continuity and change question (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
i know everyone is prettty pissed with this question. it wasnt the best, but im kinda glad they didnt do yet another social change theory.

ive talked to ppl and they have SUCH different answers for the 3 marker. one said they used the delphi technique, while another said scenarios and another said stat. analysis.

i did 'historical analysis'

what did everyone think about this question and what did you's all really put?

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
i was intially shocked by the question, but i calmed down and remembered about trend extrapolation. so that is the method that i used. man i really hope that is right, im pretty sure that it is.

Mia Wallace

i said a mixture of what you two said. i know it said 'on but i had NO idea so i crapped on about researching historical factors, past trends and changes in statistics.

jack white

After Hours
HSC
i used a mixture of two as well, trend extrapolation and scenario writing and compared it to the delphi technique. that section was ok, but i really wanted a theory question, as i studied that lots. oh well, my answer would have sounded the same either way, bullshit, bullshit, concept, concept, bullshit.

pig_93

HSC
i dont think anyone fully knew
i was like what the hell when i saw it
i thought they'd write about traditions or whatever....
empowerment or some gay term like that

jack white

After Hours
HSC
does anybody else reckon that what they studied didnt really come in handy? like it was a real spur of the moment exam where everything was based on the knowledge stashed away in the dark recesses of your brain?

xbitterflyx

Batmaniac
HSC
I did census and analysis

Im so happy they didnt do social theories coz that was the only think I forgot to study

purplemonkey

HSC
tECHNIQUE q

At least you guys seem to have learnt about techniques, writing for the future! I havent even heard sbout that, maybe because our teacher is an ass-wipe...grrr...I chose scenario writing, just coz I happened to glance at the term in the Excel book before the exam...screwd up the whole exam I think...bullshitted my whole way through....was having a psych during reading time bout the extended response but managed to squeez out 3-4 pages for each....was very disappointed coz Iv managed to be at the top of my class since year11..and then totally bummed out..NOT HAPPY JAN!!

helani

HSC
i thought i t was okay, did scenario writting. the future was something we talked about a lot in class. that was lucky.... good old mr baxter

Kute_Princess

HSC
Technique

can someone jus tell me what the hell the delphi technique is. I saw it on an essay the morning of the exam and couldnt find out what it is. so i identified delphi for the cont & Change question.. then wrote about trend analysis. eep. how much did i screw it ? the answer was heaps good.. .sept i called it the wrong thing??

xbitterflyx

Batmaniac
HSC
purplemonkey said:
At least you guys seem to have learnt about techniques, writing for the future! I havent even heard sbout that, maybe because our teacher is an ass-wipe...grrr...I chose scenario writing, just coz I happened to glance at the term in the Excel book before the exam...screwd up the whole exam I think...bullshitted my whole way through....was having a psych during reading time bout the extended response but managed to squeez out 3-4 pages for each....was very disappointed coz Iv managed to be at the top of my class since year11..and then totally bummed out..NOT HAPPY JAN!!

I dont remember learning it I kinda just made it up lol... talked to my teacher after wards and she thinks I did the right thing

jaihson

HSC
I think I stuffed up the continuity and change question. yeah i just happened to glance at the term 'scenario writing' somewhere and did it. Im not sure what the technique involves tho.

angelar

delphi technique is the 'think thank' one where they get 10 or so professionals to hypothesise about the porblems and the future, and then bring them all together yto share heir ideas for the future and then if they dont all have similar thoughts, then they all argue and discuss it until they reach a consensus.

I was so gonna use that one and i started to write about it but then i happened to glance back at part b which says use the technique u chose to predict the furture of your country and got scared figuring i cant be ten people...if ya get me. lol

i ended up doing forecasting

hYperTrOphY

HSC
How did everyone answer part (b)?

I talked about the country's population, education system, military expenditure and trade/GDP.

belissimo

HSC
Cont and Change Question

I used trend extrapolation for the last core question. Im so glad I went over futures before the exam. Our teacher was stressing its importance to us, so i thought i better learn it.

At first, I was a bit like "what the hell?". I didnt expect an entire question devoted to predicting futures, but I think that i might have done ok. I was expecting a social change question, where I could write about gender and all that.

I suppose that the board had to put it in eventually. Just glad I studied it.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
My teacher is a bitch and never taught anything. I fucken hate her. Luckily i said trends, statistical analysis etc but i didnt use the correct terminology.

I was talking about population, tourism, health, urbanisation, modernisation and i dnt know what i said, but i hate my teacher. I cant beleive she didnt teach us that at all. When we saw it in reading time, we all turned to each other and went SHIT.

Last edited:

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
The thing with this question IMO is that you could concievably use any S&C technique to predict the future.

I went on a totally different path because although we had explored the future of Vietnam, we hadn't ever studied techniques. So I said that considering social theories outline how change comes about in the society, exploring how the functionalist theory had impacted Vietnam in the present predicts how the slow, gradual change will continue occuring...and then went on about Doi Moi and the opening up of the economy to foreign investors spells the greater impact of globalisation on the agrarian culture, etc etc etc.

Me hopes me did not completely stuff up. I thought my argument was fairly storng so I hope they don't discount it.

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
Hmm, I basically wrote "analysing past trands and identifying continuities and changes" *shrugs* It seems that trend exploration is the same thing, I just didn't use that term. In the second part I spoke about values, beliefs and lifestyles, such as traditions, festivals and consumerism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)