Centrelink (youth allowance + rent assistance) (1 Viewer)

sladehk

le random
HSC
heys

i was wondering (im 19 and doing full time uni).. this is what i read from the site

"Youth allowance
18 and over, away from home $348.10*

Rent Assistance
Single, no dependent children
Maximum payment per fortnight : $104.00
No payment if your fortnightly rent is less than :$92.60
Maximum payment if your fortnightly rent is more than: $231.27"

my parents are kinda kicking out so i guess i would be independent eh?

if i read properly i think you get rent assistance on top of youth allowance is that right? im thinking of moving to a campus accomodation place costing 120-140 (inc water electricity but laundrys like $2 and no net =.=).

so i get 348.1 + 104 per fornight (452.1)

basically 226.05 a week
- 140 for rent
= 80
80/(3mealsx 7days) = 3.8 each meal
dam

ALSO...so basically you NEED a job to kinda survive (heard you can earn around 100ish a week without cutting into your centrelink) and friends told me to apply for scholarship thingos that give you like 5k to help survive =P

so is all my info correct?

thnx

kylieee

myspace.com/_attitude
HSC
as long as ur parents wages arent too high, u can get youth allowance. i wasnt able to coz my parents' wages were too high. u dont need a job to be able to get youth allowance tho.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
kylieee said:
as long as ur parents wages arent too high, u can get youth allowance. i wasnt able to coz my parents' wages were too high. u dont need a job to be able to get youth allowance tho.
You need to have earned above a certain amount in a certain period (18 months I think) to be eligible for YA.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sladehk said:
my parents are kinda kicking out so i guess i would be independent eh?
No, it's not about whether you live with your parents or not. You need to be one of the following:

* have been out of school at least 18 months and earned an amount equivalent to 75 per cent of the National Training Wage Award Rate in an 18 month period before lodging a claim (approx $18K, check my link below for exact amount) or
* have worked to support yourself for at least 18 months, working full-time at least 30 hours a week during the preceding two years (or for a period or periods of 12 months if you are considered disadvantaged), or
* have worked part-time for at least 15 hours a week for at least two years since last leaving school, or
* are 25 or more and a full-time student (in special circumstances), or
* have been assessed as having a partial capacity to work as determined by a Job Capacity Assessment (or a Better Assessment completed before 1 July 2006). You will be assessed as independent only for the period you are assessed as having a partial capacity to work. Please Note: This criteria does not apply if you are undertaking full-time education or an Australian Apprenticeship.

You are also considered independent if you are aged 15-24 and:

* are above school leaving age in your state or territory, and
* are a refugee, an orphan or it is unreasonable for you to live at home, or
* are in state care, or only stopped being in state care because of your age
* have, or have had a dependent child
* are or have been, married , including living in a marriage-like relationship for 12 months or more, or six months (in special circumstances)
* have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities.

I even made a thread about it. It is stickied and everything?

http://community.boredofstudies.org...avel/141640/centrelink-youth-allowance.html#4

if i read properly i think you get rent assistance on top of youth allowance is that right? im thinking of moving to a campus accomodation place costing 120-140 (inc water electricity but laundrys like $2 and no net =.=).
Yes you can but only if you are considered an independent.

so i get 348.1 + 104 per fornight (452.1)
I'm not sure where you're getting $104 from, but if that's what Centrelink quoted, then sure, why not.[/QUOTE]

Best if you call Centrelink on 13 2490 and follow the prompts. If it asks you for your CRN number, say I don't have one and the prompter won't understand you and move you to a customer service officer to ask all your questions. You don't seem to very clear on what you're qualified for, so give them a ring.

Plus it's not bad to get your allowance deducted. They don't deduct a dollar off your youth allowance payment for every dollar you are over. It's like 25c for each dollar over (it's changed, I don't know what it is anymore), or something along those lines. The point is, your overall income from both your job and centrelink is higher than if you kept your income so that there is no deduction.

Last edited:

rozymisty

HSC
Just becaues you are living out of home doesnt mean you are indepenedent. If your living away from home coz its too far to travel or study is affected by conflict etc then you will get the living away from home-dependent rate. And if your parents income go up, hten your youth allowance will decrease.

I know that from first hand experience.

Then I applied for independence coz of serious conflict/ problems at home and they granted independence from that. You have to fill in forms, so do ur parents, and a person close to you who know your situation. in my case it was coz i moved out originally and then one place i lived in, i was assulted and when i moved back mum was saying dont move back out coz i could get hurt againa dn would remind me about it, so there was some psychological abuse living at home.

