Concert Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Meistro

HSC
N/A
Go ahead, be a musical critic. Write reviews about concerts you've been to here.

Was the experience really as good as you expected?
What was the playlist like?
The crowd demeanor?
The band/singers energy?
The venue?
etc etc etc

Would you go see said band/singer again, why? why not?

Give others some insight.

HSC
Death Cab For Cutie, Show 1 in Sydney @ Rebel Rebel (Home, Cockle Bay Wharf)

Yes

Excellent, Majority of songs were from plans, transatlanticism as well as 4 or 5 from the older albums

The crowd demeanor?
Not-so-popular indie band in an 18+ club meant more true and mature crowd.

The band/singers energy?
Good

The venue?
Fantastic venue, I wasn't fond of standing out on the rain waiting to get in, but everyone was so wet so it didn't really matter after a while. RebelRebel is like indie night @ home, i've been there a few times before and a few times since and it always great.

Meistro

HSC
N/A
Re: Official Concert Review Thread

Ok, Well the last concert i went to was The Sleepy Jackson with special guests The Panda Band at Wollongong Uni, 21/09/06 ( i think)

The Experience Simply Satisfying. It didnt deliver more than i expected nor did it dissapoint.

the playlist Since both of the bands really havent released that much the set list was pretty much what you would expect. The Sleepy Jackson played songs from their newer album almost exclusively.

the crowd... I think pretty much everyone in the crowd was in the same boat, they have heard the sleepy jackson a couple times on JJJ, decided going out with some friends to see them would be a nice way to mellow out before exams. You could tell there were no die hard fans. There was alot of simply standing around with arms crossed staring at the band going "right..amuse me". 90% of the crowd was seriously wooden, about 9% were dancing, free, loose, getting into it, and then ofcourse there was the spastic high knock people out in my drug induced frenzy dancer.

The Venue Small, intimate, low stage leant its self to a low key, relaxed kindof gig. Ive heard that the sleepy jackson can be totally psychadelic ga ga, but i think the limitations of the venue really mellowed them out. If youre up the back of the venue its really hard to see the band. But despite its size it was still quite roomy. Oh, and good job with the lighting. But the speakers were WAY too loud! It was freaking ridiculous. Its a small venue and the speakers blare right out into the audience. Seriously it was just stupid and uncalculated. Theres an optimal level, geezz my ears were wrecked for a good 2 days after this gig and its not even a blaringly loud band!

Bands Energy great :) You could really tell they were enjoying doing what they were doing. All 6 members of the Slespy Jackson work together beautifully on stage, they comminicate, its really fluid and really a joy to watch. The Panda Band were just so much fun, despite the unwillingness of the majority of the crowd to get into it.

Overall yes, i enjoyed it, in a word: mellow.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC

Who? Panic! at the Disco
Where? Horden Pavillion, Moore Park
When? 5th Oct, 7.30pm

To be honest, I'd watched some of their live sets on youtube and even though I love Panic!, I wasn't expecting anything that great so I was pleasantly, pleasantly surprised when they not only blew me away but made me want to see them 10 times over. And the lead singer is awfully attractive.

I'm pretty sure they performed every song off their album, plus they did two amazing overs. One was Radiohead's Karma Police and the other was the Smashing Pumpkin's Tonight, Tonight.

The crowd demeanor?
Underage and very teenyboppy. I felt very, very old.

The band/singers energy?
They loved it! They were energetic from the word go and didn't stop until they left stage. Though they did find the stage exit very quickly after the encore, IMO.

The venue?
Given that it was moved from Luna Park to the Horden after demand for tickets, I'm really in no position to complain because if it was still at Luna, I wouldn't have gone. But, given the large crowd, a bit of air-con wouldn't go astray; the stench walking out was too much!

Overall...I would see them 832743274 times again, minus the teenyboppers next time.

daledugahole

HSC

Who? Foo Fighters
Where? Sydney Opera House
When? 5th Oct, 7pm

It was even better. I went to their concert at the Superdome last year so I though it'd just be an accoustic version of that kind of set up but it was a totally different dynamic. Having such a small venue meant that band member spoke a lot to audience about how certain songs came about or just going off on tangents such as Dave not trusting Taylor to house sit. It was really intimate but extremely relaxed at the same time.

