Clubs and Social Life in UWS? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan A

HSC
For all the law students out there... the UWS Law Students' Association is one of the largest and most active organisations in the university, managing one of the largest budgets, projects and has many stakeholders.

It works with national bodies, law firms and the School of Law in delivering students with extra oppurtunities be it social and/or education.

Some big events happening in the near future: www.uwslsa.com

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
maybe a giant board game club? you could extend beyond board games if you wanted...
(yes i have been watching the chaser)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
(enigma) said:
maybe a giant board game club? you could extend beyond board games if you wanted...
Well parra does have the gigantic chess board with pieces...so it'll work

g_dob

HSC
where and when is the chess club at para or bankstown?

HSC
N/A
(enigma) said:
Well we have the big chessboard already

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
UWS-Uni-Student said:
How about an Advanced Leaders Society (or something similar)
elaborate?

All i know is UWS needs some clubs....and I want to be a part of one where I can actually do something. I'm part of the UWSLSA but yeah...its like being a part of nothing so far (missed out on the roxy party=( )

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
UWS-Uni-Student said:
Its a name that sounds presitigous
haha fair enough...it'll look good on a resume.

President of Advanced Leader Society ahaha

UzurOger

Almost Sexy Bastard
HSC
Hell ill join whatever you'll make...theres shit all to do, and why isnt there an actual bar at the Parra campus, what if we wanna show up to a lecture pissed? we gotta travel to parra?! bastards

HSC
N/A
UzurOger said:
Hell ill join whatever you'll make...theres shit all to do, and why isnt there an actual bar at the Parra campus, what if we wanna show up to a lecture pissed? we gotta travel to parra?! bastards
There is a bar, altough I have never seen it serve alcohol, although I dont go to the bar much

Jonathan A

HSC
ari89 said:
elaborate?

All i know is UWS needs some clubs....and I want to be a part of one where I can actually do something. I'm part of the UWSLSA but yeah...its like being a part of nothing so far (missed out on the roxy party=( )

I can guarantee you that UWSLSA has more prestige than any club or society at the University. We work full time on proects!

You miss out on the party - not our fault. If you fail to show up at court for your client that's your problem, not the court's.

Essentially, the way we operate is this: we put the info out there in easy reach. Students constantly complain nothing is being done - BUT many of them don't do anything. It's quite simple really, lack of initiative will lead to a much harder time in the future looking for a job in a very competative legal profession. As you are young, the time is NOW to start building up your contacts and experience.

To be a lawyer, you need to read. That goes hand in hand with reading our accessible website :)

Jonathan A

HSC
Depends what you want from your society.

WIthout in any way shape nor form lowering the status of Golden Key as I am a member and one of their scholarship recipients and furthermore a friend of their president, Golden Key focus on different areas and there has even been suggestion, mere membership would not cut it for students going into law firms.

UWSLSA is part of the prestige because it is career, education and social focused. Law firms invest in the Association so as we can provide good candidates. Students who don't wish to be part of the loop, shouldn't turn around and criticise the profession or the UWSLSA when they have no one else but themselves to blame. Problem is, some students engage in that behaviour.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
I can guarantee you that UWSLSA has more prestige than any club or society at the University. We work full time on proects!

You miss out on the party - not our fault. If you fail to show up at court for your client that's your problem, not the court's.

Essentially, the way we operate is this: we put the info out there in easy reach. Students constantly complain nothing is being done - BUT many of them don't do anything. It's quite simple really, lack of initiative will lead to a much harder time in the future looking for a job in a very competative legal profession. As you are young, the time is NOW to start building up your contacts and experience.

To be a lawyer, you need to read. That goes hand in hand with reading our accessible website :)
No need to get all defensive, Jonathan. It seems to be the only thing you do in this forum and it reflects badly on yourself, especially when it was uncalled for and not even in retaliation to any sort of attack. I missed out on the Roxy party because of far more important engagements, and yes I was looking forward to going and I was annoyed at the idea that I could not attend. I have looked at tha ALSA conference but it is not an economic option for me to attend, I have researched the legal skills series but found a lack of information on eligibility for it or the possible costs but failed to corresspond with the law society as I was busy taking the initiative to maintain HD results in most of my subjects. But as you stated, law society meetings are exactly like court meetings on behalf of a client. Who could have thought of a better analogy. Everytime the law society holds an event I'll stop what I'm doing, forget about my assignments and go for it.

I appreciate the advise and the accompanying tone of pure compassion, void of all rebuttal or sarcasm. But please, take the initiative to interpret what is being said, and then respond appropriately. I belive you when you say the profession is competitve and we need to take all steps to expand our contact base but as mentioned, circumstances beyong my control resulted in me not attending. I did not blame you or any other representative of the LSA.

I maintain my statement that it is like being a part of nothing. Why is this? Because it is how it is. Congratulations on working full time on projects and I am eager to see the fruits of your hard labour. I don't claim to have any answers but if the LSA want a first year students perspective or simply any help on the Parramatta campus feel free to contact me.

At the next social event I will make an effort to contact you. (Btw, are there any before the Inter Alios next semester?)

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
Re: What happend to the swamp bar?

isnt that what the mid year break is for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)