Careers with an Advanced Science degree! (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,
I'm kind of confused atm as to what I really want to study at uni. As ppl may know, my aim is to study medicine in the near future or dentistry is I don't get into medicine. I'm currently enrolled in two courses: Bachelor of Science Adv @ UWS and Bachelor of Business and Information Technology at UTS. So what should I consider?
In my honest opnion, I find Business/IT really boring and its something that I won't enjoy studying, however the degree at UTS promises excellent job opportunities upon graduation.
I truely enjoy science, and believe that adv science @ UWS is the right course for me. However if I fail to enter medicine/dentistry from adv science, ppl are telling me that I will end -up having a 'useless' degree that won't promise jobs (some ppl who are lucky get into research and others end up working in a retail store or go on to further study). I may try for medicine/dentistry post-grad also, but m worried about the uncertain future that lies ahead of me. In my mind, I have alot of 'what if's' roaming around. Questions such as 'What if I don't get into medicine/dentistry even after porst grad?' and 'What if I don't get a job out of Adv Science?' are the questions that are haunting me. Getting a job after graduating is very important to me and my family as I come from a middle class working family, so the least I would want is to waste my time at uni doing something that doesn't promise me a job :/
Generally speaking, I have heard ppl get into medicine from a variety of degrees including arts, law and even engineering. Would doing a science degree as my pre-med degree favour my entry into medicine? Would they consider an adv science student who is passionate abt studying medicine (though has a lower gpa, i.e 6.2) over someone who wants to tranfer from IT/Business who has a higher gpa and umat? People are also telling me that by going to uws and doing adv science, I am basically wasting my atar! But I don't believe them as am persuing my dreams. They have said that biological science (my adv science pathway unit) is a 'no job' degree and I'm "f***ing my life up". So basically I need someone to reassure me/ give me some advice on what degree/pathway I should consider. I was reconsidering B. Pharmacy at usyd as a pathway into medicine also, although job prospects may not look good atm for pharmacists, things could change in the next five years or so and if I don't get into medicine, atleast I have a profession health-related career that I would be pleased with.

Thank you all :)

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
Hey,
I'm kind of confused atm as to what I really want to study at uni. As ppl may know, my aim is to study medicine in the near future or dentistry is I don't get into medicine. I'm currently enrolled in two courses: Bachelor of Science Adv @ UWS and Bachelor of Business and Information Technology at UTS. So what should I consider?
In my honest opnion, I find Business/IT really boring and its something that I won't enjoy studying, however the degree at UTS promises excellent job opportunities upon graduation.
I truely enjoy science, and believe that adv science @ UWS is the right course for me. However if I fail to enter medicine/dentistry from adv science, ppl are telling me that I will end -up having a 'useless' degree that won't promise jobs (some ppl who are lucky get into research and others end up working in a retail store or go on to further study). I may try for medicine/dentistry post-grad also, but m worried about the uncertain future that lies ahead of me. In my mind, I have alot of 'what if's' roaming around. Questions such as 'What if I don't get into medicine/dentistry even after porst grad?' and 'What if I don't get a job out of Adv Science?' are the questions that are haunting me. Getting a job after graduating is very important to me and my family as I come from a middle class working family, so the least I would want is to waste my time at uni doing something that doesn't promise me a job :/
Generally speaking, I have heard ppl get into medicine from a variety of degrees including arts, law and even engineering. Would doing a science degree as my pre-med degree favour my entry into medicine? Would they consider an adv science student who is passionate abt studying medicine (though has a lower gpa, i.e 6.2) over someone who wants to tranfer from IT/Business who has a higher gpa and umat? People are also telling me that by going to uws and doing adv science, I am basically wasting my atar! But I don't believe them as am persuing my dreams. They have said that biological science (my adv science pathway unit) is a 'no job' degree and I'm "f***ing my life up". So basically I need someone to reassure me/ give me some advice on what degree/pathway I should consider. I was reconsidering B. Pharmacy at usyd as a pathway into medicine also, although job prospects may not look good atm for pharmacists, things could change in the next five years or so and if I don't get into medicine, atleast I have a profession health-related career that I would be pleased with.

If you already know that you wouldn't enjoy it/bus then, there isn't any point in doing that degree.
Yes, it'll provide a career in whatever but if you don't enjoy it then you won't get grades or a good job lol.

Yes, people can get into medicine through standard and non-standard entry; although it's better to pick a degree you would enjoy and maximize your GPA (as dylan on here has done).
tl;dr
- pick what you love and do amazing in it and get into med (if this is truly what you want), not a degree you'll regret 5 years down the track.

Dylanamali

HSC
Hey,

I too had all of those "what if's" back when I graduated in 2011, I also had a lot of external pressure from peers and family and other factors that came into play. At the end of the day, believe me when I say that Advanced Science @ UWS is the best degree for Med-hopefuls whether they make it in 1st year, whether they are trying for postgrad OR whether they even fail postgraduate and undergraduate medical entry.

Before I get into my reasons, I'll first address some of your questions:
1. Is your Adv Sci degree @ UWS useless?
This is dependent on what you could potentially see yourself doing as a career. If you see the potential in a research / laboratory job, then a degree in Adv Sci could definitely open up doors for that. But more so, an Adv Sci / Sci degree in general doesn't have excessive value - generally the higher paying research/lab jobs require further study e.g. Hons or a pHD or alternatively people with these degrees seek academic positions. I'm not sure what the general stigma is concerning UWS as an institution and science graduates that come from UWS in terms of job prospects though, your best to research that. But I'm sure with respectable grades, quality experience and a very good interview - your institution shouldn't play feature as the defining factor.