They started of mostly with songs from the accoustic disc of In Your Honor. Dave came on first and started playing Razor then the other members of the band came in on the chorus. They also played stuff from other albums Times Like These, Big Me, My Hero, Next Year ect. and finished spectacularly with Everlong. They also did a few not so well known songs of theirs Skin and Bones and even played Marigold which Dave wrote in his Nirvana days and was released as a B-side on Heart Shaped Box.

The crowd demeanor?
It was mainly die hard fans which covered a large demographic. The way the band interacts with the audience is great with Dave responding to a lot of people yelling out but for the more quieter moments like Dave explaining how he wrote 'Friend of a Friend' about first meating Krist Novaselic and Kurt Cobain the audience were respectfully quiet.

The band/ singers energy?
It was great the band really knows how to get the crowd going. Because of the 360 degree way the venue was seated Dave would often get up and play to different sections of the crowd and got everyone really hyped up. Dave is also a really funny guy so we were laughing our arses off for most of the show. Taylor does this weird twich when he plays the drums which is quite funny to watch. Nate was really mellow and I don't think I saw him crack a smile all night. And Chris the way he was positioned on the stage everytime he looked up he was looking directly at my friend and I which was really cool.

The Venue?
I think the Opera House really gave an intimate setting where the band members were really relaxed and joking around with each other. I thought it was great because I was in the fifth row and only a few metres from the band, I'm not sure how good it would have been for the people sitting behind the stage or up in the higher levels.

Overall
I had an amazing night. I love their music and they sound even better live and they do on the album. The funny annecdote add to the whole experience and it's clear the band love making music and more specifically making music together. I would definately see them again. Each time they did a song I love I though that's as good as it gets but they just kept going and it got better and better. I have to admit towards the end I was getting a bit disappointed because Everlong is my favourite song of theirs and I'd heard they'd played it the other nights and it was nearing the end of the encore and they hadn't yet played it. But they played it as their very last song and I think there are very few times I've been that excited in my life. It was awesome. Went beyond all my expectations and I don't think I'll see a gig that good for a while.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC

Who? Modular Monthly ft MSTRKRFT, Midnight Juggernauts, Ajax, Knife Machine etc
Where? The Forum, Fox Studios
When? 7th October 2006, 8pm

Better! i had been to see the Presets at the Forum before and it was fun but boring in comparison to MSTRKRFT. They were outrageously amazing

pretty much what i expected. most of the main songs from their new album "the Looks" as well as alot of their remixes. it was awesome

The crowd demeanor?
Thank fuck for 18+ gigs is all i can say. the crowd was really friendly (some more than others ;)) except for that bitch that bumjacked me (yeah. bumjacked!!). apart from that everyone was just there having a great time. no groups of cunts that i remember, only one or two isolated cunts

The band/singers energy?
well. i don't remember much but they seemed to be having an awesome time. there was a massive stage invasion - i'm not sure if it was planned or not but the stage was packed with people surrounding them and watching them. they seemed to be down with that so props to them!! i also rate them cause they make me swoon :eek:

The venue?
i love the forum. great dancefloor down the bottom. 3 levels, bars on each level. some nice little lounges around about and awesome mirrors in the bathroom!!

Overall...
amazingly awesome. its been, what, 4 days since the concert and i'm still in awe. MSTRKRFT have my heart <3

WATCH IT YO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcbcqnVHRZA

HSC

Parkway Drive @ The Forum, 11/11/06

FUCK YES!

Probably couldn't have put together a better playlist. All hits.

The crowd demeanor?
Absolutely nuts, the forum bottom floor was going nuts.

The band/singers energy?
Good crowd interaction, jumped in a few times

The venue?
Great venue, however perhaps somewhere closer to the city next time (for travel and drinkin purposes :p)

G

Gavvvvvin

Exphate said:
Who: AFI with The Bleeders
When: Saturday Night, 18th November
Where: Hordern Pavillion

Oh hell yes, and then some!