Otherwise to get independence, you have to have earned over $15K in 18 months in 2yrs time and done a certain number of hours and all that kinda thing, or be married etc

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Actually it's now $18,525 in an 18 month period, only to become higher after July.

rozymisty

HSC
Geez well they've really uped the amount you have to earn now! THey do it according to the year you finished year 12, for me it was in 2001, and so it was over $15K.

sladehk

le random
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
No, it's not about whether you live with your parents or not. You need to be one of the following:

* have been out of school at least 18 months and earned an amount equivalent to 75 per cent of the National Training Wage Award Rate in an 18 month period before lodging a claim (approx $18K, check my link below for exact amount) or
* have worked to support yourself for at least 18 months, working full-time at least 30 hours a week during the preceding two years (or for a period or periods of 12 months if you are considered disadvantaged), or
* have worked part-time for at least 15 hours a week for at least two years since last leaving school, or
* are 25 or more and a full-time student (in special circumstances), or
* have been assessed as having a partial capacity to work as determined by a Job Capacity Assessment (or a Better Assessment completed before 1 July 2006). You will be assessed as independent only for the period you are assessed as having a partial capacity to work. Please Note: This criteria does not apply if you are undertaking full-time education or an Australian Apprenticeship.

You are also considered independent if you are aged 15-24 and:

* are above school leaving age in your state or territory, and
* are a refugee, an orphan or it is unreasonable for you to live at home, or
* are in state care, or only stopped being in state care because of your age
* have, or have had a dependent child
* are or have been, married , including living in a marriage-like relationship for 12 months or more, or six months (in special circumstances)
* have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities.

I even made a thread about it. It is stickied and everything?

http://community.boredofstudies.org...avel/141640/centrelink-youth-allowance.html#4

Yes you can but only if you are considered an independent.

I'm not sure where you're getting $104 from, but if that's what Centrelink quoted, then sure, why not.
Best if you call Centrelink on 13 2490 and follow the prompts. If it asks you for your CRN number, say I don't have one and the prompter won't understand you and move you to a customer service officer to ask all your questions. You don't seem to very clear on what you're qualified for, so give them a ring.

Plus it's not bad to get your allowance deducted. They don't deduct a dollar off your youth allowance payment for every dollar you are over. It's like 25c for each dollar over (it's changed, I don't know what it is anymore), or something along those lines. The point is, your overall income from both your job and centrelink is higher than if you kept your income so that there is no deduction.[/QUOTE]

Not Found

The requested URL /48/employment-real-estate-travel/141640/centrelink-youth-allowance.html was not found on this server.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
mum earns 30-40k a year, i get 180 a fornight and im allowed to make up to 246 a week before my payment reduces.

rozymisty

HSC
My sister only gets $30 a fortnight from them, living at home and under 18.

With that $246 a week, I thought its actually a fortnight? Either way, if i work on a weekend, both days i EASILy go over that $246. Its not very fair system, coz they expect you to like not work so that you can stay on that full payment, and yet they expect you to survive on the petty amount that they give you.

But every time you go over that $246, the extra amount is deducted from your INcome bank, and when you get to $0 in your income bank, thats when they start to deduct money from your payment. But then everyweek you go under $246 I THINK they had the difference back to your income bank.

The income bank is there to allow students to work those 3-4 months holiday at the start of each year, and during the holidays and semester without affecting their income. But say if you were working 20hrs a week every week, you'd be earning to much anyway and they'd take away your youth allowance.

I just have to say i will be sooo happy when i finish at the end of this year and dont have to rely on Centrelink anymore. Im just hoping that they still pay me over the break, since i finish studies in October-no exams! wohoo lol. Coz the graduate programs dont start till January.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
rozymisty said:
With that $246 a week, I thought its actually a fortnight? Either way, if i work on a weekend, both days i EASILy go over that $246. Its not very fair system, coz they expect you to like not work so that you can stay on that full payment, and yet they expect you to survive on the petty amount that they give you.
yr still going to get more if you work the same hours compared to a person w/o YA

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sladehk said:
Not Found

The requested URL /48/employment-real-estate-travel/141640/centrelink-youth-allowance.html was not found on this server.
What?

Just go to the Employment & Real Estate Travel forum and you'll see it as the first thread, it's stickied. This very thread is currently in that forum.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I've been working too hard apparently and my Income Bank is around $2k now, I'm almost halfway through uni. If I run out of this Income Bank money, would they deduct my Youth Allowance or Rent Assistance money (or both)?

Currently I dedicate $340 out of $400 into rent per fortnight, save the $60 in bank and use my work money for day to day expenses & more savings. What I'm thinking is maybe later on I would get less than $400 per fortnight and unable to save as much. By tax time I would need to pay about $1k to ATO since the centrelink payments haven't been tax deducted so savings is important.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I used up all my income bank at one stage. I forgot the actual figures but they don't deduct dollar for dollar. You can still get a decent amount of money from Centrelink if you earn, say, $300ish a week. You should consult the Centrelink website or call them for the rate they deduct. They recently changed it so that they wouldn't deduct so much now.

I actually thought the maximum amount of "points" you can get from your Student income bank was 2000. If you're not working but studying full time, and you're already at 2000, then you can't "earn" more. Perhaps it's changed again. But nevertheless, I ate up my income bank and earnt it back here and there from dry spells of employment :p.

They say that the Income Bank is meant to last about a year and a half, which is theoretically meant to last as a safety net while you transition between study and employment. This is the case for many people. I suppose just man up and deal with it, it won't be too bad.

Or try not working for a little while to earn it back up :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)