Comm/Eco VS. Comm/Media (PR + Advertising) (1 Viewer)

cssu0425

HSC
Considering if I get into Combined Commerce with Bonus + EAS, I'm in a pickle... I don't know which one to do -

A part of me wants to do Comm/Eco but then I have a huge interest in media, and I'm swaying towards Comm/PR.
However, I had a friend who studied Media (Journalism) at UNSW and recommended that I don't do Media there because it requires a lot of hardwork i.e placements, internships etc and that I'm better off going to UTS for a media degree.

I was thinking Comm/PR also because I'd feel like it'd be repetitive if I did economic theory etc in Commerce and it'd pop up again in Economics hence I want to get some variety...

Thoughts? Comm/Eco or Comm/PR?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
If you like comm i don't think UTS is even a consideration. From my knowledge UTS only offer communications with international studies and doing it with B business isn't an option.

In regards to which degree at UNSW, what are your strengths? Economics at uni is VERY maths focused and nothing like hsc economics, is your maths strong? If you prefer the humanities side i'd recommend PR over Eco as your 2nd degree. Worst case, you can transfer after one year if you find not the other degree not to your liking.

cssu0425

HSC
If you like comm i don't think UTS is even a consideration. From my knowledge UTS only offer communications with international studies and doing it with B business isn't an option.

In regards to which degree at UNSW, what are your strengths? Economics at uni is VERY maths focused and nothing like hsc economics, is your maths strong? If you prefer the humanities side i'd recommend PR over Eco as your 2nd degree. Worst case, you can transfer after one year if you find not the other degree not to your liking.
I did Maths General 2 in the HSC and I got an 87, not sure if that's considered strong :"\ Do you know the job prospect of being hired with a Media/PR degree in the long term?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I did Maths General 2 in the HSC and I got an 87, not sure if that's considered strong :"\ Do you know the job prospect of being hired with a Media/PR degree in the long term?
I did general as well and got well into the 90s but struggled with Statistics (ECON1203) which is the intro course for economics. I wouldn't recommend eco unless you did a lot of maths study in the holidays to catch up, at least to a 2u/3u level.

Not really, you'll need to do some research.

asi9

HSC
Do Com/Media. Hate to say this, but your quantitative skills are probably not strong enough to do well in an economics degree

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
OP I am doing a Comm/Media degree atm.
1. Econometrics is DIFFERENT from economics. Both requires a lot of calculation and problem solving skills.

2. 87 in Math General cannot be considered as 'strong'. 87 in 4U math, however, could be

3. I did 4U math and I struggled in ECON1203(an intro stats course). EVERYONE gets frustrated in that class regardless of his knowledge. Only solution is to go to PASS .

4. Only do Comm/Eco if you enjoy Eco and math. Be aware that the Media part in Comm/Media is PR&ADVERTISING. I personally favour journalism. I solve it by exchange to USA to do journalism courses.

Feel free to ask more questions.

asalvatore

HSC
Considering if I get into Combined Commerce with Bonus + EAS, I'm in a pickle... I don't know which one to do -

A part of me wants to do Comm/Eco but then I have a huge interest in media, and I'm swaying towards Comm/PR.
However, I had a friend who studied Media (Journalism) at UNSW and recommended that I don't do Media there because it requires a lot of hardwork i.e placements, internships etc and that I'm better off going to UTS for a media degree.

I was thinking Comm/PR also because I'd feel like it'd be repetitive if I did economic theory etc in Commerce and it'd pop up again in Economics hence I want to get some variety...

Thoughts? Comm/Eco or Comm/PR?
Well university does require hardwork and if you really want to do media, I'm sure you'll be able to keep up with all the work! With media, it's always good to take internships and gain a lot of experience alongside your degree so whether you go to unsw or uts, it doesn't totally matter. If you want to study commerce AND media, I would go to UNSW.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Well university does require hardwork and if you really want to do media, I'm sure you'll be able to keep up with all the work! With media, it's always good to take internships and gain a lot of experience alongside your degree so whether you go to unsw or uts, it doesn't totally matter. If you want to study commerce AND media, I would go to UNSW.
I thought they organise the intern and find host for u. It turns out that u have to do all that urself then 'apply' for it to be , at the same time, an intern. How ridiculous

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I thought they organise the intern and find host for u. It turns out that u have to do all that urself then 'apply' for it to be , at the same time, an intern. How ridiculous
I think the only programs that do that for you are co-op scholarships like those provided by UNSW Commerce and UTS BAcc

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the only programs that do that for you are co-op scholarships like those provided by UNSW Commerce and UTS BAcc
This is disapoointed. I would not waste my money on an intern course like this. Why would I pay for an intern I found by myself lol

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
This is disapoointed. I would not waste my money on an intern course like this. Why would I pay for an intern I found by myself lol
Haha doesn't it count towards credit points?

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe it sounds legit to locals. Imagine u spend four grams 'studying' a course like this

cssu0425

HSC
Sorry for the late reply, didn't realise ppl actually came in the new year to see this post. I've taken all your feedback into consideration! Most likely will do Comm/PR if I get in. :) Thank you!

cssu0425

HSC
Last minute question b4 offers come out, just realised i'm confused about EAS

so UNSW stacks max of 10 with EAS AND HSC PLUS, so it can't be like... 6 points for EAS and 2 points for HSC Plus right?
Cos that's a bummer :\\\\\ im losing hope

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)