can you take a 6 month gap "year" (1 Viewer)

cloud_berry

HSC
I need to get my shit together before uni but im not too sure about deferring for a whole year, in case it goes wrong and i end up staying at home doing nothing. Can you take one for half a year?
Maybe at first decide to take half a year and if its going well lengthen it to a year?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Which University?

Lots of Universities offer half-year entry but would recommend ringing them to talk about your specific circumstance.

Ledepressedrightnow

HSC
Just to check, if you get a gap year would you be studying with the grade below when you return to uni or do you stay in the same cohort with more work?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Just to check, if you get a gap year would you be studying with the grade below when you return to uni or do you stay in the same cohort with more work?
If you choose to take a gap year, your university journey will begin with people who have completed the HSC the year following yours. For example, if a 2022 HSC graduate who is meant to start university in 2023 chooses to take a gap year, they will start university in 2024 alongside 2023 HSC graduates.

Ledepressedrightnow

HSC
If you choose to take a gap year, your university journey will begin with people who have completed the HSC the year following yours. For example, if a 2022 HSC graduate who is meant to start university in 2023 chooses to take a gap year, they will start university in 2024 alongside 2023 HSC graduates.
Wait so you are fine with having to work with people below your grade who you wouldn't know while your friends are ahead? Wouldn't that be uncomfortable?

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
Wait so you are fine with having to work with people below your grade who you wouldn't know while your friends are ahead? Wouldn't that be uncomfortable?
ik in school whenever someone repeated a year it was a really big deal bc their friends were ahead and they're in a class w the grade below, everyone thought this was a huge L. but in uni no one cares there were middle aged students taking 1st year units with me so the age difference here was like decades, but it's fine no one judges or cares it's a level playing field for everyone regardless of age, no shame in taking a gap year, or living most of your life and then realising you want to get a uni degree

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
I feel like it's okay if you are on the younger side of your year group

Like if you're 17 and graduated it's alright

But tbh, if the year of "getting your shit together" is justifiable enough than becoming one year closer to completing your degree, it's always worth it.

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
University students can meet and work with other students of various ages, including those slightly younger than them, those slightly older than them and those significantly older than them (i.e. mature age students). This depends on the progress of the student with respect to their degree in addition to the type/difficulty of the unit(s) that they are taking. Most people I met at university are slightly older than me (1-2 years), while a lower number consists of mature age students and perhaps a couple of students whom I believe were 1 year younger than me.

It is up to the student to make a decision regarding whether or not to take a gap year, depending on their circumstances. Even if a student's decision to take a gap year will mean that their friends will be ahead, this is still likely to occur even under normal circumstances due to factors such as different study interests between friends, leading to friends completing different degrees and potentially graduating sooner.

cloud_berry

HSC
I feel like it's okay if you are on the younger side of your year group

Like if you're 17 and graduated it's alright

But tbh, if the year of "getting your shit together" is justifiable enough than becoming one year closer to completing your degree, it's always worth it.
yeah im 17 at the moment. i turn 18 in march

cloud_berry

HSC
Which University?

Lots of Universities offer half-year entry but would recommend ringing them to talk about your specific circumstance.
probably wollongong but i might go to macquarie or unsw. idk what course to do so thats why. i think i dont mind which uni i go to i just mind which course it is

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
People take Gap years, fail units, take units (such as electives) as different times or enter as a mature-aged student (i.e 21+) rather then straight after school. Might work in a job (s) for a few years then go back or enter after doing a TAFE course. I suggest not thinking about it like you would school, it is a fairly different experience in relation to age groups.

Ledepressedrightnow

HSC
If you are an adult with a degree and you wanna change 20 years down the line can you just go back to your uni or do you have to do something before?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are an adult with a degree and you wanna change 20 years down the line can you just go back to your uni or do you have to do something before?
This depends on the degree that the person intends to study. For example, if a person wishes to pursue postgraduate study, such as a Master's degree or a PhD, they may be eligible to apply to university provided they have undertaken undergraduate study (i.e. a Bachelor's degree) prior.

Regarding other cases, such as when an individual with a Bachelor's degree wishes to study another Bachelor's degree after several years, universities may consider the following:
  • the person's academic position in their first degree (results + GPA/WAM)
  • work experience history
  • motivations for entering tertiary study

realcareerchats

HSC
If you're going to do a gap half year try to plan your degree so it takes 6 months longer and you end up graduating with the following year cohort. You can effectively have 4 semesters where you only take 3 subjects instead of 4

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
year10studentpreparin said:
I feel like id be super bored in a gap year like damn I am so bored right now and cant wait for schoolies to come and then january to start for Uni so I couldnt imagine a whole gap year where u probs can just only work some crappy non graduate job and travel if ur parents are rich but even then youd get so bored plus youd establish so many bad habits
Whether taking a gap year can be justified depends on a person's own circumstances. Reasons for taking a gap year can include:
  • Taking a break from study - Everyone is different, and for some students, the HSC is quite a long and overwhelming journey. Because of this, they may not be mentally ready for the transition into university (which is an even more demanding and difficult journey), and may instead need to take time off study to recover while doing activities that can help them do so. Here, a student's ability to defer offers that they were made is also relevant.
  • Using the time to prepare for admission into a particular degree, typically more demanding ones, such as a Doctor of Medicine - While this is probably less common, I personally do know of someone taking a gap year for this reason. Instead of studying a different degree in the meantime, the student can instead use all of that available time to thoroughly prepare and maximise their chances of being made an offer.
  • Determining study interests - There is a possibility that, at such an advanced point, some students were unable to determine their exact study interests. In such a case, a gap year can provide them with additional time, during which they can seek to gain a better understanding of different degrees and ultimately determine the degree(s) that is most consistent with their interests. I personally would not recommend this, as it constitutes an inefficient use of time that leads to losing a year, during which a student could instead study any degree, even if it does not align closely with their interests. Subsequently, they can simply transfer into another degree that they believe they are more interested in and avoid wasting as much time.
  • Other reasons/circumstances over which a student may have no control which prevent them from commencing their university studies straight after the HSC.
I hope this helps! :D

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC
I feel like id be super bored in a gap year like damn I am so bored right now and cant wait for schoolies to come and then january to start for Uni so I couldnt imagine a whole gap year where u probs can just only work some crappy non graduate job and travel if ur parents are rich but even then youd get so bored plus youd establish so many bad habits
if you have the motivation to make money, then a gap year can be so productive.
when you start uni the next year you will have so much money with you it will feel amazing (im broke rn)

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC
hmm would you go back in time then and do a gap year personally?
I guess you could legit work 5 days a week or as much as u want and stay at ur mums house when doing a gap year generating income
nah cuz my degree is long af and i want to get it over with.
and like i doubt people would move out their house this early

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)