cholinergic agonists? (1 Viewer)

hungry

HSC
For my case study I need to answer: "3. Why are anticholinergic agents avoided and cholinergic agonists recommended in the treatment of gastro-oesophageal reflux?"

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what anticholinergic agents, cholinergic agonists and also the seemingly related acetycholines are. From researching, I've kind of gathered that anticholinergic agents negatively effect the lower esophageal sphincter muscles, I think because of the way it effects the parasympathetic nerve system --> inhibits smooth muscle cell contraction --> less pressure at the sphincter, thus aggravating reflux. (I think.)

As for cholinergic agonists, I think they do the opposite somehow. But I don't know what it means by "Agonist" and really I'm just not entirely sure. I've read some confusing information (some says it mimics acetylcholine, other info says it stimulates acetylcholine).

So does anyone know about this and can explain it in really simple terms? It's all new to me (it's a case study, so it's not something we have looked at in lectures or anything before).

Thanks!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
You're probably correct. An agonist is something (neurotransmitter in this case) that binds to a recpetor, so a cholinergic agonist would bind to a cholinergic receptor. I.e. it probably means acetylcholine.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Though I'm not sure how much acetylcholine plays a role in smooth muscle contraction. I know it plays a major role in skeletal muscle contraction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)