Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
ALL students, no matter what stream, must complete an Interview, Con Music Skills Test and the HSC Music 2 course or equivalent. On top of this, students are expected to demonstrate a sample of work in their chosen major. For performers, this is an audition, and for other streams it's a portfolio of previously completed work (usually from the HSC).

lala2

Banned
HSC
What would be a good GPA to transfer to a Bachelor of Music Studies or Music Education? I'm just thinking that if I fail (or pass and do relatively badly) this semester, I might wanna change degrees.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You'll need to do the music skills test and complete an audition for your chosen Chair of unit. This will comprise the overwhelming majority of your application, so I wouldn't worry too much about your WAM.

mis0705

Not a new member
HSC
So, if we do pick another teacher from the con, not keeping to our old instrument teachers, how do we know wether or not we will suit them?
Why do the Con not approve of us having outside teachers?

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Firstly, the reason why we have to have a teacher at the con (unless there's exceptional circumstances... For instance, I heard the double bass teachers have all left.. and so that might be the only option for the time being)
You come to the con not for the boring ass subjects like harmony and aural and music history- you come for your instrumental lessons, or whatever major you choose. What would the point be, if you came to the con as a Performance major and you didn't use a 'con' teacher- you might aswell not study at the con.. You could go to AIM or any other place..

Secondly, you can arrange before your audition lessons with the instrumental teachers.. You can give them a call, or go see them in their studios (if they're full time teachers they'll have studios with their names on the door). When you get into the con, and you go for your 'fill out forms' day hehehe xD they'll give you a sheet, and you have to nominate a choice of teacher... Obviously, the teacher will assess wether or not they think you're suitable for them, based on your audition/interview. (no interview for performance mind you)
I'd definatley recommend going to all the teachers around in your instrument, or major- and having a few lessons before your audition. (helps- trust me)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
Usually the head of the unit and a few of the instrumental teachers,
for instance.. For the Cello Auditions
You'd have the head of strings, (Geotz Richter - Violin)
The head of the Instrument (cello- Georg Pederson)
The senior Lecturer of the instrument (cello- Susan Blake)

No less than 3 on a performance major audition, and usually 3 - 4 people. Depending on what instrument. Last year, they had 4 on the violin pannel.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Would anyone be able to explain the concepts of Major, Minor and Principal level studies? Thanks.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
Principal Study - Enrolment in a Principal Study is compulsory in all Conservatorium courses. Principal Study is instrumental or vocal lessons and concert practice, or small group study and is usually available at Major or Minor level of study.
Level - Major and Minor have different entry and attainment levels, workload expectations and credit point values. Major level demands a high level of achievement and commitment and is aimed at students who wish to consider a career as a performer, composer or musicologist. Minor level provides for students aiming for a broad music-related career and allows greater opportunities to follow musical interests beyond the Principal Study. Students may audition at both levels. After one year of study, subject to meeting the relevant standard, students may apply to transfer. Entry criteria for each Principal Study is presentation of a specific Conservatorium audition or submission program at Major or Minor level. Applicants who choose to apply for both levels, where both are offered, should prepare the Major level program. A mark will be given for both levels.

Major and Minor Level

Principal Study is available at major or minor level, depending on the course you are doing, reflecting different levels of entry and attainment, different workload expectations and different credit point values.

Principal Study in the Bachelor of Music (Music Education) and in the Bachelor of Music Studies may be taken at either Major level (6 credit points) or Minor Level (3 credit points), depending on ability. Major level involves extensive training in public performance culminating in public recital examinations, while Minor Level develops instrumental or vocal ability without an emphasis on public performance and involves studio examinations only.

Principal Study in all jazz performance areas (with the exception of Jazz Vocal) is offered only at Major Level, regardless of degree or award course. Jazz Vocal is also offered at Minor level in the Bachelor of Music Studies and the Bachelor of Music (Music Education).

Principal Study in the Bachelor of Music (Performance) and Diploma of Music is offered only at Major Level.

Principal Study

Principal Study refers to the instrument studied in the case of Bachelor of Music (Performance) and Bachelor of Music (Music Education), or Composition or Musicology in the case of Bachelor of Music (Composition) and Bachelor of Music (Musicology).

Principal study is offered at a major and minor level. Currently the Conservatorium does not offer minor level study in Composition or Jazz Performance. It is not possible to take two principal studies in different instruments or voice.

Except with the approval of the Board, students will normally be enrolled in a Principal Study in each semester of their course, until they have completed the minimum requirements in Principal Study for their award.

