Chiropractic medicine, Homeopathy, Spiritual healing? (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Do you believe in these 'sciences' ?

My own opinion:

While Chiropractic is of course perhaps more of a science than these other treatments (some studies have shown some good results from some methods of lower-back manipulation), I figured I'd include it here because in general the industry as a whole is bunk. For the rest of these forms of medicine, I see no good evidence what so ever.

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A
in short, no. its a lot of placebo effect, imo. people believe something, then they'll think it'll work and they'll be an effect. its why any new medication is tested against placebos, to make sure results aren't just from people thinking its gonna work.

gerhard

HSC
my psych lecturer spent a whole lecture ranting about how homeopathy is bullshit. at the start of the lecture he took 40 doses of a homeopathic sleeping tablet to prove it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
gerhard said:
my psych lecturer spent a whole lecture ranting about how homeopathy is bullshit. at the start of the lecture he took 40 doses of a homeopathic sleeping tablet to prove it.
hahahah yea, I'd like to do that myself to show people how stupid they are. But apprently they coat them in some chemical that makes them quite untastey :/

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Homeopathy is the epitome of friggin placebo effects ..... research showed it has very little scientific basis and is not well supported..

Chiropractic i have read 50/50.. lik some studies says it works.. and some dont.. jury is out..

Spiritual healing.. isnt meant to be a science.. unless u think science and religion are one and the same.. its faith based healing

and with the psychology of medicine being a big factor controlling immune system (like cortisol release) and nervous system (like perception of pain) .. i m not surpirse ppl use them and feel they work..

Again i think if it works for you and does not cause further harm.. then why not?

gerhard

HSC
the thing is, homeopathic companies rake in hundreds of millions of dollars a year

davin

HSC
N/A
Again i think if it works for you and does not cause further harm.. then why not?
The issue is that it doesn't always work...simply believing isn't a guarantee and many people will choose these solutions rather than actual, proven, medical solutions because they see them as equal. That costs lives....not just the lives of the people making the decision, but more worrisome, imo, is when parents make those choices for kids that are in need of medical treatment.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Homeopathy/spiritual healing/etc = complete wank.

Chiropractics has a foundation in tangible actions and effects = chiropractics is a science.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
spiritual healing - shit

but homeopathy actually works, i know few people who take it, like anything it had different effects on different people.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You do realise that homeopathic treatments are usually a chemical... mixed in water... and diluted way past the point when the chemical is no longer recognised in the solution :/

Chiropractics has a foundation in tangible actions and effects = chiropractics is a science.
There has been some evidence that lower back manipulation can lead to benefits. However much of what is practiced has very little scientific basis.

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
spiritual healing - shit

but homeopathy actually works, i know few people who take it, like anything it had different effects on different people.
placebo

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
You do realise that homeopathic treatments are usually a chemical... mixed in water... and diluted way past the point when the chemical is no longer recognised in the solution :/

There has been some evidence that lower back manipulation can lead to benefits. However much of what is practiced has very little scientific basis.
The practice of the use of active ingredients in minute dosages along with naturally occurring substances in order to provide a healthier balance of internal chemistry. These minute dosages would be viewed in traditional medicine as ineffective.

the chemical does jackshit, buts it the natural substances that are effective. it has to be effective in the sense how can it be so successful? there is got be some effectivness? whether negative or positive?

idea is diluting it, is bit like eating poison. from eg:
lets assume drink X has 100ml 100% poison, 1ml of 100% posion will kill me. But the body can tolerate 0.03% of posion. So i would dilute to 0.003% poison, and drink to build my tolerance of the poison, and slowly increasing the poison concentration. soon the body will tolerate 100% 1ml poison. thats the nature of our body, i think it works on that principle?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
"let likes cure like"

In my opinion Homeopathy works in some cases.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
idea is diluting it, is bit like eating poison. from eg:
lets assume drink X has 100ml 100% poison, 1ml of 100% posion will kill me. But the body can tolerate 0.03% of posion. So i would dilute to 0.003% poison, and drink to build my tolerance of the poison, and slowly increasing the poison concentration. soon the body will tolerate 100% 1ml poison. thats the nature of our body, i think it works on that principle?
No it doesn't - because the point of dilution within most homeopathic medicine is so low that the chemical is no longer there. Some people claim it leaves a 'mark' on the water, however there is no good evidence, at all - it is a total joke.

In my opinion Homeopathy works in some cases.
Moreso than a placebo? There have been extensive studies on this and never has that been found (by a reputable source that would allow people to observe how they came to their results). There was one scientist who made this claim, some other scientists were skeptical so they asked to go down to his lab and monitor his experiment - making sure that it was a 'double blind' experiment. Of course, they ended up with results mirroring all the accepted data which points to it having no more of an affect than a placebo.

It never really 'works', it's just the power of suggestion makes people believe it works... when you give a group of people a placebo and claim they have recieved say a sleeping drug... many (most) will claim it is successful.

Last edited:

mr_brightside

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Moreso than a placebo? There have been extensive studies on this and never has that been found (by a reputable source that would allow people to observe how they came to their results).
yes.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Ok, what's your evidence for this? or is it just a hunch? Often people seem to think that when you imply it's just the placebo affect that you're calling them stupid or whatever... but the truth is the power of suggestion can work just as well on very skeptical, intelligent people as it can on complete morons.

I just find it quite amazing that you can believe that something which.. is so diluted that it no longer has the chemical in it (some homeopathic websites believe that you can transmit via wire the 'spirit' of the chemical or whatever so that they can sell it via phone/internet), defying all reputable studies into its effectiveness.

mr_brightside

HSC
Ive had homeopathic remedies before.
In a few cases it worked, in others I felt it didnt.

I have no actual evidence apart from personal experience.

ps. The selling of it over internet and phone is just stupid.

malkin86

HSC
I reckon that with all medicine, a placebo effect helps. Mind over matter, or something of that nature.

My mother's friend is a chiropractor, and I've had some treatments from her occasionally. I believe it works - as my mother's friend practices it, it's like a massage (which studies have shown relieves stress and improves muscle ...is 'flexibility' the right word?... - anyway, massages are generally regarded as beneficial).

I also believe that aromatherapy works, although the placebo effect helps it too - because I reckon that the chemicals in the scent go to your brain and have a temporary effect on your brain chemistry.

I'm not sure about the rest.

gerhard

HSC
if you seriously believe this shit, you deserve to part with your money

HotShot

-_-
HSC
gerhard said:
if you seriously believe this shit, you deserve to part with your money
its not whether u believe it works or not! it actually works. It is dilution to the point it doesnt exist- the notion sounds stupid, u might as well not dilute and not put the chemical in at all.

Many i mean millions of people take homeopathy medication, and many have found results, regardless of whether it because of a 'suggestion' it works.

Even normal medication, such as a antibotics can be negated, through control of the mind. I know people who have flu one day and the next the day its all gone, without taking any form of medication.

when it comes medicine, it varies from person to person, and thus it maybe effective on one dude and ineffective on a another. anti-botics on some people have no effect does this mean it is a hoax? whilst others it has rapid effect.

The reason homepathy is preferred i believe is because its safe (lol cause of the dilution).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)