Catcher In The Rye and Robert Browning Comparison (1 Viewer)

Shar123

HSC
Has anyone done or is currently doing The Catcher in the Rye and Browning Comparison?

Do you guys know how the Context of these text influences the writer to compose this?

Can you refer me to some links or resources that could help me?

Many thanks in advanced!

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
Well, to get you started, Catcher in the Rye was published in 1951, a few years after WWII. Many Americans were deployed overseas and saw first hand the horrors of warfare (technological warfare also emerged during this time, e.g. Hiroshima bombing, etc). Salinger was actually deployed overseas and was said to have been suffering from PTSD (or what they called back then "Battle Fatigue") when he wrote Catcher. Try to link Holden Caulfield to Salinger's feelings of alienation.

I don't know much about Robert Browning, except he was from the Victorian Era and was esteemed for his dramatic monologues. He has quite an anthology of work. Which poems/ texts from Browning do you want to link with Catcher?

Hope this helps :)

Chuppa13

HSC
Wanting to find info on this also. Browning poems being looked at for comparison to Catcher in the Rye are Meeting at Night and Porphyria's Lover.
Any helps greatly appreciated as cannot find anything at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)