For more info:

www.music.usyd.edu.au

Last edited:

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Thanks! I'm still a little confused after reading that, however. In plain, summarised English, is it necessary to undertake both a Major and Minor level study? Also, must one audition for both levels. e.g., to study composition as a major and guitar performance at a minor level, is a guitar audition required? Hang on, I remember reading somewhere that composition includes a performance component anyway.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
187 said:
Thanks! I'm still a little confused after reading that, however. In plain, summarised English, is it necessary to undertake both a Major and Minor level study? Also, must one audition for both levels. e.g., to study composition as a major and guitar performance at a minor level, is a guitar audition required? Hang on, I remember reading somewhere that composition includes a performance component anyway.
As far as I know, you only major or minor in something. ie if you minor in piano - you're doing less than a person majoring in piano when it comes to the Piano Major Subjects, but you have a choice of other subjects (thus giving you broader options) so you can delve in other performance, composition, musicology (and other) subjects.

I do a major in composition, so I do the full composition load (Composition 1-8) and have subjects to do with performance and musicology etc. I can't minor in anything else.

So plainly, you have a range of subjects, but you can only EITHER minor OR major in something which determines your workload in that particular field.

Get me darl?

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Thanks, that makes it a lot clearer! =D

silvermoonjazz

HSC
I play Tenor sax, and am looking at a b music (education) and probably only doing sax at a minor level. Does anyone have any repetoire suggestions for the audition?

GRX40
HSC
N/A
I've just discovered that I can't apply for the Composition course, but only the Music Studies course. Could anyone tell me about that? Basically, I can just pick Composition to specialize in, right? Thus, no performance audition is needed, I hope?

My performance isn't exactly the best - heck, I'm not even AMus level - but it seems like a bit of a shame to completely disregard it, so perhaps trying for Music Studies wouldn't be all that bad.

As well as explaining what's involved, does anyone know what the qualification leads to? Does Music Studies qualify one to teach Music? Is it impressive or completely irrelevant when applying for a composition opportunity or session performance?

Oh, and is it a good course for a student who is well-rounded, but not particularly spectacular at all aspects? And...argh, are there going to be dire consequences if I can't sing very well, if at all?!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
187 said:
I've just discovered that I can't apply for the Composition course, but only the Music Studies course. Could anyone tell me about that? Basically, I can just pick Composition to specialize in, right? Thus, no performance audition is needed, I hope?

My performance isn't exactly the best - heck, I'm not even AMus level - but it seems like a bit of a shame to completely disregard it, so perhaps trying for Music Studies wouldn't be all that bad.

As well as explaining what's involved, does anyone know what the qualification leads to? Does Music Studies qualify one to teach Music? Is it impressive or completely irrelevant when applying for a composition opportunity or session performance?

Oh, and is it a good course for a student who is well-rounded, but not particularly spectacular at all aspects? And...argh, are there going to be dire consequences if I can't sing very well, if at all?!

Why couldn't you do Composition?

ie B Music (Composition) - which is the composition degree?

you can do B Music Studies (Composition) as what you're alluding to

Music Studies just means your workload is broader across the Performance/Composition/Musicology subjects, as well as room for free choice (moreso than other degrees).

Tonight or sometime this week, I'll post exactly the differences between each Conservatorium degree, as I see it looks as though its needed more specifically than my stickied "What Does A Conservatorium of Music Degree Involve?" thread.

If you can't sing well at all... lol... I don't think its a major factor unless you want to be vocal major :p

A qualification to teach music would B Music (Education)... or any of the Con degrees + a Dip Ed. Although each degree has to do a certain amount of education subjects.. I'll check up on that

And to clarify - I didn't actually ever have piano lessons, didn't do spectacular in Music 2 (but did swell in Ext), but ended up with a scholarship for this Composition Degree.... so no... not spectacular at everything :)

GRX40
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
And to clarify - I didn't actually ever have piano lessons, didn't do spectacular in Music 2 (but did swell in Ext), but ended up with a scholarship for this Composition Degree.... so no... not spectacular at everything :)
Woah! Nice!

The reason I can no longer accept the Composition degree (even in the minute chance that I actually make it in...dang!) is because only the Music Studies option is available for a combined course I'm seriously considering. Now that I think about it, I don't actually know that much about the Composition course; maybe I'm just attracted to it because the name sounds flashier, or because I actually know a few people currently in it.

In any case, I hope that Music Studies isn't a soft option or anything. Does anyone have any ideas how easy or difficult it is to make it in, in comparison to Performance and Composition? If Composition has 15-20 places, how about Music Studies?

"B Music Studies (Composition)" sounds good indeed. It's still a "real" Music course at the Conservatorium, right? (i.e., not an Arts --> Music course that people seem to disdain.)

Again, thanks for the helpful reply!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)