Chinese mainland movies...imported here? (1 Viewer)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
do u think that some of the chinese mainland movies, like Promise and Perhaps Love, will have audiences here, as in screening them in australian cinemas? i knew that Hero did (brilliant movie), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon did, Kungfu Hustle did (i think), but i wonder with the other recent movies IF they shall follow Hero's lead to western nations?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
do u think that some of the chinese mainland movies, like Promise and Perhaps Love, will have audiences here, as in screening them in australian cinemas? i knew that Hero did (brilliant movie), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon did, Kungfu Hustle did (i think), but i wonder with the other recent movies IF they shall follow Hero's lead to western nations?
No. Subtitled movies will never make it consistantly to mainstream cinemas. Even the recent Miyazaki movie didn't make it to Greater Union or Hoyts, despite Miyazaki's mainstream popularity. I'm pretty sure that Kung Fu hustle was only showing in the Market City cinemas. The best that we'll get are butchered Hollywood versions of asian movies (RE: My Sassy Girl). WHITE GIRLS CAN'T BE CUTE EVIL ASIAN GIRLS (and I can't imagine a white guy being that whipped either) :p. Funnily enough, most people probably won't realise that it was originally something from overseas. That isn't to say that there isn't a shot for movies with Ziyi (since she's the only asian based actress who really has a name in the West) or directed by Ang Lee. I just think that it's unlikely, which is a shame.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i guess you can always go back and buy some (genuine) DVDs and play them in a home threatre here... remember to invite your friends and share the love :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:
i guess you can always go back and buy some (genuine) DVDs and play them in a home threatre here... remember to invite your friends and share the love :)
Genuine DVDs are just too hard to find, the ones they sell in Chinatown for $15 are pirates.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
They're not that hard to find at legit stores actually. In fact, genuine DVD prices are at rock bottom in China since they are having to compete with their pirated counterparts.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Mountain.Dew said:
probably not as australia doesnt have the right target market for chinese mainland movies.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Hm...

Kung Fu Hustle iz actually from HK, and Crouchin Tiger iz from Taiwan.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Speaking of Chinese mainland movies.. I saw the trailer for Promise. I don't think I've seen dodgier special effects in the past 10 years. Does anyone know if it's worth seeing at all?

walrusbear

HSC
neo_o said:
No. Subtitled movies will never make it consistantly to mainstream cinemas. Even the recent Miyazaki movie didn't make it to Greater Union or Hoyts, despite Miyazaki's mainstream popularity. I'm pretty sure that Kung Fu hustle was only showing in the Market City cinemas. The best that we'll get are butchered Hollywood versions of asian movies (RE: My Sassy Girl). WHITE GIRLS CAN'T BE CUTE EVIL ASIAN GIRLS (and I can't imagine a white guy being that whipped either) :p. Funnily enough, most people probably won't realise that it was originally something from overseas. That isn't to say that there isn't a shot for movies with Ziyi (since she's the only asian based actress who really has a name in the West) or directed by Ang Lee. I just think that it's unlikely, which is a shame.
it doesn't detract from your main statements, but i believe howl's moving castle was at some hoyts. i'm pretty sure george st. was showing it...
for the record.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hmm... didn't Initial D come out in Australian cinemas last year? Watched it so many times on DVD now. =D

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
yeah i also agree with you. jay chou is such a bad actor. but besides that the movie was quite funny at times. esp the character who played itsuki hahah.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
2000th post! :D

hopeles5ly said:
yeah i also agree with you. jay chou is such a bad actor.
You gotta like his songs at least! =D

I liked the part when the petrol station owner's son kept throwing up after sitting in the car. :rofl:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
You gotta like his songs at least! =D

I liked the part when the petrol station owner's son kept throwing up after sitting in the car. :rofl:
yeah his songs rock. ive got A LOT of them. i love it when he was arguing with his dad about getting a gtr after how he crashed his car. his like if i had a gtr i wouldnt have got in that accident. and his dad is like if you were driving it you be dead already ! hahah classic .. you know canto or at least understand it yer?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
yeah his songs rock. ive got A LOT of them. i love it when he was arguing with his dad about getting a gtr after how he crashed his car. his like if i had a gtr i wouldnt have got in that accident. and his dad is like if you were driving it you be dead already ! hahah classic .. you know canto or at least understand it yer?
Lol! That part made me crack up. Yeah I'm pretty fluent with my canto too. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)