Charles Sturt University (1 Viewer)

HSC
Charles Sturt University is a pretty good uni for anyone umming and arring over putting it as one of their preferences.

CSU Wagga Wagga is good for Arts, Science, Agriculture, Pharmacy.

CSU Bathurst is good for Education, Nursing, Business and Social Sciences (e.g. Psychology).

CSU Dubbo is a satellite campus which feeds off both CSU Wagga and Bathurst (via video links).

I'm not sure about Albury CSU.

CSU is also the best university for Distance Education in Australia, but distance education applications have to be submitted directly to the university and not via UAC.

It is also worth noting that on-campus accommodation at all the CSU campuses is limited and you really should have a back-up accommodation plan if you end up not getting a place in the on-campus accommodation.

Bathurst in particular is an education based town (provincial city) and therefore the real estate agents are very flexible when it comes to students sharing a house together.

The best thing to do if you want to live off campus (its cheaper than on-campus) is to go to the CSU off-campus accommodation forum (in the http://my.csu.edu.au/ website) and advertise your desire to be in a shared house and/or look to see if others are advertising spare rooms. Be quick because they get snapped up right after the on-campus accommodation ballot. Have your BOND and 2 weeks in advance rent ready (save about $600) so you can quickly secure an off-campus room if need be.

CHARLES STURT UNIVERSITY:
http://www.csu.edu.au/

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
CSU Albury is really good for health sciences like podiatry, occupational therapy, physiotherapy and speech pathology. Also not bad for teaching.

CSU Bathurst is good for journalism.... but UTS is better hehehe.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Without Wings said:
IMO, i wouldnt go there, there is no way you would have got me there for uni.
CSU maybe good for those subjects, but so are a lot of unis, and a lot of unis are excellent, much better than CSU, and that's what a lot of ppl want. Ppl don't want to go to a good uni, there's lots of those, they want to go to the best one. THe one that provides them with the best education, knowledge, opportunities, resources, and is highly respected by the community to ensure they get the job they desire after they graduate.

Also CSU wagga on campus accommodation is :( even for uni accommodation...
I'd have to refuse, only because UOW is such an awesome uni of course... ;)

I feel like santaslayer saying things like that. :D

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Without Wings said:
hehe i know what you mean. But all i said is true so... Plus its not like im bagging out all unis except mine. I wouldn't say that about USyd, i'd be nearly as happy to do my course at usyd than uow, but i would be miserable if i was doing it at CSU. I've discussed with people who are doing the same course as me, but at CSU, and their description makes me so glad i went to UOW. I'm getting way better opportunities, and education.
Plus I'm there for the fun side of things as well as an education... UOW seems to cater for both quite well.

I know a lot of people who distance ed. through CSU and they say its great. Every uni has it's plus and minuses, it's just what you look for in a uni which determines how you view each respective place.

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
HAHA you think im going to travel to these shit-bush places to study at csu? Good luck.
"shit bush places"...u ever been to bathst,orange,dubs etc...
bit sheltered i think...dont knock something till u try it...for all u know csu is a great place to study

HSC
kimmeh said:
I thought CSU was good for their journalism degrees ?
CSU Bathurst has one of the best (dont know if its the best) journalism degrees in Australia. It's highly competitive and you have to do a lot more than just get a good UAI.

Bachelor of Arts (Communication - Journalism):
http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/ug/arts/comjou/

You literally have to know you want to do this course months and months in advance and start preparing way before the HSC exams for it.

HSC
iceflower86 said:
I like Bathurst, it's a good town and it's close enough to come back here when I want to.
Yeah. The town is centred around uni students. The major population is university / school students (because of the private high schools). In Bathurst the 'going out' nights are not just Friday and Saturday, you also have Thursday (because theres no uni classes on Friday). And this is just for getting pissed. You can go out on the other days as well.

I travel to Sydney all the time. I can get to Sydney within 2 and a half hours. (only 30 minutes by plane).

Busses leave from Bathurst to Lithgow Station (Lithgow is where the city rail trains stop) 4 or 5 times a day, and Lithgow is only 50 minutes away.

Theres also the XPT going to Sydney every afternoon at 5:15PM (stops in Parra as well).

I have lived in Sydney before (more specifically around Leichhardt / Balmain) and when you first get here you might hate it, but after a month or two you really get used to the place (even attached maybe).

mishka

HSC
N/A
my cousin was in Bathurst for her Early Childhood degree and she loved it. I would actually love to experience being away from home and living with a bunch of uni people! One thing that took her a while to get used to when she got back (to Sydney, that is) was that people aren't as friendly and everything is so fast-paced.

