Confused about Physical Journeys + Related Texts (1 Viewer)

tillytatta

HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm really confused on the concept of physical journeys and my search for related texts (espeically considering we only touched on it in the last week of school in 2005 and are expected to find related texts without even understadning what the concept is about)...

Basically, I;m confused about my related texts. Should the life-changing experiences, or obstacles be as a result of the physcial journey (ie after they arrive to their destiantion) or should I focus on expreinces during a physical journey???

Also how do I know if a physical journey is an imaginative or inner journey? For example, the hobbit deals with imaginary things like goblins, etc but is it still classified as a physical journey???

Thanks in advance for your help,
:)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
For physical journeys, you should look for related texts that involve the environment and nature, such as journeys across fields, or on the sea.

Should the life-changing experiences, or obstacles be as a result of the physcial journey (ie after they arrive to their destiantion) or should I focus on expreinces during a physical journey???
You are quite right; the life-changing experiences are definitely something to look for as well as obstacles that affect the journey. Also the characters or audience can learn from the journey through their own experiences.

Also how do I know if a physical journey is an imaginative or inner journey?
Many texts can be related to more than one journey, so as long as you can find the physical journey, you can use that text.

I hope that helps. :)

P

pLuvia

Physical Journey is the movement from one destination to another, facing obstacles which test strengths and weaknesses. It also isolates the traveller from familiarlarity and complacency

The things you should look out for when analysing a text for physical journey is the life changing factors, new experiences, and how the characters change from the beginning to the end. Also the destination is very important.

Well most texts as Riviet said are a mixture of all journeys, as seen in LOTR and many more. But since you are doing Physical Journey, try to focus as much on Physical then the others. But pick one that suits your journey

tillytatta

HSC
Thanks Riviet & pLuvia.

Do you think The Hobbit is a wise choice as a related text for physical journeys? I've been looking through bookshops like Angus & Robertson and Dymocks over the alst few days for a good text but I couldn't find any that were suitable. Can you guys recommend any titles or authors worth giving a hot?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Welcome to BOS tillytatta,

As for related texts for AOS: Physical Journeys it also depends on what your prescribed texts is because that usually determines what your other text types should be. You should think about using poems, song, image\bookcover, BOS text etc you don’t always need a whole novel. Just another important aspect you should think about on your ‘journey’.

Zhivargo

HSC
Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig is ideal for this topic.

Chetzie

HSC
would a magazine article about let's say... shackleton or one of the people that went to antarctica be a good thing for physical journeys?

HSC
Chetzie said:
would a magazine article about let's say... shackleton or one of the people that went to antarctica be a good thing for physical journeys?
Yes. As long as you can prove that its a physical journey then it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)