Comparison of Public School Voluntary contributions (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
"Parents with children in NSW selective schools pay voluntary fees on average five times the amount of those with children in comprehensive public schools."

http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...lic-schools-20140119-312to.html#ixzz2quHeBiwQ

See where your school (old alumnus) stacks up in the infograph, and discuss what is mentioned in the article.

I didn't realise the recommended department rate was $95 for secondary, I think my school asked for $60 and most people didn't pay.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
$256 from Sydney Tech.

But that's nothing compared to Private School 'wanna be' Sydney Boys :haha:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
$256 from Sydney Tech.

But that's nothing compared to Private School 'wanna be' Sydney Boys :haha:
I suppose they need them contributions to play in those GPS sports.

My primary school was $21 and my high school was like $77. Many local primary schools were around $6 here though.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Wow Sydney Boys raking in the $$

My school pays a lot, on average as well. A lot of people dislike the amount of school fees we end up paying (sometimes it crosses over to 2k a year, including extra curricular)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Looking up a lot of selectives have about a 56-59% upper quartile student body which is not surprising given the fees contribution. And most only about 2-3% from lowest quartile.

enoilgam

HSC
Wow Sydney Boys raking in the $$

My school pays a lot, on average as well. A lot of people dislike the amount of school fees we end up paying (sometimes it crosses over to 2k a year, including extra curricular)
The contributions can balloon out heaps if you do a lot of ECs (my sister goes to a Performing Arts HS and the contribution is high).

To put it bluntly, another factor influencing this is the "care factor". Generally speaking, people who go to a selective HS are more motivated and interested in school life, hence explaining why the contributions are so much higher because people are more involved. Also, parents of children who get into selective schools are often more inclined to invest in their kids education. With a run of the mill public school, you have a lot of parents who either dont care, think they are entitled to free education or simply cannot afford a voluntary contribution. So I think that definitely factors into the equation to some extent.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
iirc the average household income of a selective school kid is higher (probs can find the statistic somewhere) so that could also be a factor

enoilgam

HSC
iirc the average household income of a selective school kid is higher (probs can find the statistic somewhere) so that could also be a factor
It would make sense, because you would have quite a few wealthier people who opt to send their kids to a selective school as opposed to private/semi-private.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)