Uni students are great for the regional cities and I think the unis there should be given a fair go. Just because they aren't in the city, doesn't mean they are any "worse" than ones located here. :)

HSC
mishka said:
Uni students are great for the regional cities and I think the unis there should be given a fair go. Just because they aren't in the city, doesn't mean they are any "worse" than ones located here. :)
Well Charles Sturt University is probably not the 'best' university or the 'richest', but it does well in the courses it offers. It always ranks good in the Good Universities Guide.

It however doesn't just do stupid things like universities such as Monash. For example, Monash University opened up a South African campus and it has ended up being a real failure (a loss making venture). They simply do it for the 'multi-culti' status (feel good blah blah blah).

CSU has just opened CSU-Ontario (Canada) and it has started off as a successful venture. This has real benefits for CSU education students (because CSU Ontario is for education at the moment) because a CSU education degree is now recognised in Canada. Students can go to Canada and study, teach etc far more easy than students at other uni's.

CSU - Ontario:
http://www.csu.edu.au/campus/ontario/

It's very limited at the moment but it has the potential to be built up. At least CSU didn't waste hundreds of millions of dollars setting this up, unlike some universities (and Monash isn't the only guilty party).

HSC
Without Wings said:
Many unis offer the opportunity to go overseas, as many have campuses o/s. for example UOW has a Dubai campus, but they are also associated with many unis in various countries, allowing a large variety of opportunities to study o/s. As a first year education student I have been offered the opportunity to go overseas this year to study. They offer a number of opportunities to their students every year. THey also don't just throw you o/s, they ensure you are up to speed with the country and its education system, language etc, so that when you get there you have an understanding of the education system and what is expected of you, you aren't helpless, therefore wasting your time there.

Also you can always do a semester overseas at another uni and do subjects recognised towards your degree.
Other subjects at overseas universities aren't always recognised. I plan on going to the Interdisciplinary Center (Raphael Recanati International School) http://www.idc.ac.il/eng/ in Israel after I finish my degree at CSU.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
dubbo, bathurst, orange: no they aren't "Shit bush places" but htey aren't that big either etc. Their nightlife, shopping, and other facilities are limited compared to sydney, or even wollongong , but that's what some people want too. Some people don't want to be in the city like sydney, or even in wollongong, they want to go smaller, quieter, more country like.
Bathurst nightlife is better than my old suburban Sydney nightlife. Theres 3,000 Uni students, and I've seen the park open till 2 or 3 on a Wednesday night (Thursday - Saturday it's till the last stumbles out - you should have seen Union finals night!) The whole nightclub scene is absent, but the pubs at ten times better than sydney's 'trendy pubs', and full of nicer people as well.

Dubbo is actually one the biggest inland cities (Wagga being the biggest) and is the regional centre for the Central West, Northern Slopes and Plains and Far West (before Broken Hill) - but yes, night life is shit.

I won't comment on Orange.

What gets me though is that people who think Bathurst is in woop-woop. It's 2.5 Hours from Sydney City - thats not going to ruin your whole day.

But anyone looking for a good time in Uni - where you know people in your course and pretty much live 'the Uni life', CSU is a good place to go, esspecially those looking for independence.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
CSU has best pharmacy degree, wagga does not have shit accomodation and wagga is way better than sydney.

specialjenny

HSC
iceflower86 said:
The first 8 of my 9 preferences are for CSU Bathurst.

Its got courses I want, courses I have the best chance of getting into (I'm a 05 non-school leaver), my boyfriends there, and I want get my ass out of Sydney the sooner the better!!
I like Bathurst, it's a good town and it's close enough to come back here when I want to.
Hi,

I am just curious, when you said you are a non school leaver and you have best chance of getting into CSU... why do you have better chance getting into CSU than other universities? Sorry, just wondering because I am a non school leaver too and I am exploring all possible alternatives.

Thanks.

HSC
specialjenny said:
Hi,

I am just curious, when you said you are a non school leaver and you have best chance of getting into CSU... why do you have better chance getting into CSU than other universities? Sorry, just wondering because I am a non school leaver too and I am exploring all possible alternatives.

Thanks.
Im not the person you're asking to reply, but ill reply anyway.

CSU is a university that doesn't just look at a UAI when deciding to admit someone. They look at other things such as whether you have studied somewhere else (e.g. TAFE), what sort of jobs you have had etc.

They also cater for mature age students in regards to their Distance Education programs. Distance Ed is pretty much targeted toward Mums and Dads who don't have time to go to lectures everyday.

In saying this, mature age students aren't just restricted to Distance Education. CSU is very accommodating. You have the best access to lecturers as they don't deal with THOUSANDS of students like some of the city universities do.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Wollongong is different....it's Wollongong ;)

I've been to both, and both are good in different ways :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)