Control of gene expression in eukaryotes (1 Viewer)

nesstar

I'm a bit confused about methylation/demethylation and acetylation/deacetylation. I'm just going to outline my shaky understanding, so if someone could clarify, correct or confirm that would be very helpful!

Unpacking of DNA involves DNA demethylation and histone acetylation
Methylation and deacetylation block the DNA from expression.

nesstar

i feel stupid replying to my own post, but I have another (semi-related) question!

how does protein degradation control gene expression?

malkin86

HSC
what are these terms? why have I never heard of them before?

with protein degredation - genes are made from proteins, and the products of genes are polypeptides, which is protein - so if protein degrades at any stage, the product and effects are limited and go wrong.

nesstar

I don't think we need to know them but I just found them in my textbook...prob more detail than is required...but i did manage to work out the first question....

thanks for the second answer tho....is that all we need to know about it?
I thought that it was saying that degrading a protein stops the expression of the gene (basically the same as what u said)...but this sounds too simple....

pink_and_blue

HSC
Stages of gene expression

nesstar said:
I'm a bit confused about methylation/demethylation and acetylation/deacetylation. I'm just going to outline my shaky understanding, so if someone could clarify, correct or confirm that would be very helpful!

Unpacking of DNA involves DNA demethylation and histone acetylation
Methylation and deacetylation block the DNA from expression.

There are a number of stages at which gene expression can be controlled in eucaryotic cells. While transcription is an important stage, it is not the only one.

STAGE ONE - UNPACKING - DNA is bundled or wound around protiens called histones to form structures called nucleosomes in the nucleus of cells. This helps to store a large amount of DNA in a small space. But it also regulates gene expression. Genes that are permenently switched off my be packed very tightly or highly condensed. It is like storing winter clothes in mothballs in clothes bags. The addition of acetyl groups (-COCH3) has the opposited effect. Because the acetyl groups bind to the histone (protien) instead of the DNA, the histones change shape and bind less tightly to the DNA. This allows transcription of the DNA to occur more easily.

STAGE TWO - TRANSCRIPTION: This is a very common control point for gene expression. It is the point at which DNA is transcribed by RNA polymerase. In eucaryotic cells, each gene has its own promoter. It has control elements (pieces of non-coding DNA) that bind to transcription factors and the promotor to initiate the activity of RNA polymerase.

STAGE THREE - REGULATION OF m-RNA: The average length of a gene along a DNA molecule is about 8000 bases. Therefore the m-RNA produced from the DNA template is also 8000 bases long. It has been found that only about 1200 nucleotides (therefore bases) are required to produce an average protien of 400 amino acids long. So there must be a large amount of DNA and consequently m-RNA that is not coded into protien. The surprising finding was made that these non-coding nucleotides are interspersed among the coding nucleotides. The non-coding parts are called intervening sequences or introns and since the coding pars are expressed they are called exons. The introns must be cut out before the m-RNA leaves the nucleus. Then the exons are stuck together or spliced. One way of changing the expression of genes is to treat different segments as introns or exons in different cases so producing different m-RNA molecules from the same RNA transcript. Some genes are regulated in this way. Regulatory protiens control the splicing and may be different in different cells.
The ends of the transcribed RNA are 'capped' with protective nucleotides that prevent breakdown by hydrolytic enzymes and also help the m_RNA to attatch to the ribosome. Gene regulation may also take place by shortening the life of the m-RNA so that protien synthesis is stopped. This is done by the removal of the protective caps, after which the m-RNA is degraded.
In some cases the movement of m-RNA out of the nucleus is a stage at which the regulation of gene expression may occur. Some protiens facilitate this movement and the introns themselves play a role in either retaining the RNA in the nucleus or allowing it to move to the cytomplasm.

STAGE FOUR - CONTROL OF TRANSLATION: Translation of the m-RNA can be blocked if specific protiens bind to the m-RNA so that it connot attatch to the ribosomes.

STAGE FIVE - PROTEIN PROCESSING AND DEGRADATION: Gene expression can still take place even when the polypeptide is synthesised. Frequently, polypeptides must be processed in order to produce functional protiens. This may involve folding, cleavage (cutting of parts) or the addition of non-protien sections such as carbohydrates or lipids or other activating parts. The processed protein may then need to be transported to its site of action. Regulation may occur if any of these steps is inhibited. Some proteins have short used-by dates and must be degraded. This degradation acts as a control for the expression of the gene that produces the protein. Huge 'garbage bins' called proteasomes collect them and the proteasome enzymes destory the protiens. Defective and damaged protiens are also removed in this way.
Sometimes this has serious consequences. The disease cystic fibrosis is caused by a mutation in a gene that produces a protein involved in the transport of chloride ions across membranes. This results in a defective protein, which is degraded by proteasomes so there is no chloride ion channel protein.

There you go...hope that helps ;)

nesstar

thanks for that....is it from the txt book...um can't remember the name...the butterfly one? cos it sounds very familiar...do u understand the whole acetylation business? if so, would u plz more explicitly explain it...i still dun really get it exactly...

Bec1234

HSC
The histones form a complex that is used to compact DNA. Basically the DNA strand is wrapped around an octamer of H2a, H2b, H3 and H4 (1 3/4 times around per nucleosome core), and they form a string of nucleosomes (which are like beads on a necklace, made up of wrapping the string around the beads). To compact the DNA further, H1 is used to coil the nucleosomes (the complex of histones + DNA) into a supercoiled scaffold.

Acetylation of the histones causes the scaffold to break down. RNA polymerase cannot initiate transcription if a nucleosome is present, so the nucleosome needs to be removed so that transcription can begin. Once the scaffold has broken back down to a linear chain of nucleosomes, transcription factors can access the DNA, bind to promoter sequences, and 'promote' the transcription of DNA.

I really don't think you need to know this at all for the HSC though ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)