Mainly the new stuff (but hey, its the decemberundergound WT) so what do you expect? They walked out to "Prelude 12/21" and Davey (singer) was drowned out. More old stuff would have been good, and they should have played THE KILLING LIGHTS (my fav song :p )

THEY SAVED MISS MURDER TILL LAST. What an exit. :wub:

The crowd demeanor?

Hmm...they were a weird mix of people in the crowd. The hardcore kids, the bouncy energetic kids, the "emo" kids, older people (fans from the older days) and just general music lovers. The crowd was eletric, plenty of moshing, crowd surfing and chanting/singing etc.

One guy got up on stage and ran across. Too bad security jumped him, and started laying into him (Davey was singing, walked to the side and sorta pulled the SG off him lawl.

The band/singers energy?

Every chance they got, it was up on the steps and jumping/twirls, and the guitarist and bassist were continuously doing twicks with the guitars. Freaking awesome. Davey during the encore surfed the crowd while belting out Miss Murder, god it was hawt.

The support band, "The Bleeders" had a similar demeanor, also a good band they rocked the stage for about a half hour in the lead up

The venue?

The Hordern is shit. It's even worse if you are requiring designated seating due to mobility reasons. Where tey placed my friends and I was low enough to be blocked by everyones heads. Disappointing, as was the abuse (verbal and physical) I copped from the crazy coconut of a guard. "If you want to stand up, go down dere". Man, I should've had my provocative tank top and mini-skirt out, as the girl near me did: who was standing up and left alone till I pointed her out to Mr Coconut Security Gaurd.

Aww heck yes!!! I love them!!! Hopefully next time I can get myself an armband, freakin merch table was nuts!!!

Final Verdict

A for AFI! If you ever have a chance to see them, go! It was electric!!! Seeing them wisked away in there private car (parked infront of us) was an awesome end to the evening. To bad Gloria Jenes wasnt selling coffee at 11pm lol.
Awww wtf what time they you see them leave? There was like 100 of us waiting by the dock for a good 2 and a hlaf hours waiting for them :(

*Lozzie*

HSC

What: Day on the Green concert
The Line Up: Ross Wilson, Troy Casserdaly, Diesal The Whitlams
When 28th October (my 18th woohoo)
Where Cassergrain Winery Port Macquarie

i thought it was an awesome concert excellent line up
atmosphere was great ----- far few people were drunk by the end of the night but thats expected

ross wilson was really good but that might be bias lol when he sang eagle rock everyone was dancing it was awesome

troy casserdaly was better then i expected im not a big country fan but he sounds awesome live

diesal was really good too he also sounds awesome live

the whitlams were the highlight for me as im a big fan of theres they played some of there old songs and there new ones which was great i would definatly love to see them again

the venue

having it at cassergrains was greatbut it did start raining but only for 5 mins max

energy levels were high all night but that might of been due to the change of peformers

the crowd were really good kept up a good atmosphere altough some did leave before the headline act (the whilams ) came on oh well there loss

anyway over all an excellent night :)

Last edited:

justbecause

icanhascheezburger
HSC

This was just last Saturday...

Who? Dappled Cities Fly
Where? The Gaelic Club
When? 25th November

Yes even better than I thought. This was my third time seeing them and they get better each time. On Saturday they had canons shooting out confetti, there were balloons and origami stuff everywhere. It was quite special and magical. All of their shows have been extremely fun. Got to meet them, very nice guys.

What was the playlist like? A lot of their new tracks since their touring at the moment for the release of their new album "Granddance" (just out 2 weeks ago) and a few old singles. Usually the guys asks the crowd for requests, so it's cool. All their songs are fun and most of them are dance worthy.

The crowd demeanor? Every crowd I've seen at their shows have been great. Everyone gets right into the music without any other hassle. Sure, there may be the odd bunch of girls screaming out the singer is hot but doesn't that always happen at almost every concert?

The band/singers energy? Dappled Cities Fly are a funny bunch. One of their lead singers': Tim is crazy and likes to jump around a lot. He gets everybody going. It's fun to watch. I love it when they scream, they sound like birds haha. You can particulary hear it when the music is soft and it's just them singing, it sends shilvers up your spine. It's very amusing to watch. Best band live I've ever seen. Definetly worth to go to a show. You will go home gobsmacked. :)

The venue?
The Gaelic Club is very small but I love it. The smaller the venue the more close to the band.

