Can the school force me to drop to standard? (1 Viewer)

tynormalbeep

HSC
I've done fairly poor in advanced english this year due to my speech and the school has requested me to do standard english. Are they actually able to force you to do standard english or just strongly recommend? if they can only recommend can anyone link me to the board of studies rules and laws for students freedom on subject choices?

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
m8, was in the same boat you were in.
they tried to force me to do it, but I ultimately refused.
dw I made the correct choice to do advance and I've been happy where I am

HSC
Nah they can't force you. Stay in advanced, as the aligning for standard is harsh. Harder to get a band 5 and 6 in standard, than it is in advanced.

astroman

HSC
they cannot force but they can advise you what they 'think' will be suitable to you. I highly suggest you don't drop down to standard, it is one of the worst aligning subjects and will definitely cause you to lose valuable atar points. Only 0.4% of people doing standard get a band 6 whereas as around 15% get a band 6 in english adv. Don't drop to standard, a mediocre 70 in adv is much better than a 80 in standard.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Private schools may be able to force you to drop?* (Not sure)

But public schools can not force you into dropping, so stay in Advanced...

HSC
they cannot force but they can advise you what they 'think' will be suitable to you. I highly suggest you don't drop down to standard, it is one of the worst aligning subjects and will definitely cause you to lose valuable atar points. Only 0.4% of people doing standard get a band 6 whereas as around 15% get a band 6 in english adv. Don't drop to standard, a mediocre 70 in adv is much better than a 80 in standard.
The 80 is better lol. Standard and advanced pretty much have the same scaling with advanced maybe slightly more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)