Closing small schools? (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
On the news yeserday there was a suggestion, and I am not entirely clear who initiated it, but I think it was the head of the secondary principals council or Andrew Stoner (or are they one in the same). Anyway, the proposal was to close certain small schools (possibly upto a hundred of them). A small school was classified as having less than four hundred students. I don't know whether the idea was aimed at secondary or primary schools (or both -which is more likely) but the report involved footage of various primary schools. Thankfully Carmel Tebbutt has said that this is not going to happen.

Anyway, what are your views on this? Should they close small schools? Are they financially unsustainable? What oft he needs of the community they service etc?

As for my own views; I went to a primary school that managed to hit the hundred mark while I was there. ( As a side noteBeing the bunglers the Education Department is they gave us a classroom and then took it away a year later when the school's population dropped by three. And then it was returned a few years later when the school grew larger (by about six kids)). My high school was also small.
Personally I think the idea of closing schools is ludicrous. Often their is no other viable alternative. I travelled for near an hour to go to high school (sometimes over an hour) and half my mates lived further away then me. (that's an hour each way). There was no high school closer really. But, I can't even imagine how I would have managed that if I had been forced to do it in primary school. I don't think primary kids could survive an hour or more going to school and then doing the reverse.
And, personally, I can't see the benefits of large schools. At least I knew everyone in my year and nearly everyone in the whole school.

Edit: Sorry about the ranting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)