HSC

Who: Post + Seaworthy
When: Friday 29th December 2006
Where: Newtown Theatre

I only stayed for Seaworthy before heading off to go to Spectrum to see Laura (which didn't end up happening) and they were really good! It was really good to just sit back, watch Seaworthy and relax before a working Saturday and after a full-on Thursday night.

4 x 10 minute songs. perfect, didn't drag on like most bands of the same nature would have.

The crowd demeanor? small mellow and laid-back crowd from all different age groups. Just how i expected.

The band/singers energy?
Cam + guitar = amazing.

The venue?
Cute little place. Just as the name suggests, it's a theatre. Tiered seating and all with some comfy couches on the side.

HSC

Who: Limpwrist (USA), Headless Horsemen, Scum System Kill, Crux
When: Friday 5th January 2007
Where: Maggotville Warehouse

Was the experience really as good as you expected? Definitely, I didn't really know what to expect. I'd heard alot of hype about Limpwrist live but had no idea why. I expected the typical Maggotville gig but I was completely wrong.

What was the playlist like? All the good songs played by all bands. Headless Horsemen played Born To Die. Limpwrist played I love Hardcore Boys, I love Boys Hardcore. I was pretty content.

The crowd demeanor? FUCKING CRAZY. Girls In bras jumping off PA's, boys getting stark naked, broken beer bottles, bare feet. Rowdiest maggotville crowd ever experienced.

The band/singers energy? pretty intense. limpwrist getting naked halfway through yr set proved highly amusing. Headless horsemen were amazing, shortty has so much energy, amazing band that never should have broken up in the first place.

The venue? As per usual, it reminds you of being in hell because it's a squat warehouse type thing with red lighting and creepy things adorned all over. BYO is always a plus though.

YES OF COURSE, seeing Limpwrist again on Wednesday perhaps.

icecreamdisco

HSC

haha, i love maggotville. how about the bloody tissues hanging from the ceiling substitute? or the goth poetry zines in the bathroom? lolz.

only been there once, tho. i don't like hardcore gigs much, as i am too civilised.

HSC

haha, how great is the pay phones and a random noose hanging from the beams? oh and that red light as soon as you enter?
lolz at the goth poetry zines, i should take the time to read them one day.

icecreamdisco

HSC

last time i was there the 'bar' was serving VB and pieces of stale bread. haha

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

Did anyone see Modest Mouse? I'd love to hear about it. :)

walrusbear

HSC

johnny marr was old but still rocking :p

they played new stuff
which sounded better than good news (which i didn't like)
highlight was dramamine

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC

Dramamine is one of my favorite songs by them! :) Did they mention when their new album would be released?

walrusbear

HSC

not that i could hear
it's supposed to be damn soon

the first single has leaked (dashboard)

yupkigirl__

HSC

Who: Children Collide (http://myspace.com/childrencollide) and Flamingo Crash (http://myspace.com/flamingocrash)
Where: Albion Hotel, Parramatta

Was the experience really as good as you expected? Flamingo Crash were better than expected but still rather mediocre. Children Collide were insanely good and whoever does not check out their myspace is a very sad person.

What was the playlist like? Haven't heard of Flamingo Crash before the actual gig so the songs were all fresh to me, all indie rock with some electro spun into it. Children Collide played all the songs in their EP as well as some other ones I haven't heard before.

The crowd demeanor? Dead. LOL, Parramatta at 10 on a Thursday night, not a lot is to be expected I guess. There was this one fellow who kept dancing (think Napoleon Dynamite) through both bands. Everyone just kinda sat and watched Flamingo Crash with this one guy yelling out stuff. MOre people came to see Children Collide and some girls got up to dance but, overall, pretty bleh.

The band/singers energy? Awesome from both bands.

The venue? Good, except for a silly smoke machine and lack of people.

Flamingo Crash, maybe, Children Collide, HELL YES.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)