Chem Help - Enthalpy of neutralisation (1 Viewer)

DheerChoudhury

HSC
So basically the answer says -53kJ/mol, which I guess I'm not disputing...
I'm just confused; I thought at the last step, you include the molar ratio of the water (2)?
Any help or consolidation would be appreciated :)

1634779422147.png

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The equation is

Ba(OH)2 + 2CH3COOH ---> Ba(CH3CO2)2 + 2H2O​

The proper equation for finding is

In this case, the only substance we have the chemical amount of is ethanoic acid, and thus we have

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
So basically the answer says -53kJ/mol, which I guess I'm not disputing...
I'm just confused; I thought at the last step, you include the molar ratio of the water (2)?
Any help or consolidation would be appreciated :)

View attachment 32865
I think it's because of the way they define the enthalpy of neutralisation in the HSC. It is stated as the amount of heat energy released from a neutralisation reaction when 1 mole of water is produced at 25 C and 100 kpa.

So the definition they use is deltaH neut = -q / n(H2O)

Based on that if you have q = 3.98145 kJ

2CH3COOH(aq) + Ba(OH)2(aq) --> Ba(CH3COO)2(aq) + 2H2O(l)

n(CH3COOH) = cv = (1.5)(50/1000) = 0.075 moles
n(H2O) = n(CH3COOH) = 0.075 moles

deltaH neut = -3.98145 / 0.075 = -53 kJ/mol

In terms of answering your molar ratio comment. Yes that was taken but it's not a molar ratio of 2. Because comparing to the substance you have the moles of which is CH3COOH, the ratios are exactly the same. There is a 2:2 ratio so the moles of CH3COOH is the same as moles of water made

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I am not going to argue with @jazz519 about syllabus definitions.

However, the equation (with enthalpy change) is

Ba(OH)2 + 2CH3COOH ---> Ba(CH3CO2)2 + 2H2O
If they want to define it in terms of per mole of water, the equation must be:

Ba(OH)2 + CH3COOH ---> Ba(CH3CO2)2 + H2O

which is really bad chemical practice as fractions in equations should never produce fractional atoms, which they do in this case.

If they argued that neutralisation was H+ + OH-, they would be incorrectly representing ethanoic acid as strong, when it is not.

DheerChoudhury

HSC
I think it's because of the way they define the enthalpy of neutralisation in the HSC. It is stated as the amount of heat energy released from a neutralisation reaction when 1 mole of water is produced at 25 C and 100 kpa.

So the definition they use is deltaH neut = -q / n(H2O)

Based on that if you have q = 3.98145 kJ

2CH3COOH(aq) + Ba(OH)2(aq) --> Ba(CH3COO)2(aq) + 2H2O(l)

n(CH3COOH) = cv = (1.5)(50/1000) = 0.075 moles
n(H2O) = n(CH3COOH) = 0.075 moles

deltaH neut = -3.98145 / 0.075 = -53 kJ/mol

In terms of answering your molar ratio comment. Yes that was taken but it's not a molar ratio of 2. Because comparing to the substance you have the moles of which is CH3COOH, the ratios are exactly the same. There is a 2:2 ratio so the moles of CH3COOH is the same as moles of water made
Ohhhh right, yeah I just realised the silly error. >_<

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I am not going to argue with @jazz519 about syllabus definitions.

However, the equation (with enthalpy change) is

Ba(OH)2 + 2CH3COOH ---> Ba(CH3CO2)2 + 2H2O
If they want to define it in terms of per mole of water, the equation must be:

Ba(OH)2 + CH3COOH ---> Ba(CH3CO2)2 + H2O

which is really bad chemical practice as fractions in equations should never produce fractional atoms, which they do in this case.

If they argued that neutralisation was H+ + OH-, they would be incorrectly representing ethanoic acid as strong, when it is not.
Yeah this is correct but I guess for purpose of HSC they just have to calculate like that as that's what taught in textbooks like Pearson Chemistry

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Yeah this is correct but I guess for purpose of HSC they just have to calculate like that as that's what taught in textbooks like Pearson Chemistry
The HSC has already proven that it will mark wrong answers that come from textbooks where the textbook is in error - it came up years back with the incorrect handling of eutrophication in the orange yr 12 conquering chemistry book, and it was noted in the examiner's report.

If textbooks have things wrong, it is up to them to change to match the syllabus, not the other way around... and the correct handling of delta H has been a mess for ages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)