Choosing first year courses (1 Viewer)

NewiJapper

HSC
Hey I'm having trouble in choosing my first year courses. I have to do two law subjects a semester, leaving two spots for science related subjects. But within this mix, I have to do a math (MATH1110) and a statistics (STAT1070) which are compulsory to complete in the science degree at Newcastle. NOW, I only have 1 free course a semester (or two free courses in semester 2 if I do math and stat in semester 1). I'd like to major in biology or chemistry but I'm not entirely sure on which one to do, hence my predicament in trying to find the right course to do.

Should I do;-
A - A Biology subject (more likely Biology1001 - Molecules, cells and organisms but I think I would already know all this?)
B- Intro to chemistry II (in semester two because i already basically know part I)
C - Professional skills in Biological Practice (Lab work and stuff required for a person choosing to major in bio. Also only in semester two)

Thanks guys :/

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Is there a harder bio subject that you could do in first sem? Maybe you should do that, or maybe in second sem, with the C option in first sem.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
wow this really doesn't wonna work for you... maybe just do the bio1001 in first sem and the chem one in second. Will that allow you to do either major, or do you have to do the professional practice subject to do a bio major?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Remember that you have five years to complete your degree, so you can do more first year courses next year.

Do you have to do MATH and STAT in first year, or do you just need to make sure you've done them by the end of your degree? If the latter, could you take one of them next year?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
either do easy subjects or ones you will enjoy. take me for instance, in school i did MX1 but i chose 4 fundamental math subjects (12cp compulsory maths for degree), didnt turn up to lectures and hardly any tutes, and got credits and distinctions.

and yeah if ur doing a double degree u will do more first year courses next year. like this sem, im only doing one 2nd year subject lol.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Do chem, it is needed for a chem major and bio major and agreeing with above, don't do higher courses if it isn't required.

NewiJapper

HSC
I'll ask whether STAT1070 has to only be completed for the degree, because, I would love to by-pass it and not do it in first year at newcastle. Therefore, I won't really have to worry about doing it when I transfer. But only unless other universities don't do it :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)