Com@SydU v AFinance+ComAcct@MacU (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm...quality of teaching? although thats relative
maybe graduate outcomes (ie starting salary etc)

hk31

HSC
I would choose Comm@ USYD...simply because it takes 3 years @ USyd and 4 years at MQ...you can complete a double major in Finance and Accounting by doing a Bachelor of Commerce at USYD...which is more or less the same as a double degree @ MQ (applied finance and comm-accounting)

schmeichung

HSC
so which one is better in terms of quality of teaching? or in depends of reputation?
which uni has better reputation in commerce?
I heard is MacU but UAI getting in MacU is much lower

Minai said:
hmm...quality of teaching? although thats relative
maybe graduate outcomes (ie starting salary etc)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
you have to ask around
apparently, the quality of the commerce program at USyd is pretty bad (im going on friends' judgements here, not a majority), but it has an unbeatable reputation - so the decision is hard, I always tell people to go to the uni they feel most comfortable at (after going to the various open days etc)

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
schmeichung said:
so which one is better in terms of quality of teaching? or in depends of reputation?
which uni has better reputation in commerce?
I heard is MacU but UAI getting in MacU is much lower
Umm, it's debatable which uni has the better quality of teaching.
Reputation wise, Sydney has a very strong reputation, but Macquarie also has a strong reputation for their economics related degrees.

MacU's commerce programs are generally about 4-5 UAI points lower (depending on which commerce program you choose at MacU) than Usyd's commerce course.

But yeh, do a bit of further research and look into the course structures and see which degree offers you the most flexibility/choice for majors etc.

schmeichung

HSC
I really have no real preferences for these 2..I am just worrying if I get UAI just slightly lower than Com@UNSW cutoff which means I can choose either SydU or MacU..
My feeling is SydU is better since the cutoff is much higher..

Minai said:
you have to ask around
apparently, the quality of the commerce program at USyd is pretty bad (im going on friends' judgements here, not a majority), but it has an unbeatable reputation - so the decision is hard, I always tell people to go to the uni they feel most comfortable at (after going to the various open days etc)

hk31

HSC
schmeichung said:
I really have no real preferences for these 2..I am just worrying if I get UAI just slightly lower than Com@UNSW cutoff which means I can choose either SydU or MacU..
My feeling is SydU is better since the cutoff is much higher..
keep in mind its only higher cos more people want to get into the course....and its probably because of USyd's reputation more than anything else...

and no one goes into uni knowing what the quality of teaching is anyway...

but if i were u..i'll go with USyd too! :)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
some lecturer guy from uni .. said the uai is only lower because we offer a lot more places for commerce/economic type degrees.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
the Macquarie cutoffs are closing in on USyd/UNSW though, well its closer than its ever been now

anyway, yeah don't pick USyd assuming its course is better than Macq because its UAI cutoff is higher, as someone said, its all about prestige

aditya

HSC
i hope you rwrong minai ;) leave mac ther at 90.05 lol

nah but, check out the good university guides, all of the reputable unis have like poor teaching quality, i think newcastle was the best.... i mean this is ur career, really you should take contorl of it, teachers are they're fo support u really dont need to be spoon fed everything anyway.... it helps to increase you rresourcefulness..

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
anyway, yeah don't pick USyd assuming its course is better than Macq because its UAI cutoff is higher, as someone said, its all about prestige
And don't pick unsw commerce over usyd because the uai cutoff is higher...
(awaits minai's best in asia pacific line)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Suvat said:
And don't pick unsw commerce over usyd because the uai cutoff is higher...
(awaits minai's best in asia pacific line)
exactly, don't come cause the cutoff is higher (thats how the UNSW cutoffs skyrocket every year) - go to the uni you feel most comfortable at

explorer

i swear u wont regret if u go to MacqU cos the quality of teaching(commerce) is pretty good here.
the uai in Macq is lower cos it offers much more places than Usyd and UNSW for new students.

schmeichung

HSC
okay thanks all I will think about it
hopefully I can get into UNSW then i dont have to worry about anything
if not, macq is pretty good choice for me though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)