Context (1 Viewer)

Benno

HSC
I'm a standard student wanting to know what is context and how does it convey meaning?

i really don't know and need help so someone please respond

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
The Composers context is the circumstances (social issues prevalent at the time, the Composers own personal life, stuff like that) in which their text was composed, which may have influenced the values and meaning of the text. Context doesn't so much convey meaning; knowledge of the Composers context identifies the circumstances/issues which influenced his/her values/meaning presented in the text.

And in the Responders case, context is the same thing, but it influences how we respond, read the text, and interpret its meaning.

Last edited:

Benno

HSC
how would i talk about it in the exam? just give a short history of the composer?

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Originally posted by Benno
how would i talk about it in the exam? just give a short history of the composer?
You'd mention the value, then the contextual influence that the value grew from, and just explain a bit how they are linked. Or you could do it the other way round, and mention the context first i guess.

connie

HSC
N/A
ok so in my trial for john donne we got the question; write a feature article on John Donne and his poetry with the title "Poets have their own distinctive voice" how would you bring context into this question?

also do we have to know critiques or do they only sometimes ask for them?

Benno

HSC
hmm ill have a go

maybe if u say somthing aty the start john donne grew up wherever and whenever (i dont know when we grew up or where) this had a major influence on the way john expresses his distinctive voice though poetry.

if it was written 100 years ago u could say somthing like the meaning of the poem is the same but we view it differently to those who lived 100 years ago

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Benno's right
You could explain why a particular part of one of his texts (a technique, an image, whatever) is an example of a distinctive characteristic of his writing, then explain how his context influenced his usage of that particular technique, and/or how his context shaped the meaning he is conveying through usage of that technique.
As for critiques, i dont know if you're standard or advanced, or what module it is, so i dunno
If you're talking about Module B Advanced, and readings of a text, then yeah they'll always be included

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)