Centripetal force question (1 Viewer)

Everwinter

HSC
The diagram below is a roller coaster track, the person riding the rollercoaster is feeling their weight increase and decrease at different points. Which point, A or B is the apparent weight of the rider at the greatest?

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 12.28.20 pm.png

I choose B but the answer choose A, the reason for the A in the answer is that A is at a lower point, thus it has a higher velocity and centripetal force. However my issue is that according to the equation F = mv^2 / r, the centripetal force would be greater when the radius is smaller, in other words, point B that has a smaller radius would have a higher centripetal force and the apparent weight. Is there an error in my logic, or is the answer wrong? (apparent weight is the normal force acting against the rider)

Vaibhav123456

HSC
Due the larger difference in height from the starting point and the conservation of energy, the KE (and the velocity) will be higher at A (since change in GPE = change in KE). The radius is only for the arc of the circle at the troughs which I guess in this case is assumed to be the same, hence the centripetal force is larger at A. This results in a larger normal force and a higher apparent weight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)