Confused about timetables/Units etc. (1 Viewer)

miss-smexy

HSC
I'm so confused about making timetables or choosing units. I got into Commerce (Accounting) / Law and I have no idea what the website is talking about =(

http://handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=ACCL01

What are the levels? I.e. 100 level, 200 level etc... Is it that you do 100 level in first year, 200 level in second year etc? But then if that's so, how come a law degree takes 5 years and it only goes up to 400 level?

Assuming that 100 level IS indeed for first year, then I have to choose:

100 levelRequiredeitherACCG100Accounting IA (3)orACCG105Introductory Financial Accounting (3)3RequiredACCG101Accounting IB (3)3RequiredACST101Techniques and Elements of Finance (3)3RequiredECON110Macroeconomic Principles (3)3RequiredECON111Microeconomic Principles (3)3RequiredLAW104Law, Lawyers and Society (3)3RequiredLAW114Jurisprudence (3)3RequiredeitherSTAT170Introductory Statistics (3)orSTAT171Statistical Data Analysis (3)3Requiredone ofCOMP unitsISYS units

But how am I supposed to choose when I don't even know which subject is better to take? >.< E.g. is ACCG100 or ACCG105 'better'? How about STAT170 vs STAT171... or COMP units vs ISYS units? =/

On the website it said that it's better to choose course units before the orientation sessions. Does that mean we also choose a timetable? Sighh... I don't even know how to make a timetable even though there's a timetable maker ='(

Someone help me please? It's overwhelming >.<

Last edited:

K.

HSC
miss-smexy said:
I'm so confused about making timetables or choosing units. I got into Commerce (Accounting) / Law and I have no idea what the website is talking about =(

http://handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=ACCL01

What are the levels? I.e. 100 level, 200 level etc... Is it that you do 100 level in first year, 200 level in second year etc? But then if that's so, how come a law degree takes 5 years and it only goes up to 400 level?

Assuming that 100 level IS indeed for first year, then I have to choose:

100 levelRequiredeitherACCG100Accounting IA (3)orACCG105Introductory Financial Accounting (3)3RequiredACCG101Accounting IB (3)3RequiredACST101Techniques and Elements of Finance (3)3RequiredECON110Macroeconomic Principles (3)3RequiredECON111Microeconomic Principles (3)3RequiredLAW104Law, Lawyers and Society (3)3RequiredLAW114Jurisprudence (3)3RequiredeitherSTAT170Introductory Statistics (3)orSTAT171Statistical Data Analysis (3)3Requiredone ofCOMP unitsISYS units

But how am I supposed to choose when I don't even know which subject is better to take? >.< E.g. is ACCG100 or ACCG105 'better'? How about STAT170 vs STAT171... or COMP units vs ISYS units? =/

On the website it said that it's better to choose course units before the orientation sessions. Does that mean we also choose a timetable? Sighh... I don't even know how to make a timetable even though there's a timetable maker ='(

Someone help me please? It's overwhelming >.<

you look at the requirements and pick all the ones you have to. if they give you a choice between two (or more) just pick whichever one you want to do. Though I think with accounting there is a specific path of subjects you have to take if you want to do some cpa? program.
the easiest thing to do, would be to pick out your 400 level subjects and the subjects you're required to do, then go backwards and pick the subjects that are required in lower levels in order to get up to that.

100, 200, 300, 400 level doesnt always mean 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th year. Its mainly the level of that subject, some people do 200 subjects in their first year.

you don't really make a timetable yet, you just enrol in your subjects. you make a timetable when we enrol in tutorials/workshops/pracs. though on the timetable website you can make a timetable, but i don't think the class times are finalised yet (or maybe they are??)

williamc

HSC
Accept the offer.

Enrolling is done from the 29th-4th, and you can help pick your units after you go to that advice sesh.

miss-smexy

HSC
"Plan your Program (including request Credit for Previous Studies)

You should try to plan your program before you attend the on-campus pre-enrolment sessions"

=S

williamc

HSC
miss-smexy said:

You should try to plan your program before you attend the on-campus pre-enrolment sessions"

=S
Yer but you don't officially enroll in it.

HSC
N/A
williamc said:
Yer but you don't officially enroll in it.
You're right until someone points out that the Pre-Enrollment sessions are on the SAME DAY as enrollment.

