Chronicles of Narnia (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I read all of these books when I was a kid, did anyone else love them? The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe was my favourite in the series, I hope the movie doesn't massacre the books.

Except I only just found out they apparently have Christian overtones... I never knew because I have never read the bible lol.

nwatts

HSC
I just recently read the first two Narnia books, on the third now. I'm not a fan, at all. Even for kids' books they read as unremarkably simple and dull fantasy texts. Lewis has a fine imagination, but I can't appreciate his skills as a fantasy writer. His other work, including The Screwtape Letters, is just outstanding. This, unfortunately, doesn't do it for me.

And I can't believe you didn't know they had such Christian allegorical overtones! They're so... tactless. I read The Magician's Nephew thinking that Lewis should have just written a forward to Genesis instead of writing a silly kids book all about it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I read them when I was nine.... haven't read them since so can't really comment on the writing style, I just knew I enjoyed the story.

As a kid I really enjoyed them, and since I had never read the bible and was bought up in a relatively secular household I never knew they were religious! I hadn't thought about them for ages but with all the hoopla at the moment about the movie it reminded me of when I read the whole series when I was a kid.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i realy like them... my mum bought me a box set of videos of The Lion, the witch and the Wardrobe; Prince Caspian; Voyage of the Dawntreader and The Silver Chair. i love them all. i dont really like Eustace as much but oh well.

HSC
Hardly anyone noticed the christian overtones until they are told about them - my mum didn't when she first read then in her mid-late 30s, and she goes to church every sunday.

I definetly didn't notice it when I read it at age 8 - and I had gone to church every sunday as well.

I enjoyed the story - but then I can read a story where nothing particular happens - just following what the characters do

jennylim

HSC
personally i LOVE lewis's style!! he's so amazingly...understated. particularly when dealing with things like battles. i really liked the books, expecially 'the lion, the witch and the wardrobe' and 'the silver chair'...when i was little, i wished that narnia was a real place.

as for tactless allegories, i think pullman actually takes the cake. that might just be me, though.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
I loved the books. I found a lot of The Last Battle a little boring, but they were all great.

nwatts said:
And I can't believe you didn't know they had such Christian allegorical overtones!
Remarkably easy to do. Particularly if you're not Christian, have never read the bible and have never been to church...

dead cactus

captain tightpants
HSC
i have just read the magician's nephew, lion..., horse and his boy, and caspian, and i find the biblical links to be rather.... obvious!! I know nothing of the bible other than what has been absorbed through ozmosis, i grew up in a secular house and was never told of any religious links within the series. But the magician's nephew smacked of the story of creation, aslan as god, the garden with the forbidden fruit... i would've thought the parallels were quite apparent! but i can understand how it might not be, i know very little of the theology of other religions.

That aside, I'm quite enjoying the books, they're short and to the point, but I wouldn't say they're setting my world on fire - the horse and his boy was a bit - how should i put it? - "eh". But the one's that focus on the 4 kids are great so far!!

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Read em a bagazillion times.
Great every time.

As people have said never saw the Christian "undertones" as i was never religiously educated until high school (at which point I had already decided in my beliefs)

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
<3 these books!!!
definately my favourite~ after the bible :p... and on that topic, i certainly see the parallels to the Bible... and what Jesus did for us etc... and that makes them even more enjoyable for me to read... but im not sure i would see it if a i wasnt a christian?

P

pLuvia

lol, I only read the lion, witch and the wardrobe, which was alright. But that was like in primary school, where we also watched the film lol

Rinni

HSC
I love these books!!!!
I never really paid attention to the religious links until the Dawntreader (?) when they became really apparent. Then I sat there and went "oh right, I get it know!!" lol

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
i absolutely loved them . i had the box set, had the tapes and all, it was something i could virtually recite like we do songs now... then years later the inevitable happened. a teacher and i were talking and she said ' yeh the biblical thing kinda ruined it for me '
it clicked.
i was shattered.

i dont come from a religious background but i knew enuf about it. i just didnt pick it up. and now i see how ppl thik its obvious - i do. its sorta lost its appeal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)