• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chem chem chemistrrrry. More on metals (1 Viewer)

*!~RidDle$~!*

HSC
Just wondering
Can anyone explain to me the why the bronze age came before the Iron age?
Ok, so i get the fact that they weren't able to extract it because iron has a much higher melting temp than any of the furnaces or fires allowed - so change in technology would be one reason, right? But is that all there is?
Appreciate your help
xx

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Because bronze has a lower melting point that iron? Easier to use for weaponry and tools etc.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
*!~RidDle$~!* said:
Just wondering
Can anyone explain to me the why the bronze age came before the Iron age?
Ok, so i get the fact that they weren't able to extract it because iron has a much higher melting temp than any of the furnaces or fires allowed - so change in technology would be one reason, right? But is that all there is?
Appreciate your help
xx
You are right. Technology would be the only reason. The time in which the metals are extracted & used for human uses are directly related to the technology at that time. From 2300 to 1200 BCE, they did not have the technology to extract the iron & forge it into tools and weapons.

As you menionted iron has very high MP compared to the metal components of the bronze (i.e. copper & tin). Copper has the MP of 1085 degrees Celsius and the tin has the MP of 232 compared with 1535 degrees Celsius for iron.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
And when copper and tin are combined, Bronze's melting point is lower than copper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)