Combine law or masters degree? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys

Im currently studying Int Studies at MQ and just about to finnish my first year. I know its a bit early to consider these options but I was wondering what others might think. I hope to obtain a career with the government in diplomacy, mainly based on defence policy or something of that sort. Thus, should i combine law to my international degree (5 years not including this one) or should i undertake a masters degree, most likely Masters of International security (which would be 4 years including my undergrad degree). I could do both law and my masters but i just think that is way too long. what do you guys think

GPA: 3.2

X

xeuyrawp

Hey guys

Im currently studying Int Studies at MQ and just about to finnish my first year. I know its a bit early to consider these options but I was wondering what others might think. I hope to obtain a career with the government in diplomacy, mainly based on defence policy or something of that sort. Thus, should i combine law to my international degree (5 years not including this one) or should i undertake a masters degree, most likely Masters of International security (which would be 4 years including my undergrad degree). I could do both law and my masters but i just think that is way too long. what do you guys think

GPA: 3.2
Hey man,

If you're remotely interested in doing law, I would vehemently suggest not combining it at Macquarie, but doing it as graduate law at either UNSW or USyd.

As for your international studies ideas, remember that a lot of people want to get into diplomacy, defence, etc, without really knowing much about it. As you said, you've got a lot of time to decide, but definitely inform yourself as much as possible with trying to get work experience in your area of interest.

You're looking to get into a competitive field, so try to get your GPA higher, get as much experience as possible, and try to add value to yourself. Which language are you doing?

HSC
Yeh im leaning more towards the master degree as it seems to be more focused on Security matters. GPA should not be to hard to raise, i just has a few hiccups in first semester, the language im doing is Spanish, mainly because I am guessing that affairs in Latin America may become prominent in the near future. I also speak Greek along with english (Obviously).

X

xeuyrawp

Yeh im leaning more towards the master degree as it seems to be more focused on Security matters.
Have you considered overseas study?
the language im doing is Spanish, mainly because I am guessing that affairs in Latin America may become prominent in the near future.
Hmm, well I've always been of the belief that "I do x language for y reason" is always a bad idea simply because like any generic skill, you don't know how it can and cannot help you.

I also speak Greek along with english (Obviously).
Ah that's awesome. If you're a native speaker of another language, you've already got a leg-up above other Aussies. Have you considered learning something like Macedonian or Croatian?

Peartie

HSC
Have you considered overseas study?
He has to do overseas study for the degree :p

Hmm, well I've always been of the belief that "I do x language for y reason" is always a bad idea simply because like any generic skill, you don't know how it can and cannot help you.
agree here - doing something just because it *might* help is not always the best option, that being said if you do enjoy it thats good - and Spanish is one of the most spoken languages in the world so that is good as well.

As has been said - diplomacy is a competititve area - basically anyone doing INTS (such as myself) aim for something of that sort, or at least the public service.

If you are interested in doing defence policy a couple of other things you may like to look into are masters or hons in politics - where you can then do a thesis on defence policy.

If I were you and really wanted to get a leg up in this way I would possibly do Hons in politics, with a thesis on Australian Defence policy or something similar followed by The MPICT/MISS

yes it is an extra two years, but it means that you get more in-depth knowledge of the study area...as I beleive the MISS is by coursework, with the option of 8 cps of a research project?

Also this way it gives you a chance to really think if you want to do the masters, after studying defence policy in depth for an hons thesis.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
If you are able to get into a law degree at USyd or UNSW instead of choosing law at Mq, it may be beneficial towards finding a job later on, the reputation of the law degrees are not equal *hint hint*

thithle

HSC
ummmm so why is law at macquarie bad, let alone a combined law degree at macquarie being worse??? obviously sydney uni is more prestigious, higher mark required for the course, etc.... but unsw?

~worrieddd~

thithle

HSC
surely an employer is going to consider your skills and abilities as a prospective employee more significantly than the university you graduated from

ameher

HSC
ummmm so why is law at macquarie bad, let alone a combined law degree at macquarie being worse??? obviously sydney uni is more prestigious, higher mark required for the course, etc.... but unsw?

~worrieddd~
I see where PwarYuex is coming from, the macquarie law school is undergoing alot of infighting atm, and the overall quality is declining. I guess it depends what you want to, if you want to practice law as your main focus for your career then yer usyd and unsw are better, but if you are using law as a complement to your other degree and are happy @ mq, like myself then id stay.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
surely an employer is going to consider your skills and abilities as a prospective employee more significantly than the university you graduated from
Well, the diplomatic answer given to you by recruitment officers would likely be along the lines that they are looking for a well-rounded person who is competent and capable of fitting into their firm, and that the university you graduated from is not a determining factor whatsoever. But then again,... what you believe is up to you.

I see where PwarYuex is coming from, the macquarie law school is undergoing alot of infighting atm, and the overall quality is declining. I guess it depends what you want to, if you want to practice law as your main focus for your career then yer usyd and unsw are better, but if you are using law as a complement to your other degree and are happy @ mq, like myself then id stay.
+1 (also consider, the staff list and the elective units on offer at the university - it will be a factor in how much choice and enjoyability/satisfaction you get from your law degree)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)