2. Would doing a science degree as my pre-med degree favour my entry into medicine?
Yes, 1) because there's the lateral entry scheme = reduced UMAT score required and 2) the fact that GAMSAT tests first year chem and bio means that you'll be in a better position had you not studied them at university. Other then that no.

3. Would they consider an adv science student who is passionate abt studying medicine (though has a lower gpa, i.e 6.2) over someone who wants to tranfer from IT/Business who has a higher gpa and umat?
No. There is no distinction between students who come from different academic background / who study different courses. The only thing that influences offers is UMAT score / GPA / Interview. However, having said that, it may be a point that you may bring up in an interview ( as I did in my UWS one).

And finally to all those haters of UWS, people telling you that you've wasted your ATAR - they are purely and simply ignorant and thus should be ignored.

Okay - so why is UWS Adv Sci best in all facets?

1) Adv Sci lateral entry scheme to Med (I've already discussed it a lot so I won't elaborate)
2) THE ABILITY TO GET A HIGH GPA
The ability to get a high GPA means that you'll put yourself in the most advantageous position to gain a position in terms of postgraduate entry.
BUT even if your unsuccessful, having a high GPA e.g. approx. 6.5 means that you'll basically be able to gain entry into any other postgraduate course you desire. E.g. a Juris Doctor in Law, Masters of Pharmacy, Masters of Physiotherapy etc.
And that was the plans I had, had I not been successful in entering medicine after a total of 4 UMATs and 2 GAMSATs - I would have most likely used my high GPA and done a Juris Doctor @ USYD. So either way - your completely maximising your chances of getting into your desired course - Medicine whilst still allowing yourself the option to study any other postgraduate course out there because of your high GPA.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Both Rookie and Dylan have given detailed responses that will hopefully answer your questions - so I'm not going to repeat what they have said. Instead, I will tell you about my personal experience about science and you can decide for yourself whether it is a 'risky' degree. When I signed up for a Medical Science degree (which is pretty much the same as Adv Science), I have the same doubts as you have and I thought to myself 'what am I going to do with this degree when I finish!?'. Unlike yourself, Dylan and many of my peers, I had no plan to pursue medicine, dentistry or pharmacy. But as I go through my degree, it reaffirms my view that medicine, dentistry or pharmacy is probably not for me. In contrast, you may feel the complete opposite and say that your AdvSc degree reaffirms your strong desire to get into Med/Dent. This is fantastic because you will have extra motivation and determination to get there.

Over 3-4 years, I started to think differently. Instead of asking 'what can I do when I graduate?', I started to ask 'what don't I want to do?'. This was important for me because instead of forcing myself to come up with specific career paths, I realised I can pursue anything that I want with the marks that I have. By ruling out options instead of them ruling in, you open up a new world of opportunities. After experiencing what research is like in the Honours year (4th optional year in Med Sc). I knew a research career was for me.

I have decided to do a PhD in Cambridge and I wouldn't trade my experience with anything else. I have had job offers 12 months before my PhD finishes, so if that's not job security I don't know what is. What I also enjoyed is that I got to travel to Italy, Ireland, Japan, Singapore, USA for doing something I love.

The friends I have made during my MedSc degree have now gone on to do medicine, physiotherapy, pharmacy, PhD/postdocs, working in scientific companies. I have not heard of one being unemployed. Now I'm not saying unemployed people don't exist but the people I know have at least a Distinction average and are highly motivated people, just like yourself. So I don't believe that you can end up without an interesting career in science if you are ambitious and are intellectually capable.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Both Rookie and Dylan have given detailed responses that will hopefully answer your questions - so I'm not going to repeat what they have said. Instead, I will tell you about my personal experience about science and you can decide for yourself whether it is a 'risky' degree. When I signed up for a Medical Science degree (which is pretty much the same as Adv Science), I have the same doubts as you have and I thought to myself 'what am I going to do with this degree when I finish!?'. Unlike yourself, Dylan and many of my peers, I had no plan to pursue medicine, dentistry or pharmacy. But as I go through my degree, it reaffirms my view that medicine, dentistry or pharmacy is probably not for me. In contrast, you may feel the complete opposite and say that your AdvSc degree reaffirms your strong desire to get into Med/Dent. This is fantastic because you will have extra motivation and determination to get there.

Over 3-4 years, I started to think differently. Instead of asking 'what can I do when I graduate?', I started to ask 'what don't I want to do?'. This was important for me because instead of forcing myself to come up with specific career paths, I realised I can pursue anything that I want with the marks that I have. By ruling out options instead of them ruling in, you open up a new world of opportunities. After experiencing what research is like in the Honours year (4th optional year in Med Sc). I knew a research career was for me.

I have decided to do a PhD in Cambridge and I wouldn't trade my experience with anything else. I have had job offers 12 months before my PhD finishes, so if that's not job security I don't know what is. What I also enjoyed is that I got to travel to Italy, Ireland, Japan, Singapore, USA for doing something I love.

The friends I have made during my MedSc degree have now gone on to do medicine, physiotherapy, pharmacy, PhD/postdocs, working in scientific companies. I have not heard of one being unemployed. Now I'm not saying unemployed people don't exist but the people I know have at least a Distinction average and are highly motivated people, just like yourself. So I don't believe that you can end up without an interesting career in science if you are ambitious and are intellectually capable.
I find this post absolutely brillant, thank you for taking the time to write it out! Nice to hear on the course I am commencing study for this year :) I am similar with no plans for post grad med, dentistry etc. and hope to end up with an interesting career in science but am open to the degree refining my future as I go along via process of elimination :)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, thank you to all for contributing so much to this thread. You all have cleared my doubts and I feel absolutely confident with my decision to study Advanced Science regardless of what people think abt the degree and the university. Thanks once again for taking the time to write brilliant responses :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)