Communication. d.p - electromagnetic radiation (1 Viewer)

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Hi fellow Biology people,

I know there has been at least one previous thread about the dot point, without much avail:

--> use available evidence to suggest reasons for the differences in range of electromagnetic radiation detected by humans and other animals

If anyone has any information on th dot point, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'm going to try the HSC Advice Line when it opens again for Biology.

Thanks,
- Anna :)

Leap

free falling
HSC
Hi Anna :)
This is what I have in my notes for that dot point:

Electromagnetic spectrum: The range of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation.
Humans can detect wavelengths between about 390 nanometres and 780 nanometres. The limited part of the spectrum which humans can detect is usually called visible light.
Unlike humans, some bird species are able to detect light well into the ultraviolet range of the spectrum.
Rattlesnakes have receptors in pits between each eye and nostril that detect infrared radiation. This helps them locate prey because animals radiate heat.
Not all animals can see different wavelengths, how they see depends on their photoreceptors, but most vertebrates have colour vision.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
what leap said...
as well as...

-penguins detect radiation in the ultraviolet range
-Many insects detect radiation further into the ultraviolet but less into the red than humans

Mazey

Hmmm so is the actual REASON for the differences depends on their photoreceptors?

arls

Originally posted by Mazey
Hmmm so is the actual REASON for the differences depends on their photoreceptors?
wouldnt the actual reason be because animals/humans have diff needs eg. rattle snake needs to be able to hunt prey therefore can see infra red? and bees need to collect hunny so they can see the ultra violet patterns on petels? Im not 100% but pretty sure this is correct.....

Originally posted by Leap
Hi Anna :)
This is what I have in my notes for that dot point:

Electromagnetic spectrum: The range of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation.
Humans can detect wavelengths between about 390 nanometres and 780 nanometres. The limited part of the spectrum which humans can detect is usually called visible light.
Unlike humans, some bird species are able to detect light well into the ultraviolet range of the spectrum.
Rattlesnakes have receptors in pits between each eye and nostril that detect infrared radiation. This helps them locate prey because animals radiate heat.
Not all animals can see different wavelengths, how they see depends on their photoreceptors, but most vertebrates have colour vision.

Mazey

I have no idea im confused by it all :(
It seems too simple to go, "snakes eat mice so they can see infra red!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)