• Yes

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • No

Votes: 46 62.2%

• Total voters

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i don't believe in capital punhsiment. i posted this in my blog in september last year:

the other day, i was having a heated discussion about it with two of my friends in legal studies. my friend was arguing that if someone pleaded guilty to murder, then he should be sentenced to death. ok, so she supports the "an eye for an eye" theory, but the thing is, if we kill the person who killed someone, that means that we're stooping as low as he/she is.

i remember reading in an article, this exact quote: "why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing is wrong?" exactly. punishments are meant to deter people from committing crimes, and the death penalty obviously exists in other countries, but i don't believe that we have the right to take someone's life away - that's God's decision. no matter how horrible the crime, death shouldn't be the punishment.

and (if they pleaded not guilty), there's always that chance that they are innocent. we watched the video "13 days in may", about an african-american man in mississippi, who was sentenced to death. a month after that, they found evidence that he had nothing to do with the crime at all.

anyway, i think life imprisonment is bad enough. after watching documentries about jail life, seriously - i think prisoners would rather die than be locked up in a box. (did any of what i just said make sense? :p)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by bubz :D
anyway, i think life imprisonment is bad enough. after watching documentries about jail life, seriously - i think prisoners would rather die than be locked up in a box. (did any of what i just said make sense? :p)
Except life in gaol costs lots of $$$$$$$'s. I think there should be capital punshiment but it needs to have lots of proof associated with it and alot of other factors associated with it.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yep, life in jail costs the tax payer an average of $45,000 per prisoner- and prolly even more for maximum security prisons and stuff!!

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Except life in gaol costs lots of $$$$$$$'s. I think there should be capital punshiment but it needs to have lots of proof associated with it and alot of other factors associated with it.
yes, staying in prison costs a LOT of money, which is a minor reason why people support the death penalty. (but it's not like lethal injection, electric chair etc DOESN'T cost money :p) there are around 2million people incarcerated in the USA @___@

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yes, staying in prison costs a LOT of money, which is a minor reason why people support the death penalty. (but it's not like lethal injection, electric chair etc DOESN'T cost money :p) there are around 2million people incarcerated in the USA @___@
yep, the prison population in USA, is more than the university population!!! and no, the cost of lethal injection and stuff is insignificant to the cost of incarceration!

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
yep, the prison population in USA, is more than the university population!!! and no, the cost of lethal injection and stuff is insignificant to the cost of incarceration!
hmm that's true. but life is priceless.

if i was the family member/friend of a victim, i'd rather the killer slowly rot in jail than get "the easy way out" and die :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Or maybe we could arrange something with the people smugglers how we allow one immigrant in for each prisoner they take back with them.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hmm that's true. but life is priceless.

if i was the family member/friend of a victim, i'd rather the killer slowly rot in jail than get "the easy way out" and die :p
yeah, right, u'll basically b paying for the prisoner's food, shelter, recreational expenses, gym pass, swimming pool pass, etc. etc....its not like they rot there u know. and plus $40 grand per year (which is spent on each prisoner) is far more than what a normal graduate gets, or a teacher gets as their salary!! :D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Or maybe we could arrange something with the people smugglers how we allow one immigrant in for each prisoner they take back with them.
well thats how basically australia started out as- i.e the prison got overfilled, so they sent them ova to another land....but nowadays, all land on earth has been discovered- the next step is to prolly blast them off to space. :D

Alexander

Gold Member
What were those crazy figures for prisoners on death row in the US who were found innocent thru dna testing?...
If our economy was a lot worse than it is now, i'd seriously support the death penalty...but at the moment we can probably afford humanity (but cant afford decent education...)
But I dont agree that victim's family etc would rather the prisoner rot in jail...as long as they live they pose a threat to them. Sometimes rehabilitation is simply not possible. I think it was on catalyst a while ago where they proved that all these violent criminals had a brain misfunction where logic was overriden by impulse, and there was no cure.
What's the point of spending thousands of dollars on 'lost causes' that would most likely infect other convicts who may be released back into society soon? It's not God's decision to take life away, it's a responsible society's, thinking of the best interests of the community.

Penalties are only a sufficient deterant to crime when people believe there is a real chance of being caught - if it's about deterring crime, the issue is law enforcement not the penalty.

If we're just trying to decide on an appropriate penalty for a horrible offence, I'd consider life imprisonment and death to both be sufficient penalities, which is really a long way of saying I don't have any opinion either way.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Do I support the capital punishment? Absolutely!

I don't think it's a matter of whether they can change or ever "feel" sorry for what they did - it's a matter of punishment for a crime. Whether they EVER feel any remorse has nothing to do with the fact that they ALREADY committed the crime. Our laws say that if you commit certain acts, you will be punished, regardless of whether you're ever sorry or not. What they do and feel after the fact has nothing to do with it.

I understand the debate over the different theories (i.e., "Why do we kill people, who have killed people, to show that killing is wrong?") and approaches, but I'll tell you THIS - let it be YOUR mother, father, sister, brother, daughter, son, etc. who is tortured, murdered, maimed, violated, abused, etc., and everything goes from the realm of theory/debate to reality in about two seconds.

If you or one of your loved ones were the victim, you could care less about the possibilities of the criminal's rehabilitation. You'd want justice. And you'd deserve it.

Do people who commit crimes worthy of the death penalty even DESERVE a chance to change or rehabilitate? Why? What have they done to deserve it? IMO, if you take someone else's life, or do something equally as horrible, you give up your rights to MANY things. You even give up your right to live.

Sometimes people get off easy by being executed - they don't suffer like the people they've tortured and the families they have robbed of their loved ones.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by George W. Bush
Penalties are only a sufficient deterant to crime when people believe there is a real chance of being caught - if it's about deterring crime, the issue is law enforcement not the penalty.

If we're just trying to decide on an appropriate penalty for a horrible offence, I'd consider life imprisonment and death to both be sufficient penalities, which is really a long way of saying I don't have any opinion either way.
ironic considering that when he was governor george w bush executed more texans than were killed in any other state

B

Bambul

I'm opposed to the death penalty on the simple fact that the law can get things wrong. A few people have mentioned the number of people on death row in the US who were let go when DNA testing proved that they did not commit the crime.

The way I see it, if someone is put in jail for the wrong reason they can be freed, if they are executed...well I don't think our technology has advanced sufficiently to bring them back.

I would also like to put forward the following proposition to those who worry about the cost of incarcerating someone for life: is euthenasia for the severely mentally disabled, the ones whom it can be argued are in practice just a drain on society, a justifiable act?

I don't mean to be confrontational, just something to think about.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
i think they should banish murderers and criminals to the rural areas and into slavery, where they could put their much needed labour into better productive use

Originally posted by Nick
ironic considering that when he was governor george w bush executed more texans than were killed in any other state
Why, it's almost like you are unable to distinguish between the Internet and reality, or are even capable of expressing your point in a coherant manner. George Bush killed more texans than were killed in any other state? Do you consider the meaning of what you are typing?
:rolleyes:

MouNtY

wow you peeps are really into this aye? i agree and think they should put them to work out in the rural areas. and do something useful with their lives

Alexander

Gold Member
Put it this way...would you break a law if you knew the implications could be an ending of life as you know it? If you say yes, then you deserve to be excecuted thru sheer ignorance.
Death is much more cheap and humane than life sentence or slave labour

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)