Chem Tutors (1 Viewer)

dumNerd

HSC
Hey, anyone dude Sigma/Ace chemistry tutoring. Is it good?

dasfas

HSC
I'd personally go for 1 on 1 tutoring if I were in your place. Granted I am biased because I'm a tutor myself, but I think that there's significant value in being able to over a question with a person and work through it with them step by step as opposed to sigma/ace which is essentially just glorified school.

golden-touch

HSC
I'd personally go for 1 on 1 tutoring if I were in your place. Granted I am biased because I'm a tutor myself, but I think that there's significant value in being able to over a question with a person and work through it with them step by step as opposed to sigma/ace which is essentially just glorified school.
do you only offer chem, or phys as well?
do you have weekly resource booklets?
how long does a module last?
do you have mock exams, past papers, extra resources?

golden-touch

HSC
do you just teach staright of the textbook or have booklets to follow or something?

dasfas

HSC
do you only offer chem, or phys as well?
do you have weekly resource booklets?
how long does a module last?
do you have mock exams, past papers, extra resources?
I only offer chem/bio. I make new weekly resource booklets each week (made up from past papers questions and some content). I generally go through a dot-point a lesson so for example, I cover module 7 in 6 lessons because there are 6 sub dot-points. And yeah, i've got like 20+ past papers from 2019. I teach from my notes, I don't follow a textbook per say but I used pearson/nelson to make my notes so I guess you could see it like that.

golden-touch

HSC
I only offer chem/bio. I make new weekly resource booklets each week (made up from past papers questions and some content). I generally go through a dot-point a lesson so for example, I cover module 7 in 6 lessons because there are 6 sub dot-points. And yeah, i've got like 20+ past papers from 2019. I teach from my notes, I don't follow a textbook per say but I used pearson/nelson to make my notes so I guess you could see it like that.
could u send more info! im currently going to a tutoring company but its too expensive for no reason. im studying mod 5 there and want to start mod 6 at another place. please dm pricing, location, sample of materials, etc. thank u

dasfas

HSC
could u send more info! im currently going to a tutoring company but its too expensive for no reason. im studying mod 5 there and want to start mod 6 at another place. please dm pricing, location, sample of materials, etc. thank u
Yep, dm'd you, I don't want to de-rail this thread haha

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I take it that you never attended any of my lessons at Sigma?
You definitely cannot pigeonhole my tutoring centre, or any centre for that matter.
Both 1-to-1 and group tutoring have their own unique advantages.
Being taught by an experienced, qualified, enthusiastic teacher will be far superior than a run of the mill university student (I have NFI what ur qualifications are).
At the end of the day, I would always want an experienced educator looking after my children, which is why I have my children tutored by qualified teachers.

dasfas

HSC
I take it that you never attended any of my lessons at Sigma?
You definitely cannot pigeonhole my tutoring centre, or any centre for that matter.
Both 1-to-1 and group tutoring have their own unique advantages.
Being taught by an experienced, qualified, enthusiastic teacher will be far superior than a run of the mill university student (I have NFI what ur qualifications are).
At the end of the day, I would always want an experienced educator looking after my children, which is why I have my children tutored by qualified teachers.
No I never attended Sigma. I'm speaking about some of my tutees who used to go there and stopped.

I stand by my point that having a 1 on 1 has significant benefits. Being able to stop the teacher when there's something you don't understand, as opposed to being in a class where it's most difficult to do so without annoying the rest of the class, is incredibly useful. You can skip over content that the student already understands and go in more depth with the content that they struggle with. You can't do that with a class.

However, I agree that group classes do have their advantages, and can encourage more competition between peers or allow for insightful contributions from other peers.

I also agree that an experienced and qualified tutor is best. But if you are experienced, qualified and also a University student, there's nothing wrong with that. They're on the front line and going through the same daily struggles of studying. They know the small tips on how to maximise your time, how best to organise your study notes, how to write scholarship applications because all of that knowledge is fresh in their minds.

I've had teachers with multiple PhDs with decades of experience, who are arguably the most qualified of all, present the most boring and convoluted lectures. I've also have 25 year old tutors explain these concepts to me plainly and clearly. Ultimately, it's down to the person who's doing the teaching.

I agree that there are benefits to both. You prefer group because it's easier and you have more students at a time, I prefer 1 on 1. It depends on the student.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
That’s fair enough!
Group tuition is definitely not for everyone.
Although, I do have a 98%+ retention rate and most of my classes are completely filled, so I must be doing something right!
My classes are catered towards the higher achieving students and if students are unable to keep up, it is definitely a source of frustration for both the individual student and the rest of the class.
I’ve previously recommended to parents of select students that they pursue 1-to-1 tuition as they just weren’t the right fit for the class. Of course, I would never deny a student tuition, so if they decided to stay, I would still do my best to help them improve and they often do, they would probably just improve more by paying that little extra and getting a good 1-to-1 tutor who can answer every single one of their questions.
I agree that there are decent university students tutoring, but nothing compares to a decent teacher — this is often the first question I get from parents ‘will my kid be taught by an actual teacher?’
With that being said, indeed there are teachers who don’t pull their weight. The worst ‘teacher’ I have ever had was also the smartest teacher I have ever had, PhD qualified, but just couldn’t teach.

At the end of the day, it just comes down to what you think is best for the type of students you tutor. If I thought 1-to-1 was best for high achieving students, I would do that and have a small student roster, but, I personally don’t (and research shows), hence small group tuition will always be the way which I prefer.

No 30+ students in a class, 15 is a pretty sweet spot imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)