Chances of me going to a Selective School (different person) (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Hi,

Just whilst the question is around, what are my chances of getting into a lower selective school (its roughly 30th)?

Here is what i go.

My Report this year

(Outstanding = A) 2 A's - Maths, Science
(High = B) 3 B's
(Sound = C) 1 C
(Basic = D) 1 D

Last terms report (Must be included)

5 A's
2 B's
1 C
1 D

Here are my awards:

• Certificate of Academic Excellence
• Year 8 Advisors Award
• 2 Certificates of Excellence
• 24 Merit Certificates
• Bronze Award
• Silver Award
• Musical Participation Award
• Australasian Schools Computer Skills Competition Distinction
• Certificate of Credit AMC
• Certificate of Credit Science Competition
• Technology Trouble-shooter Award
• Certificate of Appreciation for Techno Team
• Citizen of the Year Award

I also have references from

• Computer Co-Ordinator
• Science Teacher
• Mathematics Teacher
• Year Advisor
• Principal
• D.E. Mathematics Teacher

and three other people

I dont have much extracuricular stuff but i do do alot of computing work for the school and stuff (such as the Musical (for which i had to come pritty much every Mon and Tues avo), Ceramonies, Assemblys)

I accelerated in Mathematics Also.

So what are my chances?

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
what about the marks (like /100) for the subjects?
you seem to be good at maths & science which is beneficial. what about english?
i'm curious to know, what subjects did you get your C & D in?

you have a good chance, depending on how many places the school is offering and the quality of the other candidates.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Your awards are good, but most selective schools look for Distinction or higher awards for competitions (even though some people from their school get participations)

As for your report, as long as English was an A or B you have a chance. if Maths and Science are A's, you also have a chance. Selective schools look more for Maths students than English students also. The C and D wont stand out. And I'm telling you that one C can damage your whole chance of getting in, let alone a D. Unless it was for a very unimportant subject that they wont offer or something.
You have participated in a lot of activities which is good.

Id say if you are looking for a school ranked:

100 + : 90% chance (they accept anyone seriously)
50- 100: 80% chance
20-30: 60% chance (it gets harder, but very few people apply for these schools so you have a chance)
10-20: 50% chance (your C and D wont look good)
0-10: under 50% chance. (James Ruse schools have very high expectations)

HSC
james ruse expect outstanding in all subjects less one, unless the second you can justify..

"I dont have much extracuricular stuff but i do do alot of computing work for the school and stuff (such as the Musical (for which i had to come pritty much every Mon and Tues avo), Ceramonies, Assemblys)"

you should also have a person check your spelling when you lodge your application :)

now to the point ^^
i think you have about a 65 - 70% chance of getting in..you have to realise that there will be many students with outstanding reports that will also try to get into a selective school for year 11...
i think the lack of extra-curricula activities will affect you and no offence, half of the awards you've achieved don't really mean anything..

i think i may have been a little too harsh!

sorry for the double post..just read the previous post above my other

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
Your awards are good, but most selective schools look for Distinction or higher awards for competitions (even though some people from their school get participations)

As for your report, as long as English was an A or B you have a chance. if Maths and Science are A's, you also have a chance. Selective schools look more for Maths students than English students also. The C and D wont stand out. And I'm telling you that one C can damage your whole chance of getting in, let alone a D. Unless it was for a very unimportant subject that they wont offer or something.
You have participated in a lot of activities which is good.

Id say if you are looking for a school ranked:

100 + : 90% chance (they accept anyone seriously)
50- 100: 80% chance
20-30: 60% chance (it gets harder, but very few people apply for these schools so you have a chance)
10-20: 50% chance (your C and D wont look good)
0-10: under 50% chance. (James Ruse schools have very high expectations)
I am not really sure if your information is right. 100+ schools do not accept anyone. They have an established procedure they strictly follow. If he had 50% of chance of entering 0-10 school, those schools would be full of new students. It doesn't work like that. Those schools only accept people when they have a place. Even if they have a place, if there are 50 people who apply, they can only give a place to one person out of 50. I think that's what's happening in NSBH. My friend applied with his mates but he got rejected despite his great results at school. He probably performed bad in exam anyway.

So, my point is: you don't necessarily get accepted despite awesome results. There are schools that cannot give places and that's a usual scenario for many school. I reckon chances are less than 10% for school within 50 ranks. But it really depends on how well-ranked the school is and how many places they can give.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
lyounamu said:
I am not really sure if your information is right. 100+ schools do not accept anyone. They have an established procedure they strictly follow. If he had 50% of chance of entering 0-10 school, those schools would be full of new students. It doesn't work like that. Those schools only accept people when they have a place. Even if they have a place, if there are 50 people who apply, they can only give a place to one person out of 50. I think that's what's happening in NSBH. My friend applied with his mates but he got rejected despite his great results at school. He probably performed bad in exam anyway.

So, my point is: you don't necessarily get accepted despite awesome results. There are schools that cannot give places and that's a usual scenario for many school. I reckon chances are less than 10% for school within 50 ranks. But it really depends on how well-ranked the school is and how many places they can give.
good point :D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think your chances are very good. Just knock off the merit certificates. :p

dinubee

HSC
But then again merit certficates are given to students who perform well academically in exams,school services,good behaviour and much more.so i guess its still important to mention.:)

HSC
dinubee said:
But then again merit certficates are given to students who perform well academically in exams,school services,good behaviour and much more.so i guess its still important to mention.:)
lol..my school gives out merits if we answer a question well =.=;;

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
lol..my school gives out merits if we answer a question well =.=;;
i have two school medallions now from getting so many merits!!

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
dux&src said:
i have two school medallions now from getting so many merits!!
I would write down the school medallions rather than the merit certificates

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
kurt.physics said:
Hi,

Just whilst the question is around, what are my chances of getting into a lower selective school (its roughly 30th)?

Here is what i go.

My Report this year

(High = B) 3 B's
(Sound = C) 1 C
(Basic = D) 1 D

5 A's
2 B's
1 C
1 D

Here are my awards:

• Year 8 Advisors Award
• 24 Merit Certificates
• Bronze Award
• Silver Award
Citizen of the Year Award

• Computer Co-Ordinator
• Science Teacher
• Mathematics Teacher
• Year Advisor
• Principal

and three other people

I dont have much extracuricular stuff but i do do alot of computing work for the school and stuff (such as the Musical (for which i had to come pritty much every Mon and Tues avo), Ceramonies, Assemblys)

So what are my chances?
I wouldn't really have a clue since I have never considered moving away from my school where I've been since year 3... but in my non-professional opinion, a citizen of the year award is pretty sexy. I'd like that type of thing in my school.

[EDIT] -If that is an in-school certificate... that's just gay. Which school would make one of those?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh yeah, is that like - Australian Citizen of the Year? NSW Citizen? Town Citizen? =\

L

lsam

kurt.physics said:
Hi,

Here is what i go.

My Report this year

(High = B) 3 B's
(Sound = C) 1 C
(Basic = D) 1 D

5 A's
2 B's
1 C
1 D

Here are my awards:

• Year 8 Advisors Award
• 24 Merit Certificates
• Bronze Award
• Silver Award
• Citizen of the Year Award

• Computer Co-Ordinator
• Science Teacher
• Mathematics Teacher
• Year Advisor
• Principal

and three other people

So what are my chances?
Wow, you are pretty awesome. You will definitely get into my school with that. Good luck.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kurt.physics said:
What school is that?
His school is Knox which is a private high school. I think he is being sarcastic somehow.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
His school is Knox which is a private high school. I think he is being sarcastic somehow.
I would want, nay, be stupid enough to spend $15,000 a year for the same level of education i can get anywhere else!

Gauss

HSC
N/A
In my opinion it really depends on the school. I would say if it was somewhere like ruse you don't have a hope. Don't worry too much though... selective schools are not that great, infact the teachers are often no better than any other school, its a shame its not selective in that aspect..........:burn:

ninwah

HSC
An A's an 80 or above right? (That's an a at my school anyway)

I'm not sure about selective schools around the 30's, but at my school (I go to sydney girls) the statistic is that 80% of each year group get an A in every subject.

Don't know if that makes anything clearer...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)