Comm/Law + Language POSSIBLE?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, after studying chinese in high school for 5 long years, it would be a pity to be to give it up. So would it be possible to include a language as a co-major in my degree? I don't want to do a diploma, waste of 1 precious year!

http://www2.fce.unsw.edu.au/nps/servlet/portalservice?GI_ID=System.LoggedOutInheritableArea&maxWnd=_Future_UG_ModernLanguages

The link above says it will be a co-major in commerce, so would it be possible to slot it in my degree, seeing as the comm/law degree is so structured? Hope some of you guys can help! Thanks.:)

HSC
i already emailed them but more advice from bos members wouldn't do any harm.

seraphyte

HSC
I'm doing Com/Law as well and I *think* you can do a concurrent dip. languages...except you'll be forced to overload and take 5 subjects a semester, but I'm not sure - I haven't gotten around to ringing them up yet.

HSC
i'm already doing 15 hours! so another subject would mean so many hours...

HSC
i just checked.. it'll be an extra 4 hours/week to take up a language.. is it really worth it?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
15 hrs is really nothing when you think about it, so yes if i were you, ill overload and do chinese which equates to 19 hrs for 5 subjects
gosh out science/engineering people do like way more hrs than that

drmix

HSC
N/A
i dont no nethin abt dip languages but i no that u can do a co-major in a com/law degree

the link u have is for straight commerce students

yupkigirl__

HSC
Hey, how do we apply for a concurrent diploma in languages? I'm starting uni this year and I'm quite interested in studying French...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Uberlovesounds, you should PM Frigid about this issue as he's doing Chinese on the side as well.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i'm concurrently enrolled in both courses - B Commerce/LLB (4733) and Dip Languages (Chinese)http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2007/3417.html (3417). both are under CSP HECS.

To do so, you would need to go to the School of Languages for application form, seek written permission from the Law Faculty (I got Libby Couch to sign off), and enrol.

Ideally, it is possible to enrol from 1st semester, 1st year, but to have done so you must have put down an application in november. thus, i think, the earliest time you can enrol is for 2nd semester this year (deadline being roughly may). but speak to the School of Languages first.

as for workload, i take 1 languages subject per semester. it's not really an overload, because Faculty of Law doesn't count it as part of my BCom/LLB.

seraphyte

HSC
Frigid: How does enrolling for second semester work with some language subjects only being offered in first semester?

Would you just wait to enrol for second year? (Since it wouldn't really matter because com/laws is 5 years anyway...)

HSC
i'm doing comm/law fee, is it possible to do a language with csp?

Dip in languages has 6 units per session. So it would be $2160 per year. Times 3 for 3 years! Yikes! Is that full fee or hecs?

Btw frigid, did you go on the yunan university study trip?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i don't know what the exact admission criteria is, but i think they allow any UNSW students in.

how does it work with some courses in S1, some in S2? well, for chinese, each level has two parts, CHIN_006 and CHIN_007, each being offered per semester. you may be exempted from S1's course if your proficiency has already reached that level.

i didn't go to Yunan study trip. Law also has a Beijing winter school, but i heard it's crap. so yeah, prefer to save my money and go travelling (like i am now, just finished an internship in Hong Kong).

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
yeah, i still have to go into student centre to ask about this. i'm doing comm/eco and want to do a dip of languages in french but with three majors and ca subjects i think it's impossible with my units though

HSC
Huh? Double degree or double major? I am doing a double degree!

Anyhoo, the lady at unsw told me the language cannot be a co-major of commerce. So I would have to do what Frigid does, where the language doesn't "count" for my degrees.

HSC
My only concern now is, whether I have to pay a 'full-fee' for the language? Seeing that I am paying full-fee for my other degrees.

xxPanDa

HSC
Frigid said:
i'm concurrently enrolled in both courses - B Commerce/LLB (4733) and Dip Languages (Chinese) (3417). both are under CSP HECS.

To do so, you would need to go to the School of Languages for application form, seek written permission from the Law Faculty (I got Libby Couch to sign off), and enrol.

Ideally, it is possible to enrol from 1st semester, 1st year, but to have done so you must have put down an application in november. thus, i think, the earliest time you can enrol is for 2nd semester this year (deadline being roughly may). but speak to the School of Languages first.

as for workload, i take 1 languages subject per semester. it's not really an overload, because Faculty of Law doesn't count it as part of my BCom/LLB.
Frigid, how many hours of chinese do u have a week now? plus study time?

if its true.. 4hrs plus...id be overloaded...
doing architecture i already have 19rhs..
archi and chinese would = 23hr...........

Affinity

HSC
exchange to china..ofcourse it would be slightly embarrasing if you look asian :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)