would go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)