Choosing electives (1 Viewer)

Lou283

HSC
I have to choose electives for my 2 sem.

This will be my first year at uni and I just wondered how others choose their electives.

If I have covered all the pre reqs and so I can choose anything I want.

Do people normally just choose other units for their faculty or do you take a stab and choose an elective from another faculty that sounds interesting.

Thanks!

spence

HSC
I'd reccomend just doing something that sounds interesting, its a nice break from core subjects

Andi0390

HSC
Depends what you are doing. I've heard of a lot of people choosing electives that they are interested in, and end up liking so much that they change their degree to pursue them.

If I were you I'd pick something you were always interested in, or something that sounds appealing for you. Not only will you hopefully enjoy it, but it may also open new opportunities for your future.

Jack Holt

HSC
Hi, I have a question for you guys, can I choose my Elective to be from another faculty instead of my own? I mean, I'm taking up the Intl Studies program, can I pick Introduction to Astronomy as my elective? Thank you very much, I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread but I thought it would be foolish to start a new thread only asking this question, and hopefully my question is relative to this.

Thank you very much for any response you guys may give :)

dawdlex3

HSC
Hi, I have a question for you guys, can I choose my Elective to be from another faculty instead of my own? I mean, I'm taking up the Intl Studies program, can I pick Introduction to Astronomy as my elective? Thank you very much, I'm sorry to have hijacked your thread but I thought it would be foolish to start a new thread only asking this question, and hopefully my question is relative to this.

Thank you very much for any response you guys may give :)
Look at your program guide. If it does not say anything only able to choose electives within your own faculty, then usually you are able to pick a course outside your faculty. However, I would recommend asking your program coordinator or any relevant faculty staff (like a student advisor) about this before enrolling, just to be sure.

Lou283

HSC
You didn't hijack it's more or less what I was asking. Some units I am interested in but not enough to do a full degree on it but interested enough to want to do it for some of my electives.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
1. check your course and make sure you can do courses from other faculties.
i.e. Bachelor of Science - you may be required to do a minimum number of science courses
2. Check the majors you're intending on doing and make sure you've written down all the courses you need to do.
i.e. Introduction courses
3. Check to make sure you can do all the courses you want in 2nd year, and make sure they dont have first year prequisites you havent done.
4. Choose courses that you're interested in/ or if the shit hit the fan and you hate your degree, you could easily transfer across without too many issues

audioxdoll

HSC
so to clarify something...
if i choose all my necessary units for first year in the first semester i am free to pick whatever i want in the second semester?

and am i only able to choose 100 level or first year subjects?
:)

LordPc

HSC
so to clarify something...
if i choose all my necessary units for first year in the first semester i am free to pick whatever i want in the second semester?
theoretically yes but unlikely. usually you will have to do a 2 part course in 1st year, 1 in each semester. eg computing, math, physics, psychology all have 1 core course run in each semester.

and am i only able to choose 100 level or first year subjects?
:)
no, as long as you meet the pre reqs you can choose the course. for example, 2nd year philosophy courses have no pre reqs (i think phil2002 is the course code for one example)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)