Circle Geometry: Shortest Chord (1 Viewer)

Lukybear

HSC
AB, CD and XY are chords in a circle with centre O. XY cuts AB and CD in L and M, which are the midpoints of AB and CD. Prove that XY is greater than either AB or CD.

I hav no idea how to approach this problem

Rezen

HSC
Interesting question

construction: let the midpoint of XY by P. let the radius be x units long.

Proof: To prove XY>AB and CD is the same as proving OP < OM and OL. as lines from origin to midpoints of chords are perpendicular to the chord and the closer the chord is to the origin the bigger it is.

now, XM.MY=AM.MB (intercepts on intersecting chords)
but M is midpoint of AB. therefore XM.MY=AM^2 .....(1)

similarly for other chord, XL.LY=CL^2 ....(2)

In triangle AMO, angleAMO=90 (midpoint perp to origin)

therefore, AM^2+OM^2=x^2 (pythagoras, radius is x units long)

and OM=sqrt(x^2-AM^2)=sqrt(x^2-XM.YM), from (1)

similarly for triangle OCL and from (2)
OL=sqrt(x^2-XL.LY)

similarly for triangle XOP,
OP=sqrt(x^2-XP^2)

we want to prove OP < OM and OL

from these equations we need to show that x^2-XP^2< x^2-XM.MY and x^2-XL.LY

or that XP^2>XM.MY and XL.LY

ie, that the product of two intersections of a segment is greatest when the intersection is taken from the midpoint. (not sure how to word it here, but hopefully its understandable what i mean.)

proof of this: let the line segment be E units long. take one section as y units, then the other will be (E-Y). let the product be F. therefore F=y(E-y)=Ey-y^2.
differentiating, F'=E-2y. F'=0 when y=E/2. ie product of the two sections is greatest when they are halved.

applying this to circle question, therefore XP^2 > XL.LY and XM.MY, which implies OP < OM and OL

and therefore XY > AB and CD

i know this is a pretty dodgey proof but i dont really want to spend too much time writing this. Also if anyone can think of a shorter proof, let me know.

Last edited:

angrygeorge

HSC
have you tried the triangle theorm (sum of 2 sides greater than third side?)

random-1006

Banned
HSC

actually say it it rather some writting some bullshit expression no one will understand. ( they probably will, but will take them a while)

"The sum of two sides of a triangle must be shorter than ( or equal) the length of the other side"

shaon0

HSC
actually say it it rather some writting some bullshit expression no one will understand. ( they probably will, but will take them a while)

"The sum of two sides of a triangle must be shorter than ( or equal) the length of the other side"
It was already stated above dumbshit, why would i restate it.

Yes, it's in Cambridge under harder 3u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)