Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
With Composition, most composers genrally have a second job. Either in IT or Law, which seems to be huge with Musicians at the moment ^^;; I know a couple of people at the Con, actually they've finished now ^^ who were doing a degree at UTS plus a Con BMus Comp.

At aim... proffessional performance doesnt' come from just a simple degree.. Theré's auditions, there is 'contacts' so where your degree comes from isnt' the biggest deal, altho if applying for somehtng like an orchestra, and you hand them an AIM cert. They wont be too happy.
AIM i thought was one of the funnest places to go... but it's really not what you need in a proffesional career, wether it be classical - Classical DEFINATLEY not. or Contemporary. Their Music theatre department has produced a few good people, and contemporary: Casey Donovan.. Although, she was from the High school.
I'd really consider rethinking AIM.. I know it's kinda odd to be putting down my old school, but I don't like to see people wasting soo much on a rediculous place thats just become a whole lot worse.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Bunny04 said:
With Composition, most composers genrally have a second job. Either in IT or Law, which seems to be huge with Musicians at the moment ^^;; I know a couple of people at the Con, actually they've finished now ^^ who were doing a degree at UTS plus a Con BMus Comp.
Woah, you can do that? Wait, does that mean I can do two separate degrees? e.g., Medicine at UNSW or USyd AND Composition? What about clashing timetables?

Do composers generally have multiple jobs because mmusic doesn't pay well, or because of a lack of jobs (but there are only 20 or so Con graduates a year!)?

In any case, my AIM-inspired friend is planning to ask a music teacher about it tomorrow; I think he'd still like to go there. Surely there are other options besides AIM, UNSW and USyd. ANU, anyone?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
187 said:
Woah, you can do that? Wait, does that mean I can do two separate degrees? e.g., Medicine at UNSW or USyd AND Composition? What about clashing timetables?
I would've thought more along the lines of doing a degree after the other. You know. After music, do law.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I would've thought more along the lines of doing a degree after the other. You know. After music, do law.
That would take a lot of money, wouldn't it? $15k per degree? *whistles*

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I know somebody who attempted three degrees at the same time. She went completely insane. Literally.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Phanatical, just out of curiosity, why are you doing a Music Studies course? Don't get me wrong; it's just that my impression of you is that of an accomplished composer, so I'm just a little surprised that you're not studying Composition.

EDIT: Roffle, I find this hilarious:

"The goals of the Bachelor of Music are...to develop the generic attributes of Graduates of The University of Sydney." - as listed on the University Of Sydney's web site.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I transferred from the BMus (Comp.) to the BABMusStudies because my ambitions for after university don't include Composition as a career path. In the BA, I am completing a second music major, and a Politics major - which suits me a lot better than a straight Composition degree.

And I'm not quite an accomplished composer. Yet.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
I see, I see. So...what exactly does the BABMusStudies degree allow you to do? Branch off into whatever area of Music you want?

Politics, eh? Would I sound like an idiot if I asked you if you're planning to become a politician? o_0

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In the BABMusStudies degree, I complete the course requirements of the BMusStudies, plus the course requirements of a BA (Music). So two music majors (one at the Greenway building, one at the Seymour centre), and then one more Arts major from either Table A or B.

And yes, it is my ambition to become a politician. I head the Independent Students' Association at USYD, and I'm running for the NSW Upper House in the next State election.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Awesome; it sounds like you already have everything planned out quite solidly. I have a fairly good idea of what I'm going to attempt, but it's not completely certain. Many of my friends have absolutely no idea as to what industry they would like to break into, however. As you seem to have done, I hope to turn a passion into a career, and thus transform work into...not work. Working simply for money is not what I'd like to happen; I'd rather be less wealthy but involved in an occupation I seriously enjoy, even though some might argue that a high-paying job will allow for early retirement. Well, screw that. I wouldn't mind working for longe if I truly enjoy it.

[/highly random and somewhat irrelevant rant]

Rach_10

HSC
just wondering, for the B Musicology entry submission, what type of written work are they looking for? Is it an essay style, how long etc?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hey, does anyone know whether you can still keep your old instrumental teacher when you do a degree at the Con? I have this funny impression that once you get inside the degree you must enrol with a private teacher currently teaching at the Con (not necessarily lessons, but should be based at the Con)

I wanna do BMusStudies after my current degree and I like my piano teacher very much--it'd be sad to lose her :(

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
lala2 said:
Hey, does anyone know whether you can still keep your old instrumental teacher when you do a degree at the Con? I have this funny impression that once you get inside the degree you must enrol with a private teacher currently teaching at the Con (not necessarily lessons, but should be based at the Con)

I wanna do BMusStudies after my current degree and I like my piano teacher very much--it'd be sad to lose her :(
I've heard that the Con does not approve of you having outside teachers. I'm not sure about this but it continues to be a concern for people at the Con, it might just be a very strong rumour.

Although, with the smarts, I don't think its too hard to keep that under wraps...

n.b. I'm not encouraging you to go against the Con but I do consider what might be best for musicians.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Hey, just to add on that note-
In the string department (well actually violinists) a few students have kept their old teachers- the Dean does not approve of it thought- apparantly.
So, you can get away with it in some cases, but it's not recommended.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Rach_10 said:
just wondering, for the B Musicology entry submission, what type of written work are they looking for? Is it an essay style, how long etc?
sorry for the late reply!

In the Bachelor of Music (Musicology) admission is based on secondary school achievement (ie your UAI as a guide), an audition, a music skills test and an interview. No essay of the sort.

BeatMaker

HSC
Hi all!! I was just wondering, does any of you's know anything about the minor performance percussion thing? I want to apply for BMusEd and min. in Percussion. I know what i have to do, but generally, how many people are in the perc. department? are they good? what are they like? anyone? I only hear keyboard, strings, brass and woodwinds from the con... so yeh... i'd like to know if anyone knows... And is it hard to get into that?

Cheers

BeatMaker

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
sorry for the late reply!

In the Bachelor of Music (Musicology) admission is based on secondary school achievement (ie your UAI as a guide), an audition, a music skills test and an interview. No essay of the sort.
I thought you do have to hand in an essay? One of my mates said that just hand in what ever essay you did for your HSC; he's was his extension music one. And on top of that, it's everything mentioned above...

quoted from the Sydney Con site:
"Applicants should submit an example of their recent written work. Musicology staff will then invite you to an interview to discuss their interest in musicology and their commitment to musical research. On the basis of the written work and the interview, the Conservatorium will assess your potential to undertake musical research at a basic professional level."

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
BeatMaker said:
I thought you do have to hand in an essay? One of my mates said that just hand in what ever essay you did for your HSC; he's was his extension music one. And on top of that, it's everything mentioned above...

quoted from the Sydney Con site:
"Applicants should submit an example of their recent written work. Musicology staff will then invite you to an interview to discuss their interest in musicology and their commitment to musical research. On the basis of the written work and the interview, the Conservatorium will assess your potential to undertake musical research at a basic professional level."
I stand corrected.

I merely looked at the Con Website. Must've got a dodge non-in-depth one.

Apologies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)