Conservatoriums - GENERAL: Entry, atmosphere, auditions etc. (1 Viewer)

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
hey guys!
sorry i couldnt be bothered reading all the posts on this thread but heres my question.
im currently in year 11 and up to 5th Grade AMEB theory and 4th Grade AMEB Piano and am doing music 1 (because my school doesnt offer Music 2 or Extension) and would absolutely love making it into the con (just like everyone lol!) but what are the chances of me getting into the con at this level? are they high or low? and did anyone here complete music 1 and get into the con? and to clear rumours is it true that you can pay your way into the con? Because ive heard all these rumours about it.
please reply :)

♥ vanessa

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You don't have to do Music in High School or the HSC to get into the Con, it's all about a matter of skill. They recommend Grade 7 AMEB equivalent, but hey, why not give it a shot?

What degree/major are you aiming for?

Last edited:

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
The Major Performance level of Piano entry is extremley high. They only take 2-4 people a year, and the bar is set rather high. I'd say if you worked hard enough, at that level you might gain entrance to the Minor level, but unfortunatley those wanting to get into the piano major course at con level are usually 8th grade to A-MusA(piano)standard and above.
No, you can't pay your way into the con. There are auditions, tough auditions- especially for Piano. Whoever is spreading those rumours obviously doesn't have much of a clue about the con.

To be honest- it's hard to judge a persons ability over the net- What I recommed is actually having a lesson with one of the teachers at the Con. Gerard Williams and the other teachers might be willing to give you a lesson if you call them up and explain that you'd like to audition for the con, and could they see where you're at, and what you need to do.
Don't really rely on 'What grade' you need to be at, because there's no such grade. (A person doing Music 1 can get in, based on audition- although Music 2 is recommended).

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Realistically though, the standard is incredibly high. I have friends who didn't get into the Con with an LMusA, I also have friends who did get into the Con with 7th Grade. Examiners look for learning potential even more so than current skill level - they will not take the 14 (14 keyboard majors per year, last time I checked) most skilled applicants, they will take the 14 they feel will get the most out of the course.

cmckie

HSC
Hey, was just wondering if anyone is doing a double degree, bachelor of music/arts at the con, or know anyone that is? Would it be possible to put the same amount of hours into my instrument as someone who is just doing a bachelor of music ( perf)? And do people doing double degrees get the same amount of attention as people doing just the single degree?
Thanks.
:)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
Bachelor of Music/Arts is based both at the Con and main campus, so you'll have less time to practice and so on (cello majors requested to practice 4-5 hours a day. xD Trust me cass, the know when you haven't practiced that long!).
I'm not sure if you can do a Bacelor of music (perf) with a combined arts degree.
Basically it's doing two degrees at the same time, so the work load is alot greater than single bachelor of music.
Phanatical does it... I think. xD Phanatical.. Explain dude!

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
woahhh hey peeps..
does anyone remember me!?!?! :(
just thought i might log in... its been like 2 years since i last came here...
how is everyone?!

cmckie

HSC
Hey,
was just wondering if anyone knew who I could get in contact with at the con, who would be able to give me specific info about the different courses and suggest what would be best for me etc. I've read through course info on the website but I just need to ask some more detailed questions.
Thanks! :)

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
HSC
You can probably contact the head of student admin.
I'm not too sure who the best person would be, but seeing as you're a cellist- perhaps ask head of strings, Geotz Richter.
I think the numbers can be found on the con website, otherwise i'll give you the numbers for Geotz on msn ^^

cmckie

HSC
Thanks Bunny, yeah maybe someone in student admin could help me? I'll give the con a call tomorrow. I'll be down there in a fortnight so it would be good if i could chat to someone!
Also I was wondering, there is a concert on in 2 weeks at the con, its on wed the 2oth ( i think), its a chamber music performance during lunch that I wanna go to, will that just be in the Verbrugghen hall?
Thanks! :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
There are so many performances that go on, I honestly have no idea. Best if you ask student admin, as they normally have some idea of what's happening, and if they can't forward you on to someone that can answer you, the box office (which is to your right as you enter the con) should be able to help you.

My guess is that it is. If not, then go all the way downstairs and it should be one of the three concert halls on your right, called "East Recital Hall", "West Recital Hall" and "Music Workshop". There is usually a sign outside these indicating what's on near to the performance time.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
Bunny04 said:
It's moon styla. xD One of the 04'ers.
I remember you. Hehe.
i remember u too!!!
r u still at the con?
how r things there??

mad-triste

HSC
Hi, all -

Um. I was wondering about the Con. My absolute goal and aim is to get into the Bachelor of Music (Musicol.) - but I know nothing about standards, or interviews and portfolios or numbers or... anything! Can anyone help slash does anyone know about it?

