chemistry of art (1 Viewer)

R

randhi

wow, i'm the only one thats posted for this elective,
iguess thats a bad thing. :(

well if theres anyone that does chemistry of art want to tell how bad this elective is or is it any good

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
It's interesting chemistry, but it requires a teacher with a good understanding of university inorganic chemistry.

cameron0110

HSC
Yeah well I'm in the same boat as u Randhi cause well... we go to the same school but rest assured- we've been told that our school does well at it- plus I'm sure it can't be thaaaat bad.

Last edited:
R

randhi

yes yes i know but then again can i just please just says really horrible for now just to reassure myself that if i fail its because the science department decided to choose the hard elective that i can't understand.

cameron0110

HSC
Ok then I'm sure its impossible and everyone will fail - are you happy now. Like everything else I don't think it would be any easier or harder than any other topic we are doing so my advice is to not worry about it too much and enjoy the pretty colours.

Last edited:
R

randhi

Pretty colours!!!!!!!!!!!! how nice!!!
actually the last time we had the flame test i think i actually did like the pretty colours.

cameron0110

HSC
For the dot point about choosing one medieval artwork- is that in any of the textbooks cause I can't seem to find it?

Last edited:
R

randhi

i'm doing medieval times by Goto or i could always do the ones up in Sri Lanka because i'm lankan and i guess i could bullshit too.
but thats just something u could do.
no i don't do the lankan thing because u probably wouldn't get anything. i'm doing frescoes in medieval times by Goto.

chemistry of art isn't that bad acutally... so far anyhow!!

cameron0110

HSC
Yeah I noticed in one of the books I have it mentioned Frescos and stuff so I figure I'll use that or something like it. Its all falling into place mwahahaha

R

randhi

I know!!! i wasn't too keen before but once we started it wasn't really as horrible as i thought.

i think we all can't wait till its over

cameron0110

HSC
Well I was liking it too up until the point I massacred the research assignment on it. But still it doesn't look that bad and at least some of the pracs in it will be interesting to see and due to my general laziness its nice to see that some of it overlaps with the Monitoring and Management stuff (well the flame tests do anyway).

mojako

HSC
i did not know that this module exist (and the biochem of movement too) until today when i looked at the CSU website. i thought CSU might be mistaken or just giving some jokes to make chem more interesting to ppl..
and was about to ask it in the forum.. until.. what? i saw these 2 electives in here too...
then looked at the syllabus and the chem of art doesn't really have art in it... mm.. not very interesting although im no good in art anyway.
my textbook only includes the 3 other electives.

R

randhi

Its not all art, in fact only one section is on art itself and that in itself isn't really on art. believe me when i say that because i did art for four years, however there is alot on colours. pretty colours and how they come about!!

cameron0110

HSC
mojako said:
i did not know that this module exist (and the biochem of movement too) until today when i looked at the CSU website. i thought CSU might be mistaken or just giving some jokes to make chem more interesting to ppl..
and was about to ask it in the forum.. until.. what? i saw these 2 electives in here too...
then looked at the syllabus and the chem of art doesn't really have art in it... mm.. not very interesting although im no good in art anyway.
my textbook only includes the 3 other electives.
Its not in the textbook we are using either which is a real bitch cause the other textbooks I've looked at stuff for it are sketchy and incomplete or else they cover a whole lot of stuff we don't even need. It basically means that I need a copy of the syllabus nearby whenever I do anything to do with this topic just to make sure that I've got everything covered and I imagine there are a lot of people in the same boat. If only this was like Legal or Eco where I can just learn stuff straight out of the textbook.

cameron0110

HSC
I know its not that much trouble, I just like being lazy and complaining when I can't be. In actual fact a lot of this topic isn't too hard based on the fact that its almost all Monitoring and Management stuff so its almost like doing extended revision. So far so good, hopefully the sodium doublet stuff is the hardest this gets, although i doubt it- but at least i get that stuff which is a start.

R

randhi

You know what i can never get Bohrs assumptions, it just doesn't stick and for that matter neither does that sodium doublet thing. i think i could be in trouble...

cameron0110

HSC
Ok here is my take on the whole issue. Bohr's assumptions were that the subshells at one distinct energy level all contained the same energy. i.e. 2s was the same energy as 2p, which it was for Hydrogen however this didn't work for other elements because of Schroedinger's uncertainty principle which stated that we can't identify where an electron is, we can only work out the probability of it being in a certain location. The 2s shell has a small probability of being in close to the nucleus while the 2p doesn't really have the same level of probability which means that the 2s shell partially shields the 2p shell from nuclear charge. This means that 2s is held closer to the nucleus while 2p is further out meaning they possess different energy levels.

Due to the magnetic field possessed by electrons caused by their rotations and spin, the 2p subshell in Sodium splits with 2 orbitals being at one energy level and 1 at a slightly different energy level. The energy released from 2p to 2s in sodium is at a yellow wavelength and the subtle energy difference results in the doublet as there is only a very small difference in energies so they have similar wavelengths leading to the creation of the Sodium doublet. I'm sorry about any innaccuracies in that and if anyone knows better than can correct me cause that was just off the top of my head so I've probably got something wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)