CES 2015 Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

noctua

HSC
The biggest electronics convention for 2015 is going on right now.
What products showcased there are you excited for?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Mixed thoughts so far.

Some companies claim they have pushed the envelope and maybe I don't quite appreciate the technical challenges they faced in developing evolutionary products, but they have not really wowed me- e.g. thinner hard drives, wireless hard drives, iOS-compatible everything, Apple-centric stuff (even though I'm an Apple fan), iPhone cases with battery packs, "deeper colour" TVs, curved TVs in bigger sizes, etc..

... but then a few things seem genuinely exciting or innovative- e.g. BMW's focus on app-ifying their cars with new features. Some of the stuff isn't really groundbreaking- it's doing what they already could do with existing hardware but using an iPhone but I think it pushes the boundaries of control and regular updates into a more normal cycle as opposed to current infrastructure where car software/features aren't really added post-sales.

Another thing which caught my eye was that Samsung washing machine with an inbuilt sink. It sounds stupid and pointless but believe me- once you've lived in an apartment without a laundry sink (such as the one I live in now), you realise how much you miss having a non-kitchen sink you can throw dirty stuff in. Thankfully I have a part time maid but before that, it was a pain.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon it was a typical year. And imo there is too much innovation in TV.. Which is kind of annoying.

Pretty impress about the sink/washing machine.

The only disappointment ( I think it was in CES) was the 1200dollar Walkman powered by android is utterly stupid

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
There are already numerous Walkmans powered by Android. About a year ago I wanted to buy my gf an mp3 player for the gym which was small, portable and had decent interface/storage (and of course the aesthetics). I realised there was nothing on the market in Australia as Sony had very few mp3 walkmans left and noone else was in the market besides Apple.

Now that I live in Singapore I see in the Sony store there are HEAPS of mp3 players including a lot based on Android which are billed as 'audiophile grade' because of inbuilt amplifiers, file support, etc.. (and cost a lot more than an iPod).

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
I thought the production of 'Walkmans" was finished with they stop producing Sony Ericsson phones..

I should do more research

noctua

HSC
You guys should check out the pono music player. They say it is the best device to listen to lossless audio and price it up at $399. Quite ridiculous I think for just a music player, considering the small difference that you would hear in lossless audio

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Given I'm usually listening to music on the go (i.e. public transport or walking around) and I use music primarily from iTunes nowadays, I see there are numerous other bottlenecks (i.e. input quality, my headphones) to performance as well as the limitations in practical usage which make lossless audio not really a relevant consideration. When I am at home there's background noise as I live in an apartment so even with my receiver/amplifier and decent speakers, it goes to waste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)