Also, I wanted to try for the music studies/arts (USYD of course): do I do a separate audition for this?

It's all confusing. I'm music 2 in classical voice, music ext in musicology, and I'd like to do either - I've got no idea of the Con standards for voice, so I thought I might try musicol. for the bachelor and voice for the double degree. Can I do this?

Oh, it's all so deeply confusing.

champo14

HSC
Hey I was wondering from anyone in the Jazz course if the Aptitude test is on the same day as your audition. If not, when is it?

They say the auditions are on from 26 Nov- 7 Dec

sarahpettigrove

HSC
i'm applying for b mus (perf) and i know that the prerequisitiy thingies are mus 2 or ameb muscianship grade 6. i play oboe (ameb grade 6) and i've done ameb theory grade 4 but our school doesn't offer mus 2 aon i only did mus 1. do i have any chance of getting in? i'm also applying for anu b mus cause its closer. does anyone know the standards for anu? pls help... i'm kinda stressing

champo14

HSC
sarahpettigrove said:
i'm applying for b mus (perf) and i know that the prerequisitiy thingies are mus 2 or ameb muscianship grade 6. i play oboe (ameb grade 6) and i've done ameb theory grade 4 but our school doesn't offer mus 2 aon i only did mus 1. do i have any chance of getting in? i'm also applying for anu b mus cause its closer. does anyone know the standards for anu? pls help... i'm kinda stressing
They recommend Music 2, but you don't need it to get in. If you do a kick ass audition then you'll probably get offered a place. I know a guy who did Music 1 and got in on Trombone.

As for ANU, I don't know exactly what the standard is like, but its a good uni. One of my friends is going there for voice next year and he said it has really cool uni vibes.

SO yeah, don't stress.

sarahpettigrove

HSC
champo14 said:
They recommend Music 2, but you don't need it to get in. If you do a kick ass audition then you'll probably get offered a place. I know a guy who did Music 1 and got in on Trombone.

As for ANU, I don't know exactly what the standard is like, but its a good uni. One of my friends is going there for voice next year and he said it has really cool uni vibes.

SO yeah, don't stress.
thanks but wat about the ameb musicianship? wat kind of stress do they put on that?

RJO1988

HSC
mad-triste said:
Hi, all -

Um. I was wondering about the Con. My absolute goal and aim is to get into the Bachelor of Music (Musicol.) - but I know nothing about standards, or interviews and portfolios or numbers or... anything! Can anyone help slash does anyone know about it?

Also, I wanted to try for the music studies/arts (USYD of course): do I do a separate audition for this?

It's all confusing. I'm music 2 in classical voice, music ext in musicology, and I'd like to do either - I've got no idea of the Con standards for voice, so I thought I might try musicol. for the bachelor and voice for the double degree. Can I do this?

Oh, it's all so deeply confusing.
Heya!! There are a lot of things you've asked in your thread. I'll try to answer em' one by one :D. Basically the deal with Musicology is you submitt your essay (for the portfolio bit) that you did in HSC Ext. Mus. and they'll say "Hi we'll interview you on this date, day and time. See you there" (interview... easy... just fake your way through - be confident). The Cons standard is generally pretty high. Don't get me wrong, I was in your position two years ago and last year; but it's not as high as you think. They accept, I think, around 5 each year... usually don't get 5. Last year there are 3 Majors and 1 Minor. This year there are around 4 ish again I think.

Regarding MusStu/Arts, no you do not do a seperate audition. Make sure though you TICK the audition application form. What you want to do and all and preferance that course in your UAI thingi. People doing MusStu/Arts usually do Principal Study (in this case - musicology) minor. It has been done with Major and someone is transferring to do that next year. HOWEVER, it is very demanding. But if you're up for it :D why not give it a shot! (and also, tick both minor AND major in the audition application form - you have nothing to loose).

As I said earlier, the Cons standard generally is pretty high. The Voice is a very selective department - they are picky (as much as the keyboard and strings department). One thing I'll say though, audition and give it a shot!! As I said, you have nothing to loose. I made the mistake in 2005 of not auditioning as much stuff as possible and hoping to get into the Con with one of my auditions. I only auditioned for 2 (major only) and I didn't get in first time. In 2006 however, I auditioned for 4 (both major and minor) and I got in. I'm sure this won't be your case!! :D :D

Anyhows!! I hope this helps and I hope you do well in HSC and more that you do well in your auditionS!! (plural :D). All the very best!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)