Changes to BBA degree (1 Viewer)

maka

HSC
Hi,

I was just having a read through the BBA/LAW degree and it looks like there has been some changes i.e. having no REAL set requirments other than BBA 315, BBA 350, BBA 360 and 1x300 level BBA, HRM or DEM unit.

My question is does that mean that we can avoid any of the Accounting/Finance/Economic based units and instead make our own BBA programs taking into account pre requisites and rules of the degree?

Haha as you can most likely tell I am wanting to avoid the maths based subjects as much as possible!

Thanks
Maka

CieL

HSC
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing [for BBA/Psych]

The handbooks have altered between 2006 and 2008.. but does that mean people who have already started their degree can abide by the 2008 handbook set requirements?

Damn it'll be great if I don't have to do ACCG253...

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Some new BBA degrees have changed to 'coherencies'... I've not taken a look at them, but we've been talking about them at work.

As long as you meet the unit prerequisites -- numbers of CP at various levels, complete the core units (and by implication, their prerequisite units, too), then you'd be right.
...makes the degree more complex, but little more than a glorified BA (in the sense that it's very general, and so there's little more difference than an extra "B" in the title, so what's the point? IMHO :)).

Students follow the handbook of the year of admission, as far as they can (i.e. some units from 2003, my year of admission, are on my handbook but have been replaced by new unit codes). Therefore, if you're already enrolled, unless you do a degree transfer out of the BBA, and then back into it (or the portion fo your double degree), you'll follow the old handbook. If in doubt, seek academic advice from your department. The uni doesn't exactly apologise to students who choose the wrong units and don't qualify for their degree(s)...

maka

HSC
Hahaha.... I always thought that too. Definitely a glorified arts degree. I am doing it cos I got a transfer from UTS Business and got the most exemptions.

Thanks for clearing it up though a bit more. It is a bit confusing.

richgirl.cc

Lazy workaholic
HSC
all of my friends who r goin to USYD or UNSW r like choosing all their own subjects. I got my program of study for the 100 level BBA LLB and it lists the 8 EXACT subjects I have to take this year, no choice. :( arrrggghh I'm stuck with statistics and financial accounting!!!!!:angry:

maka

HSC
What subjects do we need to do for the 2008 BBA/LLB?

maka

HSC
Yeah, I effectively thought the only requirements were:

Bachelor of Business Administration:

BBA350, BBA360, BBA315 and 3cp from any 300 level BBA, MKTG, HRM or DEM unit and the associated prerequisites.

Now, some people are saying you need to do XYZ as a core whereas I believed it was just the above BBA 315,350, 360 and the 300 level choice whilst meeting their pre requisites whilst working backwards.

For example, BBA 315 requires the completion of 1 x ISYS or COMP 100 level unit (admission to BBA and 40CP etc).

I need to speak to Rebecca again but what I thought is if it isnt particularly mentioned either as a prescribed unit or pre req for prescribed unit, you dont have to do it.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
maka said:
...some people are saying you need to do XYZ as a core ...
If it ain't on the list it ain't a core. :) Make sure you (and they!) are following the right year of the handbook, and the right Program of Study for the degree.

Technically, the only cores for your POS are those listed in your handbook. These will (generally) not change during your degree. However, the prerequisites for the core units probably will, and thus prerequisites are not cores (...and if that causes you grief becuase you've already met the prerequisites or something, you get a Waiver)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)