combined degrees... (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i want to do both psychology and law, however, if i do both, does that mean i have to combine them?

most of the combined degrees are psych/law, but they are majored from other faculties rather than from the psychology department. these are also 3 years which would not allow me to be recognised as a psychologist if i graduate. the psychology degree is a mandatory 4 years.

this last year from a arts or science majoring in science is years, but for me to get itno the honours year, i heard that it is almost impossible to get in. therefore i want to do psychology and law at the same time.

would i be able to do this?

ANU is the only uni that i ahve found that will allow me this option. what other uni allows it? or will let me do law and straight psychology at the same time, and if there isnt, how can i do this?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Did you say you can only do 3 years of psych? What about do the 3 years of psych, then doing an honours year of psych. If I'm not mistaken this satisfies the 4 year requirement.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
i want to do both psychology and law, however, if i do both, does that mean i have to combine them?

most of the combined degrees are psych/law, but they are majored from other faculties rather than from the psychology department. these are also 3 years which would not allow me to be recognised as a psychologist if i graduate. the psychology degree is a mandatory 4 years.

this last year from a arts or science majoring in science is years, but for me to get itno the honours year, i heard that it is almost impossible to get in. therefore i want to do psychology and law at the same time.

would i be able to do this?

ANU is the only uni that i ahve found that will allow me this option. what other uni allows it? or will let me do law and straight psychology at the same time, and if there isnt, how can i do this?
There is no "psychology department", afaik a B Psych is exactly the same as a B Sc (Psych)(Hons)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
wrong_turn said:
I don't think the honours year gives you instant recognition as a psychologist, it just gets you a step closer. I'm pretty sure that you need a certain amount of experience first or a masters before they will give you your accreditation.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
answering ytour question, no u don;t hav to combine them
u can do psycology and then grad law.

or u can do pscy law, just defer all your law subjects till u've graduated with your psych degree, then do the law. or take 1 or 2 law subjects in the easier semesters

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
If you do a full law degree and a full psych degree, HECS might not pay for it all. I believe HECS can only go for 7 years worth of degrees.

Anyway, you can do 3 years of psychology and then add on a n honours year to be accreditied, if you do the BSc(Psych) at the following universities: I just realised that the list contains pretty much every university in Australia. :)

You can also do the BSc and then a diploma, instead of an honours years. This will also gain you accreditation.

http://www.psychology.org.au/study/studying/11.1_4.asp#B

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
like i understand that you can the year degree but it does not lead you to becoming recognised as a psychologist or get yoou a step closer. you have to do 2 years practical aftre honours. but i heard that it is almost impossible to get into honours if you do the 3 year program and try to defer to the honours year.

but yeh, gordo kind of answered my question in a way. so i guess i can do a full psych and law degree at the same time then... i better clarify at the uni days. :D

edit: thanks slide rule! that helped heaps!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)