Can you double major in the B' Comm ? (1 Viewer)

Lou283

HSC
I have heard that you can't double major in MQ's B' Commerce. Is that true?

I had hoped to do Marketing but would like to have the option to do a second major like decision science or business demographics or perhaps applied econometrics.

I forgot to ask at the info day yesterday and would like to see if anyone knows before I call them.

williamc

HSC
Back when i enrolled, you could not double major. Macquarie however, has great flexibility in picking units unrelated to your major, with your elective credit point's. I remember reading as of late, you now can choose to have a major and a minor (only 12 credit points for a designated area, as opposed to 24-30 [for the major])

Note: most units/subjects are 3 credit points

edit: wow that would be an odd minor. Applied econometrics with a marketing major. haha, i hope you like numbers and maths (which is hard to grasp given you want to do marketing foremost)

Lou283

HSC
Thanks for your help.

The Applied Economatrics was just a thought. I don't mind maths I just find it boring. But you are right it probably doesn't relate directly to maketing.

I think decision science would complement it.

Anyway so does that mean I could double major?

williamc

HSC
No you can't double major, you can major and pick a minor (from memory).

If you find maths boring, i would not recommend picking applied econometrics as a minor. I've completed ECON141 (now 241), ECON232, and ECON 233 and i can say with confidence, if you don't like maths, and working with numbers, you won't enjoy econometrics.

I would recommend just majoring in marketing and picking heaps of 300 level bba (management related) subjects, as to help you if you progress through the marketing side of things, and move into more senior levels of management (if that is what you aspire to do)

Lou283

HSC
Great thanks - Guess I have to work with that as I only got a 90.00 so can't get into USyd or UNSW where you can double major and don't have to pick your majors till 2nd year.

Monstar

HSC
mmm there have been massive changes in the programmes at macquarie and when i last read it seemed to involve changes to majors.. so there might be a chance.

Yeah i agree is stupid to not have double major.. especially since there equivalent (double degrees) essentially offer the same knowledge as the other unis.. only it takes you longer and you pay more money.

williamc

HSC
mmm there have been massive changes in the programmes at macquarie and when i last read it seemed to involve changes to majors.. so there might be a chance.

Yeah i agree is stupid to not have double major.. especially since there equivalent (double degrees) essentially offer the same knowledge as the other unis.. only it takes you longer and you pay more money.
which is good for a private entity, such as Macquarie University.

Monstar

HSC
haha yeah my point exactly man. As if the uni doesnt make enough from these internationals anyway..

Lou283

HSC
Seems weird if it's trying to compete with the other uni's why it is so inflexible in comparison.

williamc

HSC
Seems weird if it's trying to compete with the other uni's why it is so inflexible in comparison.
they try to make it flexible through giving you all these extra elective credit points in which you can do units from other faculty's, but yeah you wont have a double major to your degree but you would have been able to do the units you wanted to anyway

gnrlies

HSC
A double major with the new program (2010) is possible and will appear on the transcript as well as degree. This is available with science, commerce and arts but not other degree programs.

Regards

Lou283

HSC
A double major with the new program (2010) is possible and will appear on the transcript as well as degree. This is available with science, commerce and arts but not other degree programs.

Regards
Yey! Thank you.

Do you know how I go about it? or will it become obvious when I accept my offer?

Thanks,

Louise

Last edited:

manutd8

HSC
a double major with the new program (2010) is possible and will appear on the transcript as well as degree. This is available with science, commerce and arts but not other degree programs.

Regards
+10000000000000000000

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)