Choosing a piece for Music 2 (Music in the last 25 years) (1 Viewer)

iamastar

HSC
Does it have to be Australian-based? If so, can someone give me a list of some pieces to choose from? I finished Grade 8 piano this year, and am now doing Cmus. I don't know many Australian pieces, besides Frangipani by Ross Edwards.

Also, the Additional Topic (for performance) doesn't have to be Australian, does it?

Thankyou. :)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
It does not have to be Australian, just written in the last 25 years.

Australian refers to the "Australian Focus" of the course, meaning you should learning Australian pieces in class for the essay part of your exams.

This information is available somewhere in an FAQ they have on the BoS website.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Yeah has to be Australian.

There are a lot of pieces by composers like Carl Vine out there but liking and enjoying playing them will depend strongly on your music preference.
E.g. My teacher recommended Carl Vine Sonata No. 2 (there are recordings on YouTube). I saw it and it had heaps of accidentals (which I like as modulations in Chopin, Liszt, Tchaikovsky - romantic composers) but this imo is really something else. I don't like it at all, which if you feel the same way you can probably see why (no logical patterns, dissonance, not nice melodic material and no clear distinction between musical roles - again this is all opinionative). If you're into this stuff, I know quite a few pieces you might want to play but I'll move on, you can PM me for more suggestions like these.

There are two main pieces/composer I highly recommend (which are very popular choices):

1. Theme and 12 Deviations - Sonny Chua
Great piece due to its contrast in styles and you can pick which ones you like the best for your performance (to adhere to the 5 min limit of HSC performance)
2. Elena Kats Chenin (Rags)
Particularly, Russian Rag, she has really good rags that fit for HSC criteria.

These are popular choices but imo sound amazing. Check them out and let me know what you think :)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Yeah has to be Australian.

There are a lot of pieces by composers like Carl Vine out there but liking and enjoying playing them will depend strongly on your music preference.
E.g. My teacher recommended Carl Vine Sonata No. 2 (there are recordings on YouTube). I saw it and it had heaps of accidentals (which I like as modulations in Chopin, Liszt, Tchaikovsky - romantic composers) but this imo is really something else. I don't like it at all, which if you feel the same way you can probably see why (no logical patterns, dissonance, not nice melodic material and no clear distinction between musical roles - again this is all opinionative). If you're into this stuff, I know quite a few pieces you might want to play but I'll move on, you can PM me for more suggestions like these.

There are two main pieces/composer I highly recommend (which are very popular choices):

1. Theme and 12 Deviations - Sonny Chua
Great piece due to its contrast in styles and you can pick which ones you like the best for your performance (to adhere to the 5 min limit of HSC performance)
2. Elena Kats Chenin (Rags)
Particularly, Russian Rag, she has really good rags that fit for HSC criteria.

These are popular choices but imo sound amazing. Check them out and let me know what you think :)
This is incorrect.

"MANDATORY TOPIC HSC: Music in the last 25 years (Australian focus). The topic requires the study of repertoire that has been originally composed in the last 25 years. The original composition date also applies to arrangements. The topic provides the opportunity to investigate what else is happening in the world of music at the time including the different cultural contexts which influence contemporary music. The work does not have to be written by an Australian composer as the Australian focus refers to the study of the topic as a whole. When the repertoire chosen has not been written by an Australian composer the link to an Australian focus should be clear."

(emphasis my own) [source]

The 'link' is literally whatever, they don't ask or mark on it. If your piece is anything in the last 25 years, chances are it's got something contemporary in it, that's enough of a link.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
This is incorrect.

"MANDATORY TOPIC HSC: Music in the last 25 years (Australian focus). The topic requires the study of repertoire that has been originally composed in the last 25 years. The original composition date also applies to arrangements. The topic provides the opportunity to investigate what else is happening in the world of music at the time including the different cultural contexts which influence contemporary music. The work does not have to be written by an Australian composer as the Australian focus refers to the study of the topic as a whole. When the repertoire chosen has not been written by an Australian composer the link to an Australian focus should be clear."

(emphasis my own) [source]

The 'link' is literally whatever, they don't ask or mark on it. If your piece is anything in the last 25 years, chances are it's got something contemporary in it, that's enough of a link.
Oh right sorry, didn't see your first reply. Was going based off what my teachers told me... I guess my answer would be the same without the first sentence then.

HSC
Is the Year 11 format of performance the same as Year 12? (4 choices of performance, viva voce or composition) Also, who would be marking it - professional HSC music markers or our teachers?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Is the Year 11 format of performance the same as Year 12? (4 choices of performance, viva voce or composition) Also, who would be marking it - professional HSC music markers or our teachers?
The year 11 format is slightly different in each school, though generally the school will try to make it as similar to the year 12 format.

In year 12, your pieces are marked internally (by your teacher) as you work on them, and then "externally" (by professional markers) for the HSC exams. Compositions are similarly marked for progress in school, and then sent to the Board of Studies for external marking. I assume that essays would be the same, however there are no compulsory essays in year 12.

The requirements are:

1 Core Performance ("Music of the Last 25 Years")
1 Core Composition ("Music of the Last 25 Years")

1 choice of performance, composition or essay (Your elective topic which you choose from a given list - I choose "Medieval Music" for example.)

This applies to Music 2 - I'm not sure about the course structure for Music 1

HSC
The year 11 format is slightly different in each school, though generally the school will try to make it as similar to the year 12 format.

In year 12, your pieces are marked internally (by your teacher) as you work on them, and then "externally" (by professional markers) for the HSC exams. Compositions are similarly marked for progress in school, and then sent to the Board of Studies for external marking. I assume that essays would be the same, however there are no compulsory essays in year 12.

The requirements are:

1 Core Performance ("Music of the Last 25 Years")
1 Core Composition ("Music of the Last 25 Years")

1 choice of performance, composition or essay (Your elective topic which you choose from a given list - I choose "Medieval Music" for example.)

This applies to Music 2 - I'm not sure about the course structure for Music 1
Awh, shucks. Composition is my weakest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)