Give me a few minutes to do some scanning, and I'll show you how to plan your degree... the key thing to remember is CORE UNITS (aka 'prescribed'/compulsary units) and PREREQUISITES.

lipglossnblack

HSC
When you go in to the page "What am i required to do blah blah blah" you pick your course and you see the 100 200 300 level stuff, if u click on the link e.g MKTG101 it will sayd offered: D1 first half-year, which means that course is offered in the first half of the year only. That's just an example of one subject, check all the subjects you are required to do and it will guide u in making up your own plan. The page with your subjects on it will also tell u how many credit points are required, you must have more than 12 and less than 14 in each half year or semester. Hope this helps...

HSC
N/A
The most important thing new students should do is look at the handbook. If you can figure out the online version (http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/), great. If not, buy one from the Co-op bookshop.

It looks like this:

It's colour-coded on the side. I'll come back to this later.

What you need to do first is look at the Scheduled Programs of Study and find your degree. If you're using a hard copy of the handbook, you might want to have some post-it notes handy because you'll be coming back to this page a lot.

Depending on what degree you're doing, you'll either have a lot of choice, or not a lot of choice. This is an example where you don't have much choice

And this is one where you have more choice (typical of Arts degrees, or degrees in the Humanities/SCMP areas).

The really important thing is to make sure you read all the fine print. If it says

Then you HAVE to do these units. You do NOT have a choice.

It's easiest to start 'from the top down', so let's pick ARTS300.

Flick to the 'red' section - Schedule of Units. The most important columns here are
Credit Points (how much the course is worth - it's kind of like HSC 'units'),
Prerequisites (what you MUST have passed before doing this course),
Co-requisites (what you must do in tandem with this course) and
When Offered (D1 refers to Semester 1, D2 = Semester 2, DE1 = Semester 1 evening class, X1 = Semester 1 external class etc).

As we can see, ARTS300 is worth 3 cp (credit points), has 'admission to the BCA degree' and ARTS200 as prerequisites, and will be held in Semester 1.

Bearing in mind that we HAVE to do prerequisites, we can then look at ARTS200 and see that it is worth 4cp, has 'admission to the BCA' and ARTS100 as prerequisites, and will be held during semester 2. And repeat for ARTS100.

If you fold a piece of paper into 6 (or 8, if you're doing a 4 year degree) then we have something that looks like this:

So even though we 'officially' only needed to do ARTS300, we actually need to do ARTS200 and ARTS100 as well (or at least, I did).

Repeat this process for all core subjects, and you'll end up with something that looks like this:

And voila. Welcome to the next three (or four, or five) years of your life.

Now onto the last bit. Suppose you want to find out a bit more about your course, or are deciding between electives. Turn to the last section of the book - Descriptions of Units.

If you want to know more about the units, then speak to an Academic Advisor.

HSC
N/A
miss-smexy said:
The levels often roughly go with year of study, but not always (they're more indicative of level of difficulty... sort of). Especially if you have more 200-level units than you can fit in a year, then obviously you'll have to spread them over more than a year.

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
wow this should be stickied and should be renamed 'Timetable/Units for dummies :D'

miss-smexy

HSC
Thanks glitterfairy!!! That was extremely helpful!

bukwow said:
wow this should be stickied and should be renamed 'Timetable/Units for dummies :D'
haha yeh... I was so clueless before...

AsyLum said:
Oh you made it
yupp

david1337king

HSC
Thanks for the explanation glitterfairy. But Im still a bit confused.

Why is it that some programs already lists 100 level, 200 level 300 level etc and tells you info such as major etc. where as programs such as example 2 in glitterfairy's shows different info?

Can someone explain. Its probably is something very simple but I havent picked up yet.

cutiebabyforeva

Coz I'm Cool Like That ;)
HSC
miss-smexy said:

=S
I'm so confused about that as well! I'm doing Applied Finance/Law... bloody plan your timetable before the enrolment thing? WTF?!?!?! It's giving me a headache I've been at it for hours and I'm still not getting all of it >.<

david1337king

HSC
Same, its so confusing. I got no idea. The example shown by glitterfairy, (example 1-few choices and example 2-lots of choices) throws me off. Some area of study contains both, and I don't know which is the correct one.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
How to make your own timetable: Step 1 